Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Denim - wash after 6-12 months?????

That's just 'stank' nasty! I've heard about this no washing [[somehow glorified grunge) 'practice'. Ick. Wash your clothes.

I turn my jeans inside out and wash in warm with other darks. Sure they fade over time. I sometimes buy two pairs of a style I really like and as the one pair fades out, I start to wear the next.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-01-13 at 07:24 AM.

Well, this is just plain damned dumb. They tell you not to wash them because they'll fade and then they tell you
    There are a few recommended methods to air out your jeans.
    • leave out in the sun for a day
    • keep in your freezer for a day
    • wear outside all day [[camping etc)
    Which will fade them.

The freezer trick works.

You want me to put dirty jeans in with my FOOD? No way! What is wrong with having them fade over time? Kids are paying megabux for "destroyed" jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Here's an idea. Don't buy overpriced designer jeans, even if they do have "Detroit" somewhere in their name. Wash often, replace yearly.

Isn't that how Ted Nugent avoided the draft?

My husband and I wear the same size and have jeans galore which makes me lazy about doing wash,it can stack for a while but they always get washed. We pretty much have a uni sex wardrobe except I don't wear his suits and he doesn't wear my dresses. Not to wash, ugh!

Learned a new word through this..."selvedge".

Now...to figure out how to repurpose all the old jeans I've not been able to throw out. I've heard of insulation made from recycled denim. Acoustic treatments and speaker fill also.

But jeans made from recycled jeans is new to me. I'm still going to wash mine. Don't need to wait for them to tell me, or chase me around the house.
    Last edited by Gannon; September-01-13 at 07:56 AM.

Levi jeans also recommends "Live in them as long as possible.Wash them as little as possible." http://www.levistrauss.com/blogs/how...jeans-your-own

^^^ LOL! Canon - indeed dirty clothes will 'tell' on you! I used to sew and well selvedged edges are about quality and these jeans look very well made - nice web site, but I'd not wear any clothes unwashed that long.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-01-13 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I turn my jeans inside out and wash in warm with other darks.
    Washing in cold prevents fading.

You're right. I'm just 'old school' on using hot and warm. Ice cold water does not seem to clean to me. Sometimes I use cold in the summer when the water temp in more room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Washing in cold prevents fading.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-01-13 at 09:53 AM.

Well, someone has to step up the game with quality. I've had new Lee's, Levi's, Wranglers and all of them popped at least 1 belt loop before they were two months old

The 'don't wash' thing goes back to mining days when wearing your jeans day in and day out made them more water proof and protected your legs better than a soft clean fabric would have. So unless you're a gold miner, I'd say wash them.

Sounds a bit like a clarion call to those without access to washing machines or laundry mats...

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Levi jeans also recommends "Live in them as long as possible.Wash them as little as possible." http://www.levistrauss.com/blogs/how...jeans-your-own

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sounds a bit like a clarion call to those without access to washing machines or laundry mats...
    And even if they don't, there's a river, and washing can be done the old fashion way.

Well, someone has to step up the game with quality.
    Or BS.......

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Learned a new word through this..."selvedge".

1.) Now...to figure out how to repurpose all the old jeans I've not been able to throw out. I've heard of insulation made from recycled denim. 2.) Acoustic treatments and speaker fill also.

But jeans made from recycled jeans is new to me. I'm still going to wash mine. 3.) Don't need to wait for them to tell me, or chase me around the house.
    1.) During the 2nd War, and after when I was a youngin', they used to have "rag drives". Old cloth, such as cotton, can be turned into a boiled down, fibery mess, then reconstituted as new material. I'm not so sure about polyester.

2.) Again, they would have to be boiled down to a fibery mess, then be fluffed out, and have the same consistency throughout. [[think of the effect a fiberglass lined cabinet has on low frequency response) I don't think just stuffing cabinets with old jeans would work.

3.) Or worse, your friends or significant other.

My workplace allows me to wear jeans everyday. I wear a pair two days in a row, then I wash them.

I never go past two days. Usually the knees wear out or the bottoms of the legs get destroyed before they fade.

I like this thread on threads

I will stick to my Lees, Levis, Wranglers, and Dickies jeans. I am not going to pay more than 40 dollars for a pair of blue jeans. We need to have more stores that sell name brand blue jeans. Those stores would get more customers patronizing them than the Somerset Collection and some of these Made In Detroit expensive stores that had opened in the eastern market area.

You know what I hear is a really good way to care for jeans is to spill PBR all over them and then run over them a few times with your fixed gear bicycle. Make sure you get the gluten-free jeans, though. You don't want glutens in your jeans.

Intersting topic... and there are no real answers.... to each his own. Some folks just excrete fewer "smells" than others. I know some people who wear something once and in the wash it goes. That should be true for socks and underwear, but other items depend on the individual, how much they perspire... etc.

But there are MANY variations out there as to personal habits...

http://lifehacker.com/5991907/how-ma...e-washing-them

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The 'don't wash' thing goes back to mining days when wearing your jeans day in and day out made them more water proof and protected your legs better than a soft clean fabric would have. So unless you're a gold miner, I'd say wash them.
    Maybe, but it certainly has nothing to do with proper care of selvedge denim today.

This isn't specific to Detroit Denim, by the way. This is considered common practice by the hundreds of selvedge denim companies throughout the world. People who know expensive, good denim tend to take care of their jeans this way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast