Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Just me or was Napoleon Stiff as a board and out of his league on morning Joe.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036789/ns...72393#52872393

he was asked about where the money would come from he answered by restating the question and even sayong "some stuff we just cant do"

He was asked about leadership and what message he had. he faltered

He didn't look very good.

On the other hand Suanteel did quite well for national TV.

First thing I noticed was he shaved off his mustache.

I just can't believe that dogshit like this was allowed to rise to the top. I hire for entry level positions and I wouldn't hire this guy as a receptionist. What a fucking idiot. He looks like he struggles not to drool on himself.

I know people bemoan our brave new world but one of the few silver linings of it is that mediocrity isn't tolerated as much anymore. You better bring your game if you want to earn a living, private or public sector.

Quote Originally Posted by kanfar View Post
    First thing I noticed was he shaved off his mustache.
    I suggest he grow it back.

I blame the 24 hour news cycle. Look, the problems Detroit faces [[and really, most any elected position around the country) are too great to be discussed intelligently inside of five minutes. I hate these little snippets that are supposed to substitute for a thorough conversation of how to turn the city around. I wish there was time and money and interest to have much more detailed debate and conversation and vetting of candidates. I'm tired of soundbites, cliches, and friendly catchphrases. Detroit desperately needs so much more than that.

I'm not defending Napoleon, nor suggesting he'd be a good mayor. I'm saying inside of five minutes, Duggan would look just as foolish. When most people interview for a job, even if it is just to flip burgers, the interview lasts longer than five minutes. These guys need to be relentlessly and rigorously vetted without mercy. That is the only way to extract true details about how either man would try to govern the city of Detroit.

Well, that was painful and cringe-inducing ...

Does anyone else think he now kinda looks like Robert Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond"?

Attachment 21295

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I blame the 24 hour news cycle. Look, the problems Detroit faces [[and really, most any elected position around the country) are too great to be discussed intelligently inside of five minutes. I hate these little snippets that are supposed to substitute for a thorough conversation of how to turn the city around. I wish there was time and money and interest to have much more detailed debate and conversation and vetting of candidates. I'm tired of soundbites, cliches, and friendly catchphrases. Detroit desperately needs so much more than that.

I'm not defending Napoleon, nor suggesting he'd be a good mayor. I'm saying inside of five minutes, Duggan would look just as foolish. When most people interview for a job, even if it is just to flip burgers, the interview lasts longer than five minutes. These guys need to be relentlessly and rigorously vetted without mercy. That is the only way to extract true details about how either man would try to govern the city of Detroit.

I disagree

While the news cycle does not lend to indepth conversation, it does lend to catchphrases rhetoric and and comprehension of simple questions.

kevyn orr's segment he nailed it. he got a lot of info out in a very short window. Saunteel Jenkins nailed hers touching on problems, mentions solutions pointing to things happening she spoke for less than a minute, she was impassioned seemed like she knew up from down and cared about Detroit.

benny, was stiff and looked like deer in headlights. Duggan would have at least "looked" mayoral. benny was more than an empty suit, he was an empty suit with a stick in it, the didnt even move his neck. he looked like an undertaker ready to pull the last couple of fillings out of the city's mouth and cremate it.

Surprised the local media isnt picking up on this. he said neighborhoods at least 10 times in one long run on sentance. it was just words. meant nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Does anyone else think he now kinda looks like Robert Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond"?

Attachment 21295
    hahahaha yes he does!

I thought he did okay in that interview. He might have been a bit somber but din't step in anything. It seemed a sober reflection on the way things are with little wiggle room.

There wasn't anything remarkable for that meaningful, but the position he is running for is not that meaningful right now. It is a bit like running for class president. Promise what you wish but the principal [EFM Orr] has the the final say.

Great politicians get things done behind closed doors and can relate to everyday people. These folks that are excel mostly at interviews and media appearances tend to smile and wave with one arm while they pick your pocket with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Great politicians get things done behind closed doors and can relate to everyday people. These folks that are excel mostly at interviews and media appearances tend to smile and wave with one arm while they pick your pocket with the other.

Napolean both relates to the everyday person AND picks your pocket while doing so! Corrupt is alway corrupt, even if you change his title.

The only thing he was wrong about was downtown not being vibrant 38 yrs. Ago. I think he did and said what he was supposed to. I didn't see anything wrong, he played it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Napolean both relates to the everyday person AND picks your pocket while doing so! Corrupt is alway corrupt, even if you change his title.
    How is Napoleon corrupt? Of what has he been convicted? What has he ever been indicted for?

I agree, he did OK. I liked the rest of the Detroit coverage better

He could have been a little more relaxed, but I don't think he looked that bad. Lowell can weigh in on this, but it seemed like the camera was positioned below eye level causing him to look down at the camera making his neck and cheeks appear unflattering and oversized and that might have contributed to him looking stiff. True, most of what he said was just a rehash of bullet points, but frankly, nothing Duggan has said has moved me very much either. What I don't understand is the caption they showed under his image said, "Businessman with a badge." He said himself in the interview that he was a beat cop at 19, so where's his business background? I thought he was always a cop.

Hah! That's an image!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    ....he looked like an undertaker ready to pull the last couple of fillings out of the city's mouth and cremate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I thought he did okay in that interview. He might have been a bit somber but din't step in anything. It seemed a sober reflection on the way things are with little wiggle room.

There wasn't anything remarkable for that meaningful, but the position he is running for is not that meaningful right now. It is a bit like running for class president. Promise what you wish but the principal [EFM Orr] has the the final say.
    Lowell, I know that you are smarter and wiser than that.

I respect your objection to the EM -- but don't let it cloud your judgement.

The position is crucial.

Detroit really needs strong leadership. Maybe they won't have much legal power -- but their moral leadership is ever-so needed. We need to encourage the best to contribute and help Detroit.

Please don't disparage the need for leadership in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

The position is crucial.

Detroit really needs strong leadership. Maybe they won't have much legal power -- but their moral leadership is ever-so needed. We need to encourage the best to contribute and help Detroit.

Given the limited term of an EM, I expect Orr will be leaving well before the end of the next mayoral term. The next mayor will be a key player in managing the transition back to a more normal form of governance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

The position is crucial.

I have been all over the board with my support for Duggan, regardless, I hope people vote, just vote, for whomever. I agree we need strong leadership and the position is indeed crucial.

ANpolean is a fool. any man who stated that it is ok for a city to run a deficit because the Federal gov't does it should not be elected. Especially for a city in bankruptcy.

...more of the same for Detroit with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3036789/ns...72393#52872393

he was asked about where the money would come from he answered by restating the question and even sayong "some stuff we just cant do"

He was asked about leadership and what message he had. he faltered

He didn't look very good.

On the other hand Suanteel did quite well for national TV.
    Benny is not a great public speaker [[neither is Duggan for that matter). I don't think how you look in front of a camera should determine your fitness for mayor. After all, if that was the case KK would still be mayor. What Benny shows to me is not a lack of knowing what the problems are or that in a general way they should be fixed, but how they should be fixed which requires some knowledge of the policy involved in fixing these problems. Benny to this point has fallen short of understanding the policy issues underlining the cities problems. This is probably why he looked so stiff and frankly unprepared in front of the camera's. This approach is not going to work too much longer and I hope that he and his advisors understand that. As for Saunteel I feel she and Lisa Howze are among the new wave of city leaders, and I hope for big things from them.

Problem with Benny is that once Duggan was taken off the ballot, he believed all he had to do was run out the clock, avoid making any major gaffe and he was the next mayor. He never seemed to register the serious competition posed by Duggan when he re-entered the race as a write in candidate.

And face it, the guy's just plain mediocre. There wasn't a syllable in his metro times interview that indicated measurable brain activity.

He's the Wizard of Oz candidate, no brain, no heart, no guts.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Problem with Benny is that once Duggan was taken off the ballot, he believed all he had to do was run out the clock, avoid making any major gaffe and he was the next mayor. He never seemed to register the serious competition posed by Duggan when he re-entered the race as a write in candidate.

And face it, the guy's just plain mediocre. There wasn't a syllable in his metro times interview that indicated measurable brain activity.

He's the Wizard of Oz candidate, no brain, no heart, no guts.
    If Detroit were a thriving city and we just needed a mayor to maintain the status quo, move things along while making some small incremental changes Benny would definitely be the guy. However Detroit is literally at a crossroads and mediocre won't cut it