Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    This ain't small potatoes. This is nearly a FIFTY PERCENT drop in Duggan's vote count.

I'm absolutely flummoxed.

Good thing the Feds have a team ready to oversee 3rd world elections in Haiti, Nicaragua, Detroit.

Well, That should make the scrappers happy. Yes, It IS Chinatown.

I don't understand how they can just "throw out" 20,000 votes! wouldn't most of them be either awarded to Mike Duggan or Dugeon the barber? How can 20,000 votes just NOT COUNT ??? And wouldn't those votes put Dugeon the barber in third place instead of just thrown out? I'm TOTALLY CONFUSED!! The Feds! The Feds!

Everybody and their Momma knows that those votes were for MIKE DUGGAN!

The funny part is, people were calling for Federal oversight even before the primary took place. I chalked it up to the usual conspiracy theorists - even though I do believe Janice Winfrey is incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I don't understand how they can just "throw out" 20,000 votes! wouldn't most of them be either awarded to Mike Duggan or Dugeon the barber? How can 20,000 votes just NOT COUNT ??? And wouldn't those votes put Dugeon the barber in third place instead of just thrown out? I'm TOTALLY CONFUSED!! The Feds! The Feds!
    Everybody and their Momma knows that those votes were for MIKE DUGGAN!
    There is no evidence they threw out 20,000 votes. It seems like they overstated the number of votes that were cast. If they disqualified 20,000 votes and didn't award them to anyone, you should expect a big uproar from the Duggan camp.

I think the public and the two remaining candidates deserve to know exactly how the numbers changed.

As much as I am upset with Janice Winfrey [[she's running an election like we are a third world country) I think this is a wake-up call to the Duggan camp. Any idea of being overconfident for the general election just went out the window. The vote total is not insurmountable for Duggan but he is going to have to get out there and work... and that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    There is no evidence they threw out 20,000 votes. It seems like they overstated the number of votes that were cast. If they disqualified 20,000 votes and didn't award them to anyone, you should expect a big uproar from the Duggan camp.

I think the public and the two remaining candidates deserve to know exactly how the numbers changed.
    I hope that's the case because fox 2 new reported the votes as being thrown out.

The story is changing still. It appears they are planning on throwing out 18,000 votes that might have been "mishandled"?

A county election official told the board the remaining votes were not counted because city election workers improperly tallied them.

The county uses hash-marks to tally votes. Instead, city election workers used numbers to tally some of the votes. Since numbers were used and not hash marks, they were uncounted.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...#ixzz2cXhIrjE5

is this because of misspellings? I saw a hysterical news clip, bunch of people lost they shit because the group responsible for counting votes were awarding votes to M.Doogin and Mac Dougen and similar spelling mistakes.
    Phaps M.Duggan should request a placard in the voting booth so people know how to spell his name

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    is this because of misspellings? I saw a hysterical news clip, bunch of people lost they shit because the group responsible for counting votes were awarding votes to M.Doogin and Mac Dougen and similar spelling mistakes.
    Phaps M.Duggan should request a placard in the voting booth so people know how to spell his name
    Well he'll be on the ballot so......

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    There is no evidence they threw out 20,000 votes. It seems like they overstated the number of votes that were cast.
    According to the very short blurb on WDIV website, the votes were thrown out.

It was originally reported that Duggan received the most votes. He was considered the front-runner heading into the general election, but now that appears to have changed since thousands of votes were thrown away. Duggan would have been the first write-in candidate in Detroit's history to win a primary election.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/p...g/-/index.html

Jackie Currie was roundly criticized for sending ballots to dead people. I thought Janice Winfrey would be better. The bar wasn't super high, was it?

We were conned into believing the average voter couldn't write "Duggan" correctly in the right space, but it turned out to be a ruse by those in the Public Employ to hide that fact they can't accurately count numbers that are numerically less than their Annual Pensions.
    Last edited by coracle; August-20-13 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    A county election official told the board the remaining votes were not counted because city election workers improperly tallied them.

The county uses hash-marks to tally votes. Instead, city election workers used numbers to tally some of the votes. Since numbers were used and not hash marks, they were uncounted.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...#ixzz2cXhIrjE5
    This is one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard for throwing ballots out. Were these workers really not instructed on how to correctly count/mark the ballots?

The other thing to take from this is that Duggan still won the election in a landslide but the ballot counters are imcompetent so it looks like Napolean won.

This is ridiculous...it honestly makes you laugh sometimes how incompetent this city is. Nonetheless, at least we get daily entertainment living in this region.

What about the counsel candidates? How did this affect their numbers?

Now they board is saying they will not certify the election. They want the state to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Now they board is saying they will not certify the election. They want the state to take over.
    LOL. If this wasn't so sad, it's be funny.

Well now I'm remembering when someone [[Robert Davis?) was complaining about Winfrey not having certified her election inspectors and therefore not being ready for the election. At the time, the state said she could identify them and certify them right up to election day.

The counting process is spelled out on the Secretary of State's website. The hash marks apparently enable verification and help ensure that no counting errors are made. I suppose if you have to certify an election you want the ability to see backup documentation that contains a tick mark for each ballot rather than someone just giving you the number they say they counted. That would allow the canvassers to audit the counting. Only alternative would be for the canvassers to count the ballots by hand all over again.

Maybe she should have done a better job of picking her inspectors and ensuring they knew the process.

"At issue is some 18,000 votes that were not properly notated by city elections officials. Counters typically use hash marks when tabulating. Some Detroit elections workers chose to just write numbers instead. The votes where numbers were used are being left out of the final tally."

http://www.freep.com/article/2013082...imary-election

So, city workers that didn't know they couldn't use numbers cost 18,000 votes. Seriously...

Oops...missed previous post saying similar thing...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast