Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dally in the Alley 2013

Been to nearly every one. Enjoy visiting the neighborhood where I came of age, and meeting old neighbors. However, the years have taken their toll, and I have seen very few of that crowd the past few times.

We recognize only a couple of this year's scheduled bands. Does anyone have recommendations for "must see" performers?

We'll be in our green lawn chairs, near the Forest Stage, much of the time. Drop by and say hello. Peace.
    Last edited by admin; September-01-13 at 02:26 PM.

For reference visit the Dally in the Alley website.

I know that feeling. Never lived near or on campus but my husband and I are both wsu grads. He 1974, me 1975. Haven't seen any of our old crowd down there for years.

I would recommend seeing Pewter Cub at the Garden Stage at 3:15pm. My friend is in the band and they are pretty fantastic. Beyond that, there are a few bands I am interested in, but I mostly go to spend time with my friends and hang out. My girlfriend lives less than a block away, and I myself am over in Woodbridge, so it is VERY relaxing to be that close to such a fun event.

Almost forgot, I need an old disposable clean couch if anyone has one. A three seater would be perfect. Free martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives on private property next to beer booth behind Hancock nearest 2nd for anyone who can donate one. Woodward22 offered one but it sounds too long for the space we have. If anyone close has a couch that needs to be gone PM me.

As far as the years taking their toll, I think that happens to us all. Being a regular for almost two decades now, I still manage to see alot of the same old crowd, but many have kids and attend earlier. Since I'm usually working Saturdays I manage to get down there around 6 or 7 and still see many familiar faces.

I do know a couple people who claim to have originated the event, and are credited with such, and they won't go near the place, and haven't in years. Which I always find so strange, because there's the same group of crazies, activists and otherwise, the insense [[weed) smells the same, and the beer, if you must pay for it, is provided by a local business. The event still has no advertising, no corporate sponsorship, and even though it's expanded several times over the years, it's still the best street fair around.

And the last two years, the stage which is essentially behind university market has had great closing acts,[[ the Third Coast Kings last year were fantastic). Hopefully they manage to pull that feat off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I do know a couple people who claim to have originated the event, and are credited with such, and they won't go near the place, and haven't in years. Which I always find so strange, because there's the same group of crazies, activists and otherwise, the insense [[weed) smells the same, and the beer, if you must pay for it, is provided by a local business. The event still has no advertising, no corporate sponsorship, and even though it's expanded several times over the years, it's still the best street fair around.
    I've always been confused by this. The festival has stayed very true to their roots, featuring all local acts, no sponsorship, etc, yet you get people saying the festival is just "Not What It Was", or that its "Too Cool" now. Its pretty one of the only non-heavily sponsored festivals around, and features tons of awesome, totally independent goods and music.

This year we are shutting down Forest between 2nd and 3rd earlier than usual. Tonight at 6PM. Normally we wait till about 6AM day of the Dally but this will make the set up so much easier. Sorry about the ass pain. DALLY ON!

Django- let me know if you need anything

pgn421
    Bring a reasonably good bottle of Vodka. I recommend Crystal Palace. $12.50 for a half gallon. Decent taste for the value. Plus a bottle of Noilly Prat dry vermouth [[a little high end) for a decent martini.

Stay off the couch. Give him our regards. He will know.

Currently sitting on my deck in the alley, waiting for the power to come back on. Seems like set-up is still chugging along, but it's hard to tell. No activity in the alley, really, but the street lights are on on forest and Hancock so that stuff is going up.

No power? This might be the reason.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-without-power

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    pgn421
    Bring a reasonably good bottle of Vodka. I recommend Crystal Palace. $12.50 for a half gallon. Decent taste for the value. Plus a bottle of Noilly Prat dry vermouth [[a little high end) for a decent martini.
    That's funny. Don't skimp on the vermouth.

I'll be there 4-7pm. I'll be the dude wearing the old Vernor's work shirt. Looking forward to a martini with Ghettoblaster chaser.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I've always been confused by this. The festival has stayed very true to their roots, featuring all local acts, no sponsorship, etc, yet you get people saying the festival is just "Not What It Was", or that its "Too Cool" now. Its pretty one of the only non-heavily sponsored festivals around, and features tons of awesome, totally independent goods and music.
    Some people just like to complain. Every year, Burning Man was better last year.

Dally was great! Good turnout !

Downriviera, sorry I missed you. I do the set up, take down, and clean up so I had to go home and take a nap during the actual Dally. I did get to hook up Bobl with a martini and hung out with PGN for a few minutes. Id like to thank Woodward22 for the sweet black leather couch he donated to the cause of drinking martinis. Ronj [[aka Sue) , I went with mid shelf Smirnoff this year. Ill be back down there making martinis about 10:30 if anyones still around. Thats when all the craziness happens. DALLY ON!
    Last edited by Django; September-07-13 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Downriviera, sorry I missed you. I do the set up, take down, and clean up so I had to go home and take a nap during the actual Dally. I did get to hook up Bobl with a martini and hung out with PGN for a few minutes. Id like to thank Woodward22 for the sweet black leather couch he donated to the cause of drinking martinis. Ronj [[aka Sue) , I went with mid shelf Smirnoff this year. Ill be back down there making martinis about 10:30 if anyones still around. Thats when all the craziness happens. DALLY ON!
    Hey that isn't fair, "Ron aka sue" . Ron is his own person. Never met a more stubborn person in fact. He does not drink anymore but wishes he could. Hope your Martini couch was good fun. Send me T shirts.

Tempus Fugit.
    Yes, for the second year, did not run into any old neighbors at the Dally. Most were older faculty staff and grad students. I was just a kid escaping the suburbs.
    Django: Thank you for your kind hospitality. Downriviera: I looked for a Vernors shirt. I suspect we have met. Maybe next year.
    I think, but am not sure, that Colleen and I were the only human beings there with no tattoos.
    Kudos to the staff. Hope to volunteer next year. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Hey that isn't fair, "Ron aka sue" . Ron is his own person. Never met a more stubborn person in fact. He does not drink anymore but wishes he could. Hope your Martini couch was good fun. Send me T shirts.
    OK You got me, I thought you were posting as Ron. My bad.

Yep, your bad. Once in a blue moon I do post under Ron's name just cause I get lazy. Didn't post I think for close to a year because the forum got so negative. Give me a little credit, if it was me, I always said it was me.

Ron and I have been together for eons, we do not always agree on issues. We do agree, it is ok to disagree. That makes a good marriage. 42 years together and married 38. Love that man.

I still remind people this is Detroit YES.

Somewhat amused that people thought I got bumped from the forum. I rarely swear, support Detroit with all its warts and pimples and only occasionally go on attack. Really just couldn't handle physically the trolls.

So ok, where are my T shirts? Sumas

Sue, you know I love you, and you do me even though I have many more warts.

I couldnt get a single extra shirt this year. Tomorrow may be different. If I can I will. This year I didnt even get a Dally Crew shirt.

On another note, the security were all carrying sidearms, I did not like that one bit. Ill be bringing that up at the next meeting as Im sure others were unaware that we would be having armed guards.

All went smooth otherwise, now I just have to get up and clean the area in the morn. Thank you Woodward22 for the couch this year, Bobl, and of course PGN for stoppin by.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Sue, you know I love you, and you do me even though I have many more warts.

I couldnt get a single extra shirt this year. Tomorrow may be different. If I can I will. This year I didnt even get a Dally Crew shirt.

On another note, the security were all carrying sidearms, I did not like that one bit. Ill be bringing that up at the next meeting as Im sure others were unaware that we would be having armed guards.

All went smooth otherwise, now I just have to get up and clean the area in the morn. Thank you Woodward22 for the couch this year, Bobl, and of course PGN for stoppin by.
    Nah, it's your dimples, not warts, I love.

No worries Django, the Ghettoblaster was enough for me. My old Vernor's work shirt drew a lot of attention. One guy even asked me why he doesn't cough anymore when he drinks it. Great crowd, loved the music, and the people watching can't be beat. Like seeing the dogs too, especially the Rhodesian Ridgeback. I'll try to spend more time there next year.

Sorry to have missed it...and the couch...this year. We're days deep into a recording project with Audra, and decided that we needed to continue the momentum. Not an easy decision, but time is a cruel and domineering bitch.

Can we find a way to KEEP this couch around, Django? This yearly effort is a curious expense of energy...

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast