Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default West Village Renovations

Nice to see this duplex on Van Dyke getting rehabbed. As a former West Villager, any improvements in my old hood make me happy. The article alludes to rumors of grants for several rehabs; does anyone know anything about that?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2013/08/large-west-village-duplex-possibly-on-the-path-to-renovation.php

There is finally some news on this, and good news to boot. Which is nice, given the mostly dreary news recently. Five properties being renovated in WV, three single family homes on Seyburn and two duplexes on Van Dyke.

I don't know why Curbed calls this a "monstrous" effort. I'd hardly call it that.

On the other hand, unlike many Detroit neighborhoods West Village [[where I once lived) is quite compact and 5 renovations can have more impact than in a large area such as Boston-Edison

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...e-rehabbed.php

Always happy to hear good news.

Where on Parker is this new market? Is it up by Kercheval?

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...entrepreneurs/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Where on Parker is this new market? Is it up by Kercheval?
    On the east side of Parker just south of Kercheval. There was a hair salon there before.

great news! Now West Village could be a real village. This will also develop the pedestrian traffic with this market on the Kercheval end and Craftworks, Vegan Soul, Red Hook, and Tarot and teas on Agnes

This is one of the five renovations in West Village. Glad to see major progress underway. And that those awful asphalt shingles are gone.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ood-facade.php

Does anyone in the area know how these rehabs are turning out? I'd love to see some pics.....

Does anyone in the area know how these rehabs are turning out? I'd love to see some pics.....
    Unfortunately they are at a standstill after the contractor abandoned the projects after a lot of screw ups early this summer. The director of the Villages CDC is a very competent and experienced person and had 2 contractors that were reliable and reasonable picked out. However, the city stipulated a list of 6 approved contractors, none of which were the ones he recommended and this is a result. I know there are things happening further with this regarding getting different contractors and working out the financials, but I don't have the details other than what I posted. I can only hope that these contractors not be allowed to do any more projects involving government funds.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    Unfortunately they are at a standstill after the contractor abandoned the projects after a lot of screw ups early this summer. The director of the Villages CDC is a very competent and experienced person and had 2 contractors that were reliable and reasonable picked out. However, the city stipulated a list of 6 approved contractors, none of which were the ones he recommended and this is a result. I know there are things happening further with this regarding getting different contractors and working out the financials, but I don't have the details other than what I posted. I can only hope that these contractors not be allowed to do any more projects involving government funds.
    I am saddened to hear that. being practically next door neighbors in Islandview Village I enjoy seeing progress. The last few years have been a real challenge for us, but do get out and about a bit. West Village is tres charmant. Brian at Villages is doing his best. Grants come with pros and cons. Sumas

Friends and Family strikes again!!

Good Morning BB. Can I ask the name of the contractor who made the screw-ups, then abandoned the job? This was NOT a City recommended contractor, correct? My interest is, I'm going through the same scenario where I live. He's cheaper than the rest, and has worked "all over this area". I'd like to avoid being in the same boat. PM me if you'd like. Thanx.

Not the update I was hoping for. WV is near and dear to my heart as that's where I used to live. I hope this gets back on track soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good Morning BB. Can I ask the name of the contractor who made the screw-ups, then abandoned the job? This was NOT a City recommended contractor, correct? My interest is, I'm going through the same scenario where I live. He's cheaper than the rest, and has worked "all over this area". I'd like to avoid being in the same boat. PM me if you'd like. Thanx.
    Oak Hills Construction out of Warren, MI. They were one of the 6 contractors that the city required Villages CDC to choose from, and NOT one of the 2 that Villages CDC wanted to use......

Oak Hills Construction out of Warren, MI. They were one of the 6 contractors that the city required Villages CDC to choose from, and NOT one of the 2 that Villages CDC wanted to use......
    Thanx BB. We we told the COD could only suggest and not mandate which contractor you should use. Causually observing the rehab going on, on Vernor in SW Detroit and on Jefferson on the East side, it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time, IMO. Seek legal advice. If they're not meeting their contractual obligations, pay them something for what work was done and send them on their way. Hire someone competent to finish the job.

This is not related to the seemingly stalled projects that this thread was started for, but it is about renovations in West Village. And on Parker, my old street.

Nice to see this somewhat odd vacant building being purchased and schedule for rehab. It's certainly not one of my favorites, but then again it adds to West Village's eclectic feel.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...st-village.php

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ts-in-detroits

Does anyone know how the Skyview/City Place Apartments are faring under this company's ownership?

One of these houses has been finished and is on the market. Unusual choice of color; nice looking rehab.

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...troit-MI-48214

http://www.thevillagesofdetroit.com/...-family-house/
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; September-05-15 at 11:00 PM.

Default House for sale 1762 Seyburn West Village

The bidder must have income following these guidelines2015 HUD Income Limit)
    1-person $56,850
    2-person $65,000
    3-person $73,100
    4-person $81,250
    5-person $87,750
    6-person $94,250

Bit of History: According to the R.L. Polk 1928 Detroit City Directory, the Parker Street Market is occupying the space of the former Cornelius Vanderhayden shoe repair shop. Lots of entrepreneurship in that area back in the day.

A historical question: When did the designation "West Village" first begin? This was my mother's old neighborhood [[1920s to 1960s); she was born in a house on Seyburn. However, I don't recall anybody using that term, ever. It was always just "Islandview"....all of that area was Islandview, except for Indian Village of course.

Default West Village

A historical question: When did the designation "West Village" first begin? This was my mother's old neighborhood [[1920s to 1960s); she was born in a house on Seyburn. However, I don't recall anybody using that term, ever. It was always just "Islandview"....all of that area was Islandview, except for Indian Village of course.[/QUOTE]

1974 was when the West Village Association was started and began using the term after they set the “boundaries.” Prior to that, the whole area was popularly called Indian Village [[until the Historic Indian Village Association was founded in about 1967, and they set their boundaries)
    I don’t think Islandview was used as a neighborhood term until later – when the Islandview Association started in 1978 – and it described a smaller area than the Islandview that Villages CDC now describes.
    Unfortunately, Google and Bing maps don’t know where the boundary lines are and often designate West Village as part of Islandview.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    The bidder must have income following these guidelines2015 HUD Income Limit)
    1-person $56,850
    2-person $65,000
    3-person $73,100
    4-person $81,250
    5-person $87,750
    6-person $94,250
    The listing price would seem to be at odds with the income requirements.

The listing price would seem to be at odds with the income requirements.
    I don't see the problem. If you assume that the property taxes are at the full homeowner rate [[which might not be the case in that location) that would be $7000/yr. Assuming you could get a mortgage, which I realize is a potential problem at that price, at current rates that would be under $1000/mo if you were paying on the full $200,000. So you should end up a bit under $19,000/yr. That is about 29% of the two-person income limit. Seems doable if you can actually get the mortgage.

Default West Village -20th Century Neighborhood Names

Now that you mention it, I don't recall anybody specifically mentioning "Islandview" in the 50s and 60s...though as a kid, I probably wasn't paying much attention, either. Was it just referred to as "the East Side"? Because that covers a lot of territory.

Among my family & neighbors, it was more often than not, "the old neighborhood", which to us in EEV, it was. My aunt remembers "Leesville", but that was more toward Gratiot and Harper and in the 1910s.

Lowell has said he has a 1940s map of the city so maybe he can shed some light on old neighborhood names, if there are any. Hornwrecker's priceless posting of the 1930 Detroit map shows virtually no neighborhood names at all, that I can find: http://picasaweb.google.com/Hornwrecker/1930sDetroitMap#5115041402873460978

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't see the problem. If you assume that the property taxes are at the full homeowner rate [[which might not be the case in that location) that would be $7000/yr. Assuming you could get a mortgage, which I realize is a potential problem at that price, at current rates that would be under $1000/mo if you were paying on the full $200,000. So you should end up a bit under $19,000/yr. That is about 29% of the two-person income limit. Seems doable if you can actually get the mortgage.
    Right. Those requirements would make it tough for a single person to afford the asking price, but a couple or a family of three would probably be able to manage it at those income levels. And it's a good size with 3 bedrooms. I bet Villages CDC and HUD would rather have a growing family in a house like that than just one person. It's also my understanding that, because of HUD regulations, it's not allowed to sell any higher than the listed price.

A commenter on the Curbed article for this house made a good point too:

The goal of the HUD neighborhood stabilization project is to fix up a house in a neighborhood that has declining values so the higher price sale will boost future home values in the neighborhood. For example, if the last 3 home sales in a neighborhood have sold for $80K and they are similar to the home you want to buy, you can reasonably expect the appraised value to come in around $80K. Now, say for example, the last 3 homes in the neighborhood sold for $80K, $80K and $200K. The $200K home has $75,000 in updates that the home you want to buy doesn't have. An appraiser would then compare the value of the home you want to buy against $80K, $80K and $125K [[$200K minus $75K). So if you average those three homes values, you can expect the appraised value of the home to be $95K. Say that happens and you pay $95K for your home. The next home that gets appraised will be compared to $80K, $125K [[HUD home) and the house you just paid $95K for. Appraised value will come in at $100K and sell for that price. So on and so forth, thus boosting the values of the homes in the area. That is the goal of this project.

One other thing: I was in West Village a couple weeks ago, and it looks like the two duplexes mentioned earlier are pretty much done with their renovations. Haven't seen any listing/rental information on those yet. There was also a house around the corner on St. Paul with crews in the middle of a ton of work - not sure if it's part of the same program. Also a lot of work going on with some business spaces on Kercheval.

Default West Village

The two duplexes 1536/40 Van Dyke and 1449/53 Van Dyke will be rentals and the Villages CDC will have more info soon with a specific time period to apply for the rental units. The web site is:
    www.thevillagesofdetroit.com

The Kercheval businesses in the old bank/Domino's Pizza bldg will be 75 seat restaurant Geiger Eat Shop, 8044 Kercheval just down the street from Sister Pie. Chef Greg Reyner from Royal Oak's Cafe Muse expects to open this place next April 2016.
    The other buildings just east on Kercheval will be a restaurant/museum called Gabriel Hall. Plans are for a New Orleans flavored restaurant by band leader Dameon Gabriel.
    Good news for West Village!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast