Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Dequindre cut" photos...

I will be in town for a week over Labor Day weekend and a couple in the suburbs asked me about touring the Dequindre cut. Is that officially a "rails to trails" route now? Is there a link on this site or elsewhere with photos of the "cut"?

I remember several threads on the cut, not sure if they had pics but most likely they did. Best bet is to check it out yourself with a camera.

For the adventurous Id suggest parking at Mack X Dequinder, near Louies ham sandwich place where your car would be safe. Follow the train tracks South. That way you get a feel for what the Cut used to be before it was made all pretty.

Photos, facts and map [[in the PDF): http://placemaking.mml.org/dequindre-cut/

Four Dequindre Cut photos in my recent set "This is Detroit?" on Flickr [[#12-15) http://www.flickr.com/photos/7766209...7634879922266/

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I remember several threads on the cut, not sure if they had pics but most likely they did. Best bet is to check it out yourself with a camera.

For the adventurous Id suggest parking at Mack X Dequinder, near Louies ham sandwich place where your car would be safe. Follow the train tracks South. That way you get a feel for what the Cut used to be before it was made all pretty.
    BS, Django. A friend came out of Louie's, on a Saturday, around 11:30 a.m., place chock full of people. She was on her cell, got in her car, laid her purse on the passenger seat. She was talking, and starting her car, the passenger door opened, a young girl grabbed her purse, jumped into a waiting van, and they took off. Let the victim blaming begin.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sharnelle View Post
    Photos, facts and map [[in the PDF): http://placemaking.mml.org/dequindre-cut/

Four Dequindre Cut photos in my recent set "This is Detroit?" on Flickr [[#12-15) http://www.flickr.com/photos/7766209...7634879922266/
    Cool photos! Thanks for sharing.
    -DVD

Damn! The thief trolls are relentless, day and night, daylight too! Right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    BS, Django. A friend came out of Louie's, on a Saturday, around 11:30 a.m., place chock full of people. She was on her cell, got in her car, laid her purse on the passenger seat. She was talking, and starting her car, the passenger door opened, a young girl grabbed her purse, jumped into a waiting van, and they took off. Let the victim blaming begin.......

Some really great shots!

thanks for the link

lily

BS my ass, that could happen anywhere Honky Tonk. Louies is so usually crowded and fairly upscale thats why I mentioned it as a safe place to park. Maybe you have a suggestion where its perfectly safe to park and within walking of the tracks at Mack, or anywhere in Detroit for that matter.

you can park on the dirt lot at gratiot and st.aubin or in the lot of the church just south of gratiot on st. aubin. both are safe locations and are at the start of the dequindre cut.

BS my ass, that could happen anywhere Honky Tonk. Louies is so usually crowded and fairly upscale thats why I mentioned it as a safe place to park. Maybe you have a suggestion where its perfectly safe to park and within walking of the tracks at Mack, or anywhere in Detroit for that matter.
    My point is exactly that, there are no safe spots. You can only lessen your chances. The fact that someone is staking out a crowded place LIKE Louies, waiting for someone like my friend who is wrapped up in her phone call isn't too reassuring.

My point is exactly that, there are no safe spots. You can only lessen your chances. The fact that someone is staking out a crowded place LIKE Louies, waiting for someone like my friend who is wrapped up in her phone call isn't too reassuring.
    You called my suggestion bullshit I suggested a place where I felt it would be safest and I still feel Louies would be a safe place compared to say St Aubin and Mack. Maybe you should have just said STAY OUT OF DETROIT THERE ARE NO SAFE PLACES HERE. Personally I like it when ppl come visit Detroit.

Agreed its best not to scare the tourists, but its also easy for visitors to see all the new stuff and forget current realities. As someone who's had nothing but good experiences visiting Detroit so far, it's important for me to hear HT's story. If that happened to me I might vow never to come back to the city, thus canceling my potential lifetime tourist dollars altogether.

Reminds me a bit of NYC in the '70s and '80s when sharing such doses of reality served to make visitors such as myself more vigilant, although no place was safe. I remember a skit on Saturday Nite Live back then that featured a tourist brochure titled "So You've Been Stabbed!" offering helpful tips. Now the place is a stunning model of crime reduction.

You called my suggestion bullshit I suggested a place where I felt it would be safest and I still feel Louies would be a safe place compared to say St Aubin and Mack. Maybe you should have just said STAY OUT OF DETROIT THERE ARE NO SAFE PLACES HERE. Personally I like it when ppl come visit Detroit.
    I called the fact that you thought Louie's was totally safe, BS. It probably safer then some parking places, but not totally. I like people coming to Detroit too, I just don't believe in handing them a crock. All that glitters in Detroit is not gold, sometimes it's Detroit diamonds.

Could happen at 12 Oaks Mall but I would still say it's safe. Anywhere there are people congregating, there are crooks looking to take advantage of them. Not sure why you think this is a Detroit-only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Could happen at 12 Oaks Mall but I would still say it's safe. Anywhere there are people congregating, there are crooks looking to take advantage of them. Not sure why you think this is a Detroit-only thing.
    I'm sorry, I missed that part. Point to where I think it was a "Detroit Only" thing.

I called the fact that you thought Louie's was totally safe, BS. It probably safer then some parking places, but not totally. I like people coming to Detroit too, I just don't believe in handing them a crock. All that glitters in Detroit is not gold, sometimes it's Detroit diamonds.
    Nowhere in Detroit is "totally safe" and I did not claim it to be. Like I asked you before, name a safer area near there. I simply pointed out the safest possible place to park. Don't put words in my post. Jimminy Crickets I cannot even believe this is an issue. Are you trying to scare away everyone from coming here? I can understand not wanting to park in say Brightmoor, but Louies is about as as safe as you can get besides parking in front of 1300 Beaubien.
    Last edited by Django; August-26-13 at 01:58 AM.

Here are some pictures of the Dequinder Cut in 2000, before renovation.

http://www.paradisevalleyblues.com/tour/hook0021.html

"I'm sorry, I missed that part. Point to where I think it was a "Detroit Only" thing."

Then what's your point? Because a purse was snatched from in front of a business doesn't make it unsafe. What constitutes "totally safe"? A place where no crime ever has taken place?

I used to spend quite a bit of time down there pre fix