Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Red lights in sky above SW Detroit tonight 8/23

Anyone see the red lights in the W/SW sky tonight between 9:15-9:45pm? Had the neighbors on the porch watching the show. Not planes, not planets - red lights rising and hovering in the air, some moving closer together. Most I saw at one time was four. Afterwards, single lights rising in the sky then fading after 4-5 minutes. Almost as cool as the ghost dogs I saw in the late 1990's on E. Boston.

Could be Chinese lanterns. People like to launch these for fun. They can drift for miles. Can be purchased at stores that sell party supplies, birthday parties, Halloween, etc. Or on ebay. Many have mistaken these for UFO's.

Did experience something similar once. We watched flickering lights that went up down, reappeared in different spots. I got creeped and went indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Could be Chinese lanterns. People like to launch these for fun. They can drift for miles. Can be purchased at stores that sell party supplies, birthday parties, Halloween, etc. Or on ebay. Many have mistaken these for UFO's.
    Most likely this.

They released a whole bunch of these at a friend's wedding and the next day we discovered someone in the area had posted video of them floating on youtube because he thought they were UFOs.

I think it was just swamp gas.

My youngest son saw them and wondered what they were as well . Probably those lanterns mentioned above .

I've seen Chinese lanterns several times recently. It seems to be a growing trend. If the light changes intensity or flickers, it's definitely a lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    ...Almost as cool as the ghost dogs I saw in the late 1990's on E. Boston.
    Tell us your ghost dog story.

This is the subject of today's Zits comic.

Yes I want to hear the ghost dog story too. We have a little girl ghost in our house and unfortunately no clue to her story.

I saw something mentioned about the international space station passing over Michigan at that time.

The space station looks just like a satellite, like a bright a star slowly moving across the sky, wouldn't be that. The chinese lanterns I've seen are more of a yellowish-white, though maybe they do things with them to make them different colors. I'd say the Norhtern Lights, but you said W/SW, so I guess that rules that out.