Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I can't believe it cops doing some odd shit [Mailed Parking Ticket]

Open my mail box and find a ticket.

Police Can't respond to a 3 am fight between he/she brawlers, Disgusting music blared, squatters, dope dealers.... but hell no, I get a ticket.

The ticket is nuts. My car, legally parked, fully insured and licensed had a tire that was low on the back passenger side.

We get a ticket for neighborhood blight???

Gee, I wonder who has connections. The druggies no doubt.

Of course I will fight that ticket.

If you look like you have some money, then why *not* write you a ticket?

Sounds like someone was short on their quota.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Open my mail box and find a ticket.

Police Can't respond to a 3 am fight between he/she brawlers, Disgusting music blared, squatters, dope dealers.... but hell no, I get a ticket.

The ticket is nuts. My car, legally parked, fully insured and licensed had a tire that was low on the back passenger side.

We get a ticket for neighborhood blight???

Gee, I wonder who has connections. The druggies no doubt.

Of course I will fight that ticket.
    They're just concerned, that with the low tire pressure, you could lose control, and cause a firey, 40 car pile-up on I-94. They're looking out for you, and they're looking out for me. Another heart warming tale about life in the "D". What's the old adage? Pigeon? Sitting duck? Fish in a barrel?

Contact the DAH right away and scream. They cannot prove your car was inoperable if they do not let you start it.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...esofCases.aspx

And seriously, take photos of the tire in it's current state.

I've received environmental tickets for houses that I've owned that were written because the next door owner left torn out building materials in front of MY house. I've had tickets because somebody dumped in the alley behind a house I owned. That's why god created attorney's, I don't have the patience for stupid stuff like that.

Same old same old. One day after I spent time picking up trash in my yard, the street, the neighbors' yards [[so it wouldn't blow in my yard), I got a ticket for having trash in my yard while I was at my father in law's funeral and attending to my mother in law all day. The one day I was not home to keep the place neat, they got me. It's like they were lying in wait. Never saw any of the nrighbors get a ticket, even though I was the only one picking up the place. I pitched six kinds of fit and got them to come out and reinspect and get rid of the ticket. And ya know, I'm still irritated with the City of Detroit. Junk cars in the alley? We're fine with it. Kids taking bricks out of front of house and leaving big holes in the facade? No biggy. Blowing trash? Let's give this one lady a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    ...Of course I will fight that ticket.
    The road to competence is long and difficult. Many will be asked to raise their performance. Some will find ways to cheat. What say you, 1936? Curious your take.

Now am amused and bemused. Of course I am still fighting that ticket.

We use our car daily. Its old, runs great. My husband has health issues and sees a dr/therapist 3 times a week. It is not like it is parked and rusting. Have several of those around us, boats too. Bet they didn't get tickets.

Ok now I am mad again. Cut vacant properties, do at least five clean ups a year and I get a fucking ticket for a nuisance. vehicle. It is soooo stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Same old same old. One day after I spent time picking up trash in my yard, the street, the neighbors' yards [[so it wouldn't blow in my yard), I got a ticket for having trash in my yard while I was at my father in law's funeral and attending to my mother in law all day. The one day I was not home to keep the place neat, they got me. It's like they were lying in wait. Never saw any of the nrighbors get a ticket, even though I was the only one picking up the place. I pitched six kinds of fit and got them to come out and reinspect and get rid of the ticket. And ya know, I'm still irritated with the City of Detroit. Junk cars in the alley? We're fine with it. Kids taking bricks out of front of house and leaving big holes in the facade? No biggy. Blowing trash? Let's give this one lady a ticket.
    Please see my earlier post about Pigeon? Sitting duck? Fish in a barrel?, etc....

Haven't said Hi Gaz in ages. Hope you and yours are well.

This ticket is causing me amusement, then amazing anger. Hard to tell how I feel moment to moment. It just is so annoying that as a good citizen, I get the ticket. Wrote a grant last year to clean up our alley, bet I get a ticket for that too. I rarely go into into our alley but did do alley cleanups twice this year.

This ticket sticks, I'll never do another block clean up. If my car is considered a nuisance then I will let them see what nuisance means.

Serious, its nuts to get a ticket for a low tire. All this crime but they write that?

Competency has to start somewhere right? *brighter side of the big picture*

A ticket is something easy to write, and of course brings in the money. Could be worse. There's a zero tolerance policy in my neighborhood. Any damaged bicycle or car left out on a city sidewalk or street for more than 72 hours gets a warning sticker from the city and then impounded. Thus costing hundreds of dollars.

This is typical C.O.D. crap. They flog the last good people left and extort money from them. They hand you that "we're understaffed, underpaid, and overworked" stuff, or "cherry pick" what calls they actually go on, but parking or ticketing good people with low tires, hey, no problem, we have man power for that. I was raised to respect the law and the police, but I've become cynical of Detroit's operation as I've gotten older.

I am a bit confused,the ticket you received was from the actual police department?

If so why are the police involved in the role of code enforcement?

Anywhere else code enforcement would send a letter with a number,most cases you call and explain and case closed.

Seems like a very expensive use of resources around a tire when there are higher crime issues and something that needs to be brought before the new police chief.

If the car was blocking the sidewalk I could see police use as a ticket but in this case it is clear why there is a 53 minute response time.

It raises the question of if more police are really needed or their role clarified as to what their mission really is,because if they have time to write a ticket in this case there is no crime problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The road to competence is long and difficult. Many will be asked to raise their performance. Some will find ways to cheat. What say you, 1936? Curious your take.
    Police don't do code enforcement. At least, they didn't "in my day". Sumas, was that ticket REALLY written by a DPD police officer? It blows my mind if it was. As far as fighting an unjust ticket, yeah, by all means, do it if you have the time to spare.

Overall, fighting blight in Detroit is a Sisyphus situation, to say the least.

We live in a nice quiet, staid, even neighborhood. We all know each other, respect each other. Mrs. S has had a junk car parked on a vacant lot for years. Our neighbors, Mr & Mrs T park 3 vehicles illegally on their lawn in front of their home. Miss grace has a derelict boat on her property. Mr K had an unlicensed car on the street for a year. They didn't get ticketed. Starting to feel like it is harass white folk.

Do you have a Duggan sign on your lawn?

Will resolve problem today. Actually need two new tires since one is balding. Needed to wait till I had the money. This is a poor but proud community. We are no exception. Mostly I have gone through the, I can't believe this ticket, to anger, amusement, disbelief, to back to, pissed as hell. All the problems in the city, and I get a ticket for something that stupid.

Hi, Sumas! Yes, we are well, thank you. My ticket, an actual ticket, was from Code Enforcement, not the Police Department. As you say, all the other code violations? Nada. Harrass the ones who are law abiding and look different, that's how I felt.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Do you have a Duggan sign on your lawn?
    That's funny and yes I do. I also have a Hollier sign, he is a black man with great dreds and loads of potential.

Other dumb stuff. Had a friend trim a tree on the blvd.That is a city job that doesn't get done. I was cutting it up and putting it in yard waste bags, had a city worker pull up and says don't consider dumping that and I am like huh. I said make sure it gets picked up on trash day. We had 15 bags. It did get picked up but dpw did check my courville container that week. In 3 years I always use yard waste bags and it's been picked up twice. When it doesn't get picked up, I shrug and stick it in the courville container next week.

Sorry, Sumas. Another poster on here I know personally told me that he decided to hit Eight Mile after he got a ticket for putting his garbage out just a few hours too early. And the parking vultures are the worst too. Police come the next day, but your meter expires one minute before you're there and you have a ticket.

I used to live in a little house on Willis, right by the Lodge, and it was a pain to park. I'd drive into that little neighborhood and there were no driveways, so if I wanted to park with my right tires against the curb I'd have to do a three-point turn, pulling out into the service drive with all the cars speeding by, backing up behind my street, then taking a hard right and parking. The other option was to drive all the way down to Selden and drive up the service drive, because of a one-way street just south of there that wouldn't cooperate. In a neighborhood the police ignored, next to a park that filled up with garbage, I received about 10 different tickets for having my left tires against the curb. For real?

Forget it, Sumas. It's Chinatown.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    And the parking vultures are the worst too. Police come the next day, but your meter expires one minute before you're there and you have a ticket.
    Make city services to be as prompt and punctual as parking enforcement. All will be well in Chinatown and Mr. Orr can pack his bags. It's so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Sorry, Sumas. Another poster on here I know personally told me that he decided to hit Eight Mile after he got a ticket for putting his garbage out just a few hours too early. And the parking vultures are the worst too. Police come the next day, but your meter expires one minute before you're there and you have a ticket.

I used to live in a little house on Willis, right by the Lodge, and it was a pain to park. I'd drive into that little neighborhood and there were no driveways, so if I wanted to park with my right tires against the curb I'd have to do a three-point turn, pulling out into the service drive with all the cars speeding by, backing up behind my street, then taking a hard right and parking. The other option was to drive all the way down to Selden and drive up the service drive, because of a one-way street just south of there that wouldn't cooperate. In a neighborhood the police ignored, next to a park that filled up with garbage, I received about 10 different tickets for having my left tires against the curb. For real?

Forget it, Sumas. It's Chinatown.
    I wish you were joking, tires against a curb? Here is another favorite. My next door neighbor has lived here since the fifties. Some numnut got her a handicap parking sign. No one, I mean no one, would park in her spot in front of her house. She is well loved and respected. The sign instead of a single spot calls for two ways. Assholes installed it on our property line. A visiting friend got a ticket for parking in a handicap zone. Our lots are 100 feet wide. Need to move her sign to the middle of her property. We saw him get the ticket. He offered to measure the footage. The parking officer declined. He actually was legal. The sign needs to move though. The odder thing is we do have a handicaped sticker for our car but always park to the farther end of our property.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast