Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hill at Milliken State Park Coming Down

There are bulldozers taking down the hill at Milliken State Park [[pushing the dirt across the open area to flatten the hill).

Pic: http://i44.tinypic.com/jaf9rb.jpg

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! This is where I do my hill runs every week. Can anyone recommend another place near downtown to run sprints uphill?

Would anyone know the purpose of this project? Will Milliken State Park be expanded, or will the new configuration connect the river walk? Though I also enjoy the hill sprints, this will be a big win for the riverfront if it is indeed going to connect the two parcels.

How long has the hill been there? Was it there when they dug out the dry dock area? or was this the result of the demo from the late 90's?

One of my favorite area to look at the sunset and skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! This is where I do my hill runs every week. Can anyone recommend another place near downtown to run sprints uphill?
    Nothing that I can think of near downtown but the hill at Balduck Park or the streets between Kerby and Lewiston west of Ridge Road in Grosse Pointe Farms are nice for short sprints. You may want to also check Elmwood Cemetery there may be a "hill" you can live with.

Does Cobo still have that corkscrew parking garage ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Does Cobo still have that corkscrew parking garage ramp?
    The old one was where JLA is today... the new one still exists at the NW corner of Cobo... the only way to get to the rooftop parking... so I don't see it going away any time soon...

Found two mini-hills...at the Gratiot end of the Dequindre Cut is one, and then there is an on/off ramp to the Dequindre Cut at Lafayette. Neither are as steep as the one at Milliken State Park, but I think they'll do the trick!
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; August-26-13 at 02:20 PM.

I don't know if you're interested or not, but there used to be a group that worked out by climbing the Ren Cen stairs. All I could bring up was this annual event. There is some contact information in the link, they might know of the group I'm thinking of.

http://www.lung.org/associations/cha...oit-climb.html

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    How long has the hill been there? Was it there when they dug out the dry dock area? or was this the result of the demo from the late 90's?

One of my favorite area to look at the sunset and skyline.
    It was put in to hide the cement plants from St. Aubin Park. I would guestimate mid-to-late 1980's. It was the second of third parks built along the riverfront by Mayor Young to open it up and provide public access. Originally he wanted a parkway, but too many pesky businesses kept going into Rivertown.

I noticed that yesterday as I was walking by. They had already brought down much of hill closest to the river. This will open up vistas overlooking the river and the nearby marina significantly, and I think it's a good thing.

Thanks @Detroitplanner

Yes, indeed will provide a view to Milliken Park, Marina and Lighthouse, which many don't see while visiting Rivard Plaza. With the Globe Building being renovated, this leveling of the Hill, will hopefully connect the Dequindre cut.

i understand and appreciate the reasoning behind removing the hill but im still bummed about it. thats one of my go-to relaxing spots downtown.

Yeah..........the stairs at the RenCen!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    Yeah..........the stairs at the RenCen!
    Joe Louis steps work too, as does the spiral thing at the West end of the river walk.

Now float a Boblo boat into the drydock slip so people can see them and start raising some money to save them.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Thanks @Detroitplanner

Yes, indeed will provide a view to Milliken Park, Marina and Lighthouse, which many don't see while visiting Rivard Plaza. With the Globe Building being renovated, this leveling of the Hill, will hopefully connect the Dequindre cut.
    Finally! As much fun as it was to run, walk, or ride a bike up and down the hill, it made no sense to have a hill block the view of the waterfront. I'd actually like to see Orleans Street continue south of Atwater and curve to the west to meet a second road, call it "Edgewater," that would go through the current parking lot at Rivard Plaza, be about four lanes wide, and hug the current side walk that is at the edge of the parking lot next to the plaza. The street would end at Rivard Street. Parking would go where the current Border Patrol headquarters is located.

Why an additional road south of Atwater? Well, if you look at the stretch of Atwater that spans from Rivard to Milliken Park you will still see a large distance between Atwater and the river. The park and marina distances make sense. However, west of Orleans all you have is vacant land. The hill was part of this vacant land. There is enough room for a new road and some residential and commercial developments, mainly restaurants, that could go between Atwater and the new street that I'm calling Edgewater. Also, this new street would create more pedestrian activity closer to the Detroit River [[car traffic, bike traffic, walkers and runners). Well, I think it would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Finally! As much fun as it was to run, walk, or ride a bike up and down the hill, it made no sense to have a hill block the view of the waterfront. I'd actually like to see Orleans Street continue south of Atwater and curve to the west to meet a second road, call it "Edgewater," that would go through the current parking lot at Rivard Plaza, be about four lanes wide, and hug the current side walk that is at the edge of the parking lot next to the plaza. The street would end at Rivard Street. Parking would go where the current Border Patrol headquarters is located.

Why an additional road south of Atwater? Well, if you look at the stretch of Atwater that spans from Rivard to Milliken Park you will still see a large distance between Atwater and the river. The park and marina distances make sense. However, west of Orleans all you have is vacant land. The hill was part of this vacant land. There is enough room for a new road and some residential and commercial developments, mainly restaurants, that could go between Atwater and the new street that I'm calling Edgewater. Also, this new street would create more pedestrian activity closer to the Detroit River [[car traffic, bike traffic, walkers and runners). Well, I think it would be cool.
    At first I thought what you said sounded crazy. But after looking at a map i understand why, because that land between atwater and the park are under utilized. I think it would be an even better plan if those streets were pedestrian/bike only because lord knows vehicular capacity isn't maxed out on atwater.

I heard from one of the park guys that the hill was contaminated dredgings from the area? Making that hill to block the old silos makes sense too. I frequent the marina and am glad the hill is coming down. It will really open up the view. On the other hand I did watch the Red Bull races from atop there and it was a great vantage point with nice breeze!

A good name for any road south of Atwater would be "River Road"... the pre-1805 name of the old former Indian trail that went between a later built and named Jefferson Ave., and the Detroit River.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    At first I thought what you said sounded crazy. But after looking at a map i understand why, because that land between atwater and the park are under utilized. I think it would be an even better plan if those streets were pedestrian/bike only because lord knows vehicular capacity isn't maxed out on atwater.

Even better a parking lot, lord knows we could use more of em!

Hey CTY, better slow down on them windsprints you're cutting a desire line in the hill! https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.33197...01206&t=h&z=20

Then again, the hill ain't there no more.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; August-27-13 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post

I personally think adding another road between Atwater and the river is not the best use of that open land. I think anything between the river and Atwater should be public land used for recreation. Put tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer/baseball fields, beach vollyball courts, roller/steet hockey rinks, play/spray scapes for the kids, disc golf, putt putt course, etc. All Retail/housing should go on the otherside of Atwater.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I heard from one of the park guys that the hill was contaminated dredgings from the area? Making that hill to block the old silos makes sense too. I frequent the marina and am glad the hill is coming down. It will really open up the view. On the other hand I did watch the Red Bull races from atop there and it was a great vantage point with nice breeze!
    I had heard this too about the hill having contaminated soil. Ever notice the caged area to the east of the hill? I once saw a worker go into the caged area and he appeared to be taking a water or soil sample.

Quote Originally Posted by DinNC View Post
    I personally think adding another road between Atwater and the river is not the best use of that open land. I think anything between the river and Atwater should be public land used for recreation. Put tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer/baseball fields, beach vollyball courts, roller/steet hockey rinks, play/spray scapes for the kids, disc golf, putt putt course, etc. All Retail/housing should go on the otherside of Atwater.
    DinNC, a lot of the recreational activities you mentioned can still go between Atwater, the river and a new road south of Atwater. Look at a Google Earth satellite view and you'll see how much land is vacant. Now, with the hill gone, that will create more vacant land. Now, if they can carve out a beach area between Milliken Park and Rivard Plaza that would also be cool.

I want to add that GM had planned on putting in a new street south of Atwater beginning at St. Antoine and Atwater that paralleled the RiverWalk and curved into Rivard Street at Rivard Plaza [[you can see the curvature with steel barriers near the Wheelhouse shop). They called the street "Riverside Drive." The rendering was shown in the daily papers at the time GM was planning development along the east riverfront.

BTW, the city planned on putting a sewer retention basin at Atwater between Rivard and Riopelle. Residential or commercial development can not go on that site and so that stretch of Atwater would look like what the vacant land looks like on the south side. If the plan for the sewer retention basin is still in the plans, then putting some residential and commercial development on the south side of Atwater will be necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast