Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Former Tushiyah United Hebrew School Getting Apartment-ified

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...tmentified.php An abandoned school behind the DIA in Midtown will soon be known as the 609 East Kirby St. Lofts. This is very exciting!

Curious.. I happened to see this place while wandering the neighborhood during the African Culture festival at the Charles Wright Museum. I noticed some of the stone etchings that indicated its earliest history. It looked in decent shape from the outside.. kudos to the developers, hopefully this can be fast-tracked. I wonder when you can apply for a placement..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; August-26-13 at 09:22 AM.

That building wasn't a Hebrew School for long. It was built in 1922, and by 1929 it was the new home of the Scott Memorial M.E. Church, the first black Methodist congregation in Michigan. The church remained there for over 30 years before a move to the west side. As Scott Memorial United Methodist, it is now located on Plymouth near Greenfield.

Lot of Jewish kids went to that Hebrew School in that time when that area was a very large Jewish community from Paradise Valley and far as Northwest Detroit and beyond Oak Park and Southfield. Today all the Jews left Detroit and its synagogues and Hebrew Schools are either town down or turn into black churches. But the Jews played and big role of creating and improving Detroit's image since the 1840s.

Wasn't Hastings street where 75 now sits? I think at the time the school was built the Jewish community was moving north of Henrie into the Oakland Ave and 12th st areas...there was a Jewish community off 24th street near Michigan ave...the black church must have torn down the ol synagogue, glad I took some pics of the gem...

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Wasn't Hastings street where 75 now sits? I think at the time the school was built the Jewish community was moving north of Henrie into the Oakland Ave and 12th st areas...there was a Jewish community off 24th street near Michigan ave...the black church must have torn down the ol synagogue, glad I took some pics of the gem...

There were 2 small pockets of Jewish communities in Southwest Detroit. One along Michigan and Junction St. Commercial District. The other along W. Jefferson from Dragoon St. to Dearborn St. along where former Downtown Del-Rey once stood. These group of Jews where mostly Hungarian Eastern Orthodox. They came to Southwest Detroit since the early 1900s to work in the Rouge industrial complex [[Especially FORD MOTOR COMPANY). They set up their synagogues and businesses anywhere next to other Jewish families. Southwest Detroit Jews started to quickly move away in the late 1950s to mingle the Jews living in Detroit's West and Northwest Side and later to the suburbs.

[QUOTE=Danny;400981]

There were 2 small pockets of Jewish communities in Southwest Detroit. One along Michigan and Junction St. Commercial District. The other along W. Jefferson from Dragoon St. to Dearborn St. along where former Downtown Del-Rey once stood. These group of Jews where mostly Hungarian Eastern Orthodox. They came to Southwest Detroit since the early 1900s to work in the Rouge industrial complex [[Especially FORD MOTOR COMPANY). They set up their synagogues and businesses anywhere next to other Jewish families. Southwest Detroit Jews started to quickly move away in the late 1950s to mingle the Jews living in Detroit's West and Northwest Side and later to the suburbs.
    [/QUOTE Max silk of Maxies Deli and purple gang associate fame may have grew up in the Michigan 24th area..