Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Donuts for Dilla

Although I'm not what you’d call a hip-hop fan, as my tastes are Old School, I love the story of J Dilla [[James Yancy), the young Detroit writer/producer, one of the biggest producers in hip-hop, who died at age 32 of Lupus complications, in 2006.

His uncle is opening a hip donut shop in Paradise Valley/Harmonie Park.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...NT09/308270105

Dilla, who grew up in eastside Conant Gardens [[where his mother still lives), was regarded as a musical prodigy. I became enamored of several pieces that were published posthumously – part of a 3-CD set called Suite for Ma Dukes [[named for Dilla’s mom).

Dilla came from a jazz/classical music family and he explored other genres; after he died, Dilla's complex hip-hop compositions were arranged and conducted for orchestra by violinist Miguel Atwood Ferguson, and performed as a tribute to Dilla, at the L.A. jazz fest called Timeless.

I met Ferguson when he was here at a performance of the Charles Wright museum, to showcase the video of the concert. His love for Dilla's music was palpable; he regarded the late young composer as musical genius on par with greats like Quincy Jones. Gone too soon.

http://youtu.be/qTUJ_zPU4o8

Marsha, thanks for posting the link to the News article. I didn't get the connection between Dilla and the donut shop until reading the article.

Dilla’s uncle Herman Hayes is setting up shop in an 800-square-foot space on the ground floor of the Ashley, the former Milner Hotel, where Dilla lived briefly as a toddler. Hayes is a former baker at Avalon Bakery and plans to use all organic ingredients at Dilla’s Delights, which he’s looking to open in October or November.

Hayes used to bring Dilla doughnuts as a child, and says he’s one of the reasons Dilla got hooked on the treats. Now he sees making doughnuts in Dilla’s name as a way to honor and preserve his nephew’s memory.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2dNVk9sJc

Nice story.

What a great idea! I love the music of J Dilla. And I've never heard a bad word about him, even before he passed. And in the world of hip hop, rife with ego, backstabbing, jealousy and hating, that's really saying something.