Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will Duggan win the swing voters? Lisa Howze endorses Duggan for Mayor

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

She only had 5% of the vote, but she/Napoleon were my next two choices after Mike "Ain't Nothin but a 2-G's in My Name Thang" Duggan.

I'm a Duggan supporter. I wrote him in and I'll be voting for him this fall. That out the way...

I think most people can determine Tom Barrow was the biggest motivator the Duggan camp could have asked for. Tell a bunch of black seniors that they can't vote for someone? After many of them lived through the bullshit where voting was strictly and violently denied them? You could this reaction coming a mile away.

Similarly some overenthusiastic Duggan supporters just might drive up support for Napoleon. Keep beating the drum about how black voters might revert back to supporting their own like they always do. Keep up the comparisons to Kwame Kilpatrick. Keep telling how Benny [[a 30+ year operative in Wayne county politics) is more of the same, while Duggan [[a 30+ year operative in Wayne county politics) is a breath of fresh air.

People don't like having their voting rights taken away. They also don't like constantly being told how stupid others percieve them to be*. They will respond at the ballot box.

My point in all this is, as someone who really does think Duggan is the best suited for the job...Be careful and think before broadcasting your thoughts to the world.

*The labelling of Snyder and his EM puppets as "the grownups are here" is another sly insult to voting public, but that's for another thread.

This election is already over. Duggan will win. Then again, most people thought Hendrix was going to beat King Kwame......

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    People don't like having their voting rights taken away. They also don't like constantly being told how stupid others percieve them to be*. They will respond at the ballot box.

My point in all this is, as someone who really does think Duggan is the best suited for the job...Be careful and think before broadcasting your thoughts to the world.

*The labelling of Snyder and his EM puppets as "the grownups are here" is another sly insult to voting public, but that's for another thread.
    Agreed.

I think pragmatic, solution-minded people need to quash the emotional rhetoric and name-calling. On both sides. The middle dialogue has been hijacked by dysfunction for long enough.

I had a charming discussion at church Sunday. A visitor was there.I was wearing my Duggan button. He asked why I supported Duggan. I told him. He told me why he did not support Duggan. We both civilly agreed to disagree but we both concurred people need to get out and vote.

This has been one interesting primary and November will sure be interesting too.

WOW! They just announced on the news that Benny Napoleon actually WON the primary!!!!
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23...on-beat-duggan
    Last edited by getmoore; August-20-13 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    WOW! They just announced on the news that Benny Napoleon actually WON the primary!!!!
    This is not even registering.

How is this even possible?

I have no idea. i'd like to see an explanation on how the numbers could be so far off. SMH.......

Something smells awfully fishy here

A county election official told the board the remaining votes were not counted because city election workers improperly tallied them.

The county uses hash-marks to tally votes. Instead, city election workers used numbers to tally some of the votes. Since numbers were used and not hash marks, they were uncounted.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...#ixzz2cXf14min

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    A county election official told the board the remaining votes were not counted because city election workers improperly tallied them.

The county uses hash-marks to tally votes. Instead, city election workers used numbers to tally some of the votes. Since numbers were used and not hash marks, they were uncounted.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...#ixzz2cXf14min

Oh yeah, that makes PERFECT sense. Those people shouldn't have their votes counted, they messed up by having the wrong worker count their votes.

Is there any reason why they just don't re-count the entire thing instead of stripping 20,000 voters of their voice?

Looks like the Wayne County machine made Ms. Howze a plum job offer, contingent, of course, on her endorsement of the machine candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Looks like the Wayne County machine made Ms. Howze a plum job offer, contingent, of course, on her endorsement of the machine candidate.
    Why, that cannot be true. Duggan is not part of the political machine. He is a breath of fresh air. If she gets something out of this, surely it will only be a coincidence. Even though some people in this community were saying even before the election, "Wait until after the primary and you will see where she really stands."

curious. I wonder what topics will come up at the debates- I guess the primary "decision" will probably be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    Why, that cannot be true. Duggan is not part of the political machine. He is a breath of fresh air. If she gets something out of this, surely it will only be a coincidence. Even though some people in this community were saying even before the election, "Wait until after the primary and you will see where she really stands."
    Having read the M-Live article twice now, I still haven't caught the part where she was given a "plum job offer". Do you guys have a different article then the one I'm looking @?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Having read the M-Live article twice now, I still haven't caught the part where she was given a "plum job offer". Do you guys have a different article then the one I'm looking @?
    For the record, she said, just a few moments ago, that she hasn't been offered anything. Then Duggan followed her and said he was happy for her support and he wouldn't be surprised if she plays a role in guiding Detroit's future whether in the private sector or the public.

Best to leave it at that - for now.

Now I hear that Lisa Howze's house was broken into by five guys on the same day she endorsed Duggan!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Oh yeah, that makes PERFECT sense. Those people shouldn't have their votes counted, they messed up by having the wrong worker count their votes.

Is there any reason why they just don't re-count the entire thing instead of stripping 20,000 voters of their voice?
    I can understand the principle of not having your votes counted, but even if they were to re-count the votes, it would be a waste of time and money if it doesn't change the outcome, as either way the contenders will be Duggan and Napoleon in the November election.

Now I hear that Lisa Howze's house was broken into by five guys on the same day she endorsed Duggan!
    This is just nuts, if this is true I am embarrass for my city. We are acting more and more like a third world banana republic. I am actually beginning to think that we may need federal oversight for this general election.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I can understand the principle of not having your votes counted, but even if they were to re-count the votes, it would be a waste of time and money if it doesn't change the outcome, as either way the contenders will be Duggan and Napoleon in the November election.
    I totally disagree. They need to make this right. This is a major slap in the face for Detroit voters. We got up, went to the polls, cast our ballots, and now Detroit's saying "Sorry Charlie, your's doesn't count, a screw-up marked it wrong". What a crock. Disheartening is what it is.

I was listening to her tell the story and all she said was somebody broke in and stole $58 dollars off the top of a printer and left before they could steal anything more. I didn't hear her mention how many people as she did not see anybody, since she was hiding under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I was listening to her tell the story and all she said was somebody broke in and stole $58 dollars off the top of a printer and left before they could steal anything more. I didn't hear her mention how many people as she did not see anybody, since she was hiding under the bed.
    I believe her neighbors said there were five guys.
    http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/232031...an-endorsement
    Last edited by getmoore; August-21-13 at 11:57 AM.

I agree with others, that the votes must either count, or be re-counted. There is a perception and in many places reality that the voting rights of the less fortunate and minorities are surpressed.

They have two options in my mind:

1) Allow the votes to count
    2) Recount

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I agree with others, that the votes must either count, or be re-counted. There is a perception and in many places reality that the voting rights of the less fortunate and minorities are surpressed.

They have two options in my mind:

1) Allow the votes to count
    2) Recount
    And I completely understand that feeling.

But I would think this would only matter if counting these votes would change the outcome of the election, which in this case it won't.

Now one argument I will go to bat for is how people's votes won't matter with Kevyn Orr in charge. Theoretically, if Detroiters supposedly vote for a candidate, Orr as an unaccounted official managing the city can remove the candidate for whatever, and ultimately dictate whatever decisions they make, even if the citizens if Detroit disagree. Heck, he can even suspend the November election if he wants. Yeah, some people will make a stretch to say Snyder is an elected official who's over Kevyn Orr, but at the same time Snyder isn't just accountable to Detroiters, but everyone in Michigan [[which Detroit is now only a very small portion of), and beyond that, Snyder isn't impacted by Orr's decisions as he's not a resident of Detroit.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-21-13 at 01:20 PM.

And I completely understand that feeling.

But I would think this would only matter if counting these votes would change the outcome of the election, which in this case it won't.

Now one argument I will go to bat for is how people's votes won't matter with Kevyn Orr in charge. Theoretically, if Detroiters supposedly vote for a candidate, Orr as an unaccounted official managing the city can remove the candidate for whatever, and ultimately dictate whatever decisions they make, even if the citizens if Detroit disagree. Heck, he can even suspend the November election if he wants. Yeah, some people will make a stretch to say Snyder is an elected official who's over Kevyn Orr, but at the same time Snyder isn't just accountable to Detroiters, but everyone in Michigan [[which Detroit is now only a very small portion of), and beyond that, Snyder isn't impacted by Orr's decisions as he's not a resident of Detroit.
    Gee, I sure wish the elected City officials that I voted for didn't take my tax $'s and run the City into the ground through negligence and incompetence, hadn't done that, then there would be no need for an EFM, but hey, you know? How many major screw-ups have we had already with just the Mayoral primaries? And now the Wayne County Board of Canvassers, and the candidates themselves are calling for State, and even Federal intervention? C'mon, you can't be serious......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast