Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Herman Kiefer has an appointment to be set on fire, stripped and scrapped.

Well more than it already has been.

Going by the hulk visible off the lodge.

Sad, my mother trained to be a nurse there.

I saw that too Brizee. I remember going down there ages ago to get my food handlers certificate when I started at Mc Donalds in the late 80s. The school next door to it used to be beautiful now its open and stripped down to the bones. Did you read that the funeral directors have been having a hard time getting the death certificates processed? Wayne County will take over that service according to the Detroit News.

Ideally, the facility and its surrounding grounds could be redeveloped. For one thing, there is a model already being executed by the Neighborhood Service Organization, where they have converted an old Michigan Bell facility into transitional apartments for the homeless http://www.nso-mi.org/bell-building.php. The Herman Kiefer building has vast plumbing infrastructure-- many of the offices there now were former patient bedrooms-- already with sinks, and [[now disabled) showers, toilets, etc. The surrounding buildings could also be converted to apartments, as well as having administrative offices where counseling and other resources could be held- job training rooms, etc.
    It would take a lot of redevelopment money to accomplish a conversion on this scale, but it could be done, and it could be a means of making meaningful progress in addressing the city's homeless issues.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; August-29-13 at 08:43 AM.

Carolyn Crossman Elementary right across the street from Kiefer should give an idea of the fate of the hospital.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Drive by it every day, really hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the elementary school. Such a beautiful building, really deserve to be used and remain in our city. Here is to hoping I guess!!

Building is doomed. If they seal it tight it could last a few months. Too many potential ways in. Semi secluded location, impoverished neighborhood. What Hypestyles said sounds nice and all but I dont think the building stands much of a chance. Place is probably full of copper and fixtures and whatever else. As of right now it has scrap value. Someone could buy it, remove the scrap, demolish it, and own the land I suppose. Is it worth if for someone to do so? Probably not. I just rather it not become yet another massive empty and dangerous structure open to the elements and what/whoever else. If history tells us anything thats what the future holds for it. I rather anything than the scrappers cashing in on it.

Yesterday I was driving down Fort St. near the scrapyard on the western edge of the city. I saw two very dirty men carrying what were obviously sawed off pieces of copper pipe on the way there. I was seriously tempted to stop the car but I wisely did not. These people are the absolute worst.

I feel like the city should post an armed guard on each side of this building with orders to shoot trespassers.
    Last edited by 1953; August-29-13 at 01:09 PM.

The complex should be renovated and converted into apartments for the homeless.

Otherwise, let the scrapping begin.

well. If these scrappers weren't able to drive they would have an awful hard time transporting their ill gotten metal to scrapyards. Take their trucks away, strip their licenses. Unfortunately there is another problem. If they arent doing this what will they be doing?

Henry Ford has plans to expand, let them have it. Have people shuttle or walk between campuses.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Henry...+Michigan&z=16

Yeah that Crossman school at Clairmont and the Lodge freeway is a real jewel. Every window and door is wide open and it has a For Sale DPS sign on it as well. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Carolyn Crossman Elementary right across the street from Kiefer should give an idea of the fate of the hospital.

Lily Tomlin is a Crosman alumnae.

There are buildings at the south end of the Kiefer campus that have been abandoned and decaying for a long time now. They can be seen here. The footprints of others than have been demolished can be seen too. More will be lost than the hospital once the security disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I feel like the city should post an armed guard on each side of this building with orders to shoot trespassers.
    Officer,it was the darnest thing I ever saw,when we caught the scrappers they got scared and ran up to the roof and jumped off.

I liked the news casters terminology in charging scrappers with "Detroit treason".

Anyways,in the link provided by Lowell,next to the PD payroll office,what are the two vehicles?

One rusty yellow looking and an odd white one parked next to each other.

Too bad Henry Ford couldn't expand it's footprint and develop all the way to Clairmount.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ... Anyways,in the link provided by Lowell,next to the PD payroll office,what are the two vehicles?

One rusty yellow looking and an odd white one parked next to each other.
    Good question. They're large. The yellow one looks like a dump truck. I'd guess the white one is a street sweeper or a garbage truck. It looks too clean though.

On the agenda for the Detroit Historic District Commission meeting tomorrow is:

"6:05 1151 Taylor [[Herman Kiefer Hospital)-Herman Kiefer Hospital HD-Deconstruct building interior"

What does this mean, salvage select materials before they completely vacate the building?

Info is from their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/DetroitHist...ocation=stream

http://www.michigannow.org/2014/01/3...pital-complex/

It sounds like this thing is coming down whether it be scrappers or government sanctioned demolition.

So far a relentless 24/7 patrol has held the scrapper at bay. The day that ends Herman Keifer would be stripped and picked clean in a week!

Less than two blocks away sits the completely scrapped and stripped Hutchins school [[as ref. in link you supplied), and Crossman at the corner of Clairmont and the Lodge service drive.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-03-14 at 12:12 PM.

Update on Herman-Kiefer.

It is in immediate danger.
    http://www.michigannow.org/2014/01/3...pital-complex/

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...lex_in_detroit

May be some good news coming.

Would be awesome to see that whole area turn into something.

Ya know, as good as something with a freeway next to it and no accessible public transportation can be.

Hey that IS good news! Glad to hear the City's taking some initiative too.

Whatever anybody says to the contrary, whatever hopeful schemes are in the offing, I think everybody knows it's going to be torn up, another example of demolition by neglect. I bet the bigger demolition companies are rubbing expectant hands with glee about that impending demolition contract.

A pre-bid meeting will be held the same day between 2-4 p.m. at the offices of Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, 500 Griswold Street, Suite 2200, Detroit.
    Why is the DEGC still involved? It was reported that Duggan has picked his own development officer, and the DEGC's role has been officially deemphasized.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast