Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Prince Valley Gigante Market

A cook prepared poyo on large grill at the entrance of this store which has a huge, neatly painted mural on its exterior.The painting is not tacky like the ones on some of the party stores and shoppes that sell goods in the inner city. There was a self serve Mexican pastry department where customers can place rich made with wheat pastries on a tray and have them weighed and packaged. The service meat and seafood shoppe carries thin sliced Black Angus ribeye steak priced at a bargain 5.99 lb, and marinated meats like al pastor [[pork taco meat with onion in a marinade) stirfry and thin sliced chuck steak marinated also....there was a huge selection of packaged meats, and shelves stocked full of dry goods including Mexican salsas and bottled marinades...the dairy department had some fresh salsas and flour tortillas...prices were high to average compared to other markets. I tried a combo sampler from the Mexican grille restaurant, the chicken was bland and refried beans were flavorless and the tostada shell was overcooked. but it was almost closing for them so I would probably give another dish a go next time around...last but far from least the staff was very friendly and helpful....all in all it was a fun shopping and dining experience...this foodie highly recommends the al pastor on gluten free tortillas, quick and easy to cook! The stir fry is delicious as well....

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    A cook prepared poyo on large grill at the entrance of this store which has a huge, neatly painted mural on its exterior.The painting is not tacky like the ones on some of the party stores and shoppes that sell goods in the inner city. There was a self serve Mexican pastry department where customers can place rich made with wheat pastries on a tray and have them weighed and packaged. The service meat and seafood shoppe carries thin sliced Black Angus ribeye steak priced at a bargain 5.99 lb, and marinated meats like al pastor [[pork taco meat with onion in a marinade) stirfry and thin sliced chuck steak marinated also....there was a huge selection of packaged meats, and shelves stocked full of dry goods including Mexican salsas and bottled marinades...the dairy department had some fresh salsas and flour tortillas...prices were high to average compared to other markets. I tried a combo sampler from the Mexican grille restaurant, the chicken was bland and refried beans were flavorless and the tostada shell was overcooked. but it was almost closing for them so I would probably give another dish a go next time around...last but far from least the staff was very friendly and helpful....all in all it was a fun shopping and dining experience...this foodie highly recommends the al pastor on gluten free tortillas, quick and easy to cook! The stir fry is delicious as well....
    Is this the one on MI Ave., between Martin & Livernois? I'll have to check them out.

The grill is essentially cafeteria food that is appealing to the laborers who seem to live in rented rooms and who drop in for a hot meal. It is never very fancy and can't be compared to a real restaurant.
    However, the pastry chef is a very talented person! Did you see those party cakes? Gorgeous. Many topped Parisian-style with beautiful glazed berries and tiny fruits.
    Gigante prides itself on it's fresh tortillas and salsa and they are very good.
    Meat is a bargain and the butcher shop is excellent and well-stocked.
    There are always oxtails and various cuts of lamb that you read about in cookbooks but rarely find in stores. In the dairy case you can buy fresh cremas- the cultured creams that are superior to our sour cream and that resemble French creme fraiche.
    I buy turkey necks there for my dogs and trays of chicken necks that the dogs
    think are cookies.
    Gigante Prince Valley is on Michigan Ave. west of Junction. It is not pretty and suburban, but it is immaculate and prideful.
    Last edited by SWMAP; August-31-13 at 09:05 PM.

The store is farther east of Martin closer to Corktown.
    Last edited by terryh; August-31-13 at 09:21 PM.

It's on Michigan two blocks east of Livernois. Stopped in there a couple weeks ago and they were grilling ribs that smelled fabulous and were selling them for ten bucks a slab. Bought some of the salsa rojo and some of their house made tortilla chips and loved both. It was about 6 o'clock on a Friday and it was very busy. Nice selection of Mexican groceries and the bakery did have beautiful cakes. It was late in the day and a lot of the pastries were low.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The grill is essentially cafeteria food that is appealing to the laborers who seem to live in rented rooms and who drop in for a hot meal. It is never very fancy and can't be compared to a real restaurant.
    However, the pastry chef is a very talented person! Did you see those party cakes? Gorgeous. Many topped Parisian-style with beautiful glazed berries and tiny fruits.
    Gigante prides itself on it's fresh tortillas and salsa and they are very good.
    Meat is a bargain and the butcher shop is excellent and well-stocked.
    There are always oxtails and various cuts of lamb that you read about in cookbooks but rarely find in stores. In the dairy case you can buy fresh cremas- the cultured creams that are superior to our sour cream and that resemble French creme fraiche.
    I buy turkey necks there for my dogs and trays of chicken necks that the dogs
    think are cookies.
    Gigante Prince Valley is on Michigan Ave. west of Junction. It is not pretty and suburban, but it is immaculate and prideful.
    Are they fighting racism & food elitism like Ho' Foods?

Salsa rojo is made fresh there I think Ill have to try the store made chips next time Jcole...

They do have gluten free tortilla shells...lol....If you eat healthy or are on a diet and feel like something decadent this is the place to go lol

Ill have to get the names of the pastries next time..had one that looked like a deep dish pie with raisins...yeah they are yummy..a cup of coffee to wash them down and zoom!

Yes, the salsa rojo is worth another buy and I have to get some fresh tortillas next time. I missed the meat department with the el pastor and stuff. I'm definitely going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are they fighting racism & food elitism like Ho' Foods?
    Of course not. They do not have a PR department in charge of propaganda, they only sell food, not a label.