Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another lengthy bit about the D

http://bit.ly/13aD2IW

as usual, some good, some bad, some true, some bullshit

It was a long but worthwhile read. I liked his descriptions of the four economies of Detroit -- 1-the old industrial-auto, 2-the pizza-entertainment, 3-the Slows BBQ-hipster, and 4-the all-the-rest among which scuffling, scrapping and crime are job creators.

I don't know how that would sit with the high-brow economists but it is thought-provoking and makes for an interesting take. Throughout it all he doesn't avoid the elephant in our room, racism and it twin -- poverty, putting the relationship clear perspective throughout and connecting it to our decline.

He makes a couple of slips, like calling Oakland County the 4th richest county in the country - it's down to 100th and something now. [I stepped in that one on another thread and got cuffed down quickly by the forum. ha ha. But in both cases it shows the fast-moving nature of our regional decline.]

At the outset he notes, "Detroit has become a screen onto which people project whatever political viewpoint they have." I had written pretty much the same in a letter to a friend in NJ who had mentioned reading a New Republic article on the Argonaut Building and Detroit - a 3rd economy story of sorts.

...media, artists, scholars and the curious from around the world are flocking here. Due to the exposure from the 15 year life of DetroitYES , I am regularly contacted by all of the above. 'Coming to stare into the abyss' as I call it. All find it jaw-dropping. Too many come laden with preset opinions with the aim of using Detroit to reinforce them and telling Detroit how to fix itself. A few get it but most walk away shaking their heads and pointing fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    He makes a couple of slips, like calling Oakland County the 4th richest county in the country - it's down to 100th and something now.
    From fourth place to 100th place? And people keep harping that everything in Michigan outside of Detroit is doing just spiffy? I hope people stick with that silly attitude. Michigan was the only state to LOSE population in the 2010 census. 49 states gained population, Michigan was the sole exception.

Wow.

People think all of Michigan's problems are Detroit. I hope they keep thinking that. Don't worry about addressing the brain drain, don't worry about addressing the fact that people graduate from Michigan colleges and break their necks trying to get out of this place. Just keep repeating the same failures [[Yes, Detroit is guilty of that too). No need to change direction. We're all fine. Just stay out of Detroit and everything will be just wonderful.

I was bored by the third paragraph.

It really seemed like a lot of the same old, except they were willing to admit that both sides are dumb as hell in this argument. Then they went on to be fairly non-constructive and point fingers rather than discussing their four-part economy idea and how we can take those four and make them work together to build a better city.

I stopped reading when the "white racism" bomb was dropped in the article.

Interesting and the truth. Good read

Overall I thought the article had more depth than most of what I've seen. The four economies made a lot of sense to me. His points about new capabilities and inventions arising out of necessity is important and often missed.