Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Southfield Ramada being demolished

Bye bye Ramada, a.k.a. Shiawassee, a.k.a. Sheraton

http://www.dbusiness.com/DBusiness/J...ay-for-Future/

used to sneak in to their pool in the late 70s, early 80s

oops - wrong one

They need to also demolish that former Holiday Inn on Telegraph that became a drug/hooker haven in more recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    They need to also demolish that former Holiday Inn on Telegraph that became a drug/hooker haven in more recent years.
    That Holiday Inn is in the process of being purchased by a church that sits west of it, and will be converted into low income housing units so I've heard.

I looked at the street view of the hotel today, I wasn't familiar with it before. It seems kinda sad to see a big building, what was probably a nice hotel when it open, fall into disrepair. The cycle of life I suppose, but still the place looks so sad. Will the BCBS buildings on 11 Mile be next?

That would be a place to put that Walmart at

Or a Cheesecake Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Town View Post
    That would be a place to put that Walmart at

The BCBS buildings on 11 mile aren't in bad condition [[and are younger than the nearby former-AMC headquarters that they seem to be styled after), but it's unfortunate they've been vacant for so long.

So this would be destiny of southern corner of Southfield. A premier development opportunity to build low-income boondocks the would rival the 'The Women of Brewster Place' and Cabrini-Green. I can't wait to see what happens to Northland Mall area in 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So this would be destiny of southern corner of Southfield. A premier development opportunity to build low-income boondocks the would rival the 'The Women of Brewster Place' and Cabrini-Green. I can't wait to see what happens to Northland Mall area in 50 years.
    This is all speculation Danny, nothing has been approved.

I used to work at the building next door 17117 W Nine Mile 30+ years ago. If I recall, one of the 1982 Super Bowl teams [[when the game was in Pontiac) was staying at this hotel when it was called the Sheraton. Not sure if that was true, though.

When I was in my late teens a close friend of mine worked there for a couple of years as a bell captain. He would get us into unused rooms on the weekends, often with some booze from the stockrooms, for some pretty damn serious partying [[in that good ol' late '70s style), that would go on for a day or two.

So, my memories of that hotel are both warm and quite fuzzy. Another friend of mine though cites these parties, and the resulting hangovers, as the thing that drove him into AA.