Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default World's Finest will be shot here next year. Superman-Batman movie in Michigan

http://www.freep.com/article/2013082...troit-michigan

I wonder what kind of industry would have sprung up if this program hadn't been gutted when Snyder first started.

Ah well, sequel to my favorite movie this summer is shooting in the D, and I'll actually watch this one, unlike that caca Transformers.

A well subsidized industry, that's what...

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I wonder what kind of industry would have sprung up if this program hadn't been gutted when Snyder first started.
    The kind that would leave in a heartbeat when another state bribed them with a dollar more. Support of the film incentives is a testament to economic illiteracy.

I'm sure a lot of people will be shot here next year!

Sorry. Really. That was just wide open.

The producers should take advantage of the various buildings/storefronts, etc. that are in really bad disrepair and need demolishing. This way, buildings can be blown up, and when the production crew hauls the debris away some blight can be removed from the city. I wonder if Dan Gilbert will cameo as a business rival of Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    The kind that would leave in a heartbeat when another state bribed them with a dollar more. Support of the film incentives is a testament to economic illiteracy.
    agreed. if our tax dollars are to be used to attract an industry, how about one that is actually making a long term investment? manufacturing, bio-med, IT, etc come to mind.

I love this forum.... you bitch if you provide tax incentives for movie makers... and you bitch if they're taken away....

how funny that you all will Bitch about Some incentives.
    I have worked in the Film industry for over 20 years. the Film incentives where and are a great thing. had I been born and live in Texas or Oklahoma, I would not complain about the Billions that are given to that Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    agreed. if our tax dollars are to be used to attract an industry, how about one that is actually making a long term investment? manufacturing, bio-med, IT, etc come to mind.

I agree it'd be killer to have an industry come into the state that has that sort of commitment, but they're few and far. The days of people going to work for a company 40+ hours a week for 30 years with a fully funded pension are long gone.

I know some people that work in the production field and they are some of the hardest working people I know. They're not the traditional job models of being 9 to 5 but they're steadily employed, pay taxes, spend regularly within their communities, and work their asses off for what I see as pretty decent wages. From what I see- they work hard and get paid for it. They realize that if they slack off or want to kick back, the paycheck doesn't come in.

Now I'm not going to get into union bashing here because that's the low hanging fruit in saying that some of their brethren coast, but I'm much more disgusted with the people that don't want to work hard for a buck- union or non-union alike. Have some ambition people!!! Work hard for not just your paycheck, but your pride and self respect too.

But the one thing I seem to have noticed too when there is some sort of TV or movie production happening around town [[prime example is when they built that ridiculous set for Transformers downtown)- the general population seems to have a good buzz about them. I don't recall hearing people bash these folks here. If anything they're down there snapping shots, posting them on Facebook, and having a measure of pride in the city.

Okay so pride doesn't pay the grocery bills or keep the lights on, but it is a feel good for the city even if it's temporary. And I'm all for commerce happening in this town some how some way.

Default Batman vs Super man in the D

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-29539431.html

Man of Steel 2 to be filmed in Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-29539431.html

Man of Steel 2 to be filmed in Detroit...
    You did read the very first post in this thread, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wonder if Dan Gilbert will cameo as a business rival of Bruce Wayne.
    I'm not sure about that, but in a Simpson episode, Matty Maroun will be cast as an evil rival to Montgomery Burns.

Quote Originally Posted by callmefbm View Post
    You did read the very first post in this thread, right?
    There were 2 threads that got merged.

An interesting take on taxpayer subsidies towards the movie industry....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes...cid=spartandhp

Maybe Snyder did the right thing after all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    An interesting take on taxpayer subsidies towards the movie industry....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes...cid=spartandhp

Maybe Snyder did the right thing after all.....
    Maybe, but what did he replace it with? Leaded water?Where are all these corporations and jobs instead, that he promised?

This is one of the few things that both conservative and liberal think tanks agree on.

Now, trying to explain that to people back when this was all going down... liberals don't mind getting shafted by big business as long as it let's them entertain their personal fantasies about being aspiring actors and supporting local "artists"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    This is one of the few things that both conservative and liberal think tanks agree on.

Now, trying to explain that to people back when this was all going down... liberals don't mind getting shafted by big business as long as it let's them entertain their personal fantasies about being aspiring actors and supporting local "artists"...
    I'm not sure if I understood your point, but besides "personal fantasies about aspiring actors and supporting local "artists"..." having been remotely involved with a couple of filmings in Detroit, I saw a lot of unemployed Metro-Detroiters, well, employed. But those days are behind us now. With the new coliseum and Shinola, who needs the movie industry? Besides, you can always jack-up the taxes of the still gainfully employed or retired if you're a bit short.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-26-16 at 11:53 AM.

Liberals and Conservatives seem to agree on one thing....this movie blows.

By that I mean that 90% of the people who fancy themselves to be actors or directors aren't actually any good at it and have no careers in it. Or that if enough terrible Transformers and superhero movies get filmed here a local film industry will pop into existence.

The topic has been studied and the subsidies are counter productive. iirc you're literally better off just throwing the money at local unemployed people. The film subsidies essentially pay the film companies huge amounts of money to come here for the benefit to us are some low paying temporary spinoff jobs.

It's a scam by the film lobby, politicians who thought they could score points on it, and a narrow set of interest groups who directly benefit from it.

Here's one by a liberal think tank: http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-f...a=view&id=3326 But other than studies funded by the film lobby the film tax credits are universally slammed as being bad.

The money would be better spent subsidizing other industries that are less transient, have more value, and that michigan is naturally suited for. Or the money could be spent on highly effective programs like food and housing assistance. Or pretty much anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Liberals and Conservatives seem to agree on one thing....this movie blows.
    I heard the same thing from my brother. He said it was terrible, too long and he couldn't wait to get out of there.

My review here: http://hypestyle.newsvine.com/_news/...ut-overwrought

Fun, but tedious at times. Folks not steeped in comics lore will probably not understand certain sequences.
    It was fun to see the set locations that I recognized.

The sequel needs to come back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    My review here: http://hypestyle.newsvine.com/_news/...ut-overwrought

Fun, but tedious at times. Folks not steeped in comics lore will probably not understand certain sequences.
    It was fun to see the set locations that I recognized.

The sequel needs to come back here.
    I haven't watched BvS yet but the critics have been taking razorblades to it.

Man of Steel got the same sort of venom and I absolutely loved that movie.

And yeah there's rumors Affleck is going to be directing himself in the next Batman solo. It needs to be back in the D. Especially after getting local JK Simmons as Commisioner Gordon.

They really should never have cut the 5 minute Jimmy Kimmel scene from the movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    By that I mean that 90% of the people who fancy themselves to be actors or directors aren't actually any good at it and have no careers in it. Or that if enough terrible Transformers and superhero movies get filmed here a local film industry will pop into existence.

The topic has been studied and the subsidies are counter productive. iirc you're literally better off just throwing the money at local unemployed people. The film subsidies essentially pay the film companies huge amounts of money to come here for the benefit to us are some low paying temporary spinoff jobs.

It's a scam by the film lobby, politicians who thought they could score points on it, and a narrow set of interest groups who directly benefit from it.

Here's one by a liberal think tank: http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-f...a=view&id=3326 But other than studies funded by the film lobby the film tax credits are universally slammed as being bad.

The money would be better spent subsidizing other industries that are less transient, have more value, and that michigan is naturally suited for. Or the money could be spent on highly effective programs like food and housing assistance. Or pretty much anything else.
    Jason, Jason. That is such a creative way of looking at it. How do you mean industries that are naturally suited to Michigan? Please expound.

Also, gimme more on the benefit of subsidized food and housing vs industrial tax credits on manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Jason, Jason. That is such a creative way of looking at it. How do you mean industries that are naturally suited to Michigan? Please expound.

Also, gimme more on the benefit of subsidized food and housing vs industrial tax credits on manpower.
    An industry [[and I mean industry in the broad sense, not just manufacturing related industries) that is naturally suited to Michigan would be one that we already have a skilled workforce for, the infrastructure and institutional knowledge for, good geography for [[when relevant), and a reason to believe that we would be competitive with other regions. These are industries that Michigan would normally be good at but require a lot of capital or are new industries where you'd expect there to be losses for a certain number of years before the industry matured. Or maybe there are industries that are not new and which we're not currently super competitive but ones that we *could* be if given a bit of a boost for a few years.

One advantage that Michigan has is it has a high number of engineers [[http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...-majors-states) so subsidizing an emerging industry which can take advantage of one of our genuine talents would be good.

Building off of our genuine talents and advantages is important because it means that companies won't just move. It means they'll be in Michigan because Michigan is actually a good place for them to be instead of just being the place that is bribing them the most to be there at the moment.

The film industry just isn't one of those industries. LA and NYC have such a complete and utter dominance in that industry that even *thinking* that we could develop that industry to be competitive is insane. How many real actors [[not baristas) live here? How many cinematographers, writers, directors, producers are here? How many set builders are here and how many special effects companies? LA has over 100,000 people employed in the film [[and music) industries. If someone waved a magic wand and made every man woman and child in Warren into an experienced film workforce then we would be comparable to LA. Not even better! Just comparable. And as far as I know, all other things being equal, there's nothing about Michigan or Michiganders that would make it better suited for the film industry than the places it's already established.

We have a genuine engineering talent. We also have a lot of freshwater although off the top of my head the only thing that's good for is nuclear power plants. There are other things Michigan is good at that I'm blanking out on right now, but they're there. Every once in a while you hear about some field that Michigan is good at. iirc parts of Michigan are good for wine? And wind energy? Information about these types of things is available and the state could do additional studies and analysis on its own to figure out the best opportunities for investment, and whether or not investment from the government would be effective.

Food and housing assistance are some of the most effective ways the government can spend money. They directly boost demand for a variety of goods and services because poor people spend the money on these things right away, and because without that money they would not have made those purchases [[so instead of transferring one type of spending into another, you're creating spending in the economy that would not have existed otherwise). And it also means that instead of subsisting in poverty people have the stability to get jobs and contribute to the economy. Various forms of spending have different multiplier effects [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_multiplier) and food and housing assistance tend to be good. Infrastructure also tends to be a very good investment for the government to make.

There are different ways the government can spend money [[or not spend money) which have varying degrees of effectiveness and the film credits are just really terrible unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast