Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default East Detroit to Eastpointe

Passing through Eastpointe the other day got me to wonderin', when did the name change take place? A little research and I was somewhat surprised that the name change took place in 1992, after a vote.

I am curious, who voted for the change? Who proposed the change? I would think that changing the name of a city entails a lot, and is likely fairly costly to change everything over. The city itself seem to resemble many of our other blue collar communities, be it down river, or even Warren, Harper Woods, or Sterling Heights to the north. What it doesn't seem to resemble is anything to do with any of the other pointes. Anybody out there offer any insight into this name change?

Also, if being East Detroit was so offensive, why did the high schools there keep the name?

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Passing through Eastpointe the other day got me to wonderin', when did the name change take place? A little research and I was somewhat surprised that the name change took place in 1992, after a vote.

I am curious, who voted for the change?
    Some of the residents of that city, although John and Martha McCauley on Mabray were on vacation, so they missed the election.

Who proposed the change?
    I forget the grumpy old guy's name who spent 10 years championing the idea.

I would think that changing the name of a city entails a lot, and is likely fairly costly to change everything over. The city itself seem to resemble many of our other blue collar communities, be it down river, or even Warren, Harper Woods, or Sterling Heights to the north. What it doesn't seem to resemble is anything to do with any of the other pointes. Anybody out there offer any insight into this name change?

Also, if being East Detroit was so offensive, why did the high schools there keep the name?
    The thinking was that the name East Detroit made is seem like a neighborhood of the larger city more than an independent political entity. There was also a fair amount of racism involved, although the old crotchety guy denied this.

The schools didn't change names because the proposal was only to change the city's name. There would have had to be a separate issue on the ballot to change them. That's true in any area. The schools are a separate legal entity.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    There was also a fair amount of racism involved

If Detroit were all white, white suburbanites would still want to disassociate from it. The reason for the name change was because many people, including George Larowski [[I think that is the name of the guy behind it) were tired of hearing television reporters say "Reporting from east Detroit" whenever they were at a crime scene on the east side of Detroit.

I personally voted against it. I thought it was stupid. It didn't cost a whole lot of money. Letterhead paper and envelopes and signs have to be reordered and repainted regularly anyway. The school district isn't part of the city [[it even includes part of Warren). Many school districts don't have the same name as the city they are located in.

Why "pointe"? Eastpointe probably has [[had) more in common with the middle class areas of The Pointes [[yes, there are some) than with Detroit.

Basically, they wanted the “Detroit” out of their name. They figured the word “Pointed” carried much more grandeur so Pointe it became. The name change came right at a time when the city started slipping into shithole territory. It’s sad to see my childhood neighborhood turn into a slum.

I can talk about this quite a bit. The first house I ever lived in was in East Detroit. The garage backed into 8 Mile Road and the neighborhood was pretty strong with a solid middle-class. Within a year [[1986 or so) we started to see more shit happen with mostly hillbilly renters. Engine blocks in driveways, lots of broken beer bottles, and just a bad environment for kids. That, coupled with the crime that spilled over from the Detroit side made the place unlivable so we fled.

It was originally part of Erin Township, then it was called the Village Of Halfway. It was halfway between Detroit and Mt Clemens.
    I grew up there, and after high school I immediately left. It was too quiet, calm, and homogenized. The Wayne State/Cass Corridor neighborhoods beckoned. More diversity. Revolution in the air. Cheap rent.
    Later, as my father aged, I was grateful for the quiet and calm in his neighborhood. He safely lived his quiet life in the home he purchased for $7,500 right after WWII.
    Now, crime has increased. Too many homes for sale. The old crowd is gone.
    Still a lot of potential as a "bedroom community" if jobs come back.

I am curious, who voted for the change? Who proposed the change? I would think that changing the name of a city entails a lot, and is likely fairly costly to change everything over. The city itself seem to resemble many of our other blue collar communities, be it down river, or even Warren, Harper Woods, or Sterling Heights to the north. What it doesn't seem to resemble is anything to do with any of the other pointes. Anybody out there offer any insight into this name change?

To put it short and simply, the residents wanted no association with crime-ridden/corrupt big city Detroit.

Actually, the first attempt to use the name Eastpointe was begun in the East English Village area, wasn't it?
    There was an effort to secede from the City Of Detroit, a decade before Mr Lawroski [[sp?) suggested the name for East Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To put it short and simply, the residents wanted no association with crime-ridden/corrupt big city Detroit.
    And to disassociate themselves with Coleman and his corrupt dictatorship.

Kid Rock made a song about this early in his career. It samples a Billy Joel song and has some punk style parts in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihpgi5BSwSA

I remember news reports that stated that the property values in ED/EP jumped after the name change. There was also an interview with a business owner, home improvement of some sort that said he was always getting questions about the safety of the area after he told the callers that he was located in ED.

Based on some of the comments from people that have lived in ED/EP I'm obviously not getting a good read on the city when I've been there. Albeit based on my limited travels through the city it seems to have a pretty good housing stock that are for the most part well taken care of.

I remember a lot of controversy over it. Seems like I can remember that Coleman took it personally and did a bunch of his usual but useless huffing and puffing and blathering.

What I found funny about it was the name they chose, "Eastpointe" to make it sound as if the place had some connection to the much tonier Grosse Pointes. Not to mention the bothersome little geographic fact that the town is actually to the west of the Grosse Pointes.

Now, if Harper Woods had changed its name to Somethingpointe at least it would make some sense, since it was once part of Grosse Pointe Township. But if East Detroit really had to have a name change it seems to me that they should have changed it to something much more in keeping with the real historical, social, and geographic place of the community, like, say, South Roseville, or, better yet, East Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What I found funny about it was the name they chose, "Eastpointe" to make it sound as if the place had some connection to the much tonier Grosse Pointes. Not to mention the bothersome little geographic fact that the town is actually to the west of the Grosse Pointes.

Now, if Harper Woods had changed its name to Somethingpointe at least it would make some sense, since it was once part of Grosse Pointe Township. But if East Detroit really had to have a name change it seems to me that they should have changed it to something much more in keeping with the real historical, social, and geographic place of the community, like, say, South Roseville, or, better yet, East Warren.
    Yeah, as a former East Detroit resident, I thought the name change to "pointe" was ludicrous and superficial. Heck, it's not even really east of Detroit.

It would've been better [[IMO at the time) for the city's name to revert to Erin [[as in Erin Township); or better yet, back to Halfway, a name with historical significance to the area and which sounds just a little quirky. Apparently the name-change-pushers did not want history or quirkiness, just a weak psychological illusion. It was probably just as well that by the time East Detroit made the change to Eastie Pointie, I'd moved away.

I grew up in Harper Woods and after ED changed its name, I referred to it as Grosse Detroit.

crawford Guest

Instead of Eastpointe they should have called it Eastfield Hills. Even better for property values.

MIRepublic Guest

Yeah, no joke, crawford. People run to the fields, and hills, and pointes and parks in Detroit. lol Perhaps, Eastfield Hills Pointe or Eastwoode Hills Parke or Eastparke Hills' Woods' would have been even tonier. ha!

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    I grew up in Harper Woods and after ED changed its name, I referred to it as Grosse Detroit.
    That's ironic.

stinkbug Guest

Detroit should have changed its name to "Pointe".

Apparently from the stories around here that name change didn't help much come the glorious 21st century. A rust-belt community by any other name still crashes and burns as hard as the other.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    Detroit should have changed its name to "Pointe".
    I propose "Westpointe". Then, the Pointes would all change their names to South St. Clair Park/Woods/Shores/Farms.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    Good one, SJ.

Why not California-ize it:
    Rancho Eastpointe

I like the late Coleman Young's comment on why they felt the need for a name change: "obviously its clearly racist".

I always wondered why the city fathers never considered -- if there was to be a name change -- the name of Eastwood. It would have had a historical connection to the old Eastwood Park amusement park, which was located in the community at 8 Mile and Gratiot, and it also would have made a slight reference to Harper Woods, which is nearby. Eastwood would have also eliminated the confusion over why Eastpointe is not east of the Pointes.

The name of Eastwood also would have carried none of the ridiculous association with the Grosse Pointes.
    Last edited by Fury13; July-14-09 at 10:38 PM.

crawford Guest

"The Estates at Eastpointe Hills" would have been perfect.

Or maybe "City of NOT Detroit"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    It was originally part of Erin Township, then it was called the Village Of Halfway. It was halfway between Detroit and Mt Clemens.
    I grew up there, and after high school I immediately left. It was too quiet, calm, and homogenized. The Wayne State/Cass Corridor neighborhoods beckoned. More diversity. Revolution in the air. Cheap rent.
    Later, as my father aged, I was grateful for the quiet and calm in his neighborhood. He safely lived his quiet life in the home he purchased for $7,500 right after WWII.
    Now, crime has increased. Too many homes for sale. The old crowd is gone.
    Still a lot of potential as a "bedroom community" if jobs come back.
    Duh, Bobl, it only takes me re-browsing days later to realize we may have been neighbors at one point or another. The only school I attended was EDHS because I was 14 when we moved there in 1968 [[from Georgia St., of all places). Graduated 1972. Ended up with friends in all corners of the town so I could walk anywhere in town and find someone to hang with. Spent many a summer evening in the early 70s in Kennedy Park with a group of peaceful pals giving the air a smoky, fragrant haze...

My mom sold her house in 1984 [[I'd not lived there for 10 years by that time), but one of my brothers bought a place near 9 and Gratiot in the 1990s. I visited him a few weeks ago. His street seems to have as many unoccupied homes as occupied but everything seems to be reasonably well-kept around there in spite of that. Small consolation since he's right near one of the closed elementary schools...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast