Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Best place to park for Dequindre cut?

I'm planning to take the family down to bike ride the Dequindre cut and surrounding area. We're going to haul our bikes down and park. Where is the best place to park?

You could park at the Ren Cen, then ride you bike along the waterfront, take it to Atwater, then it's only a couple blocks to the greenway trail that takes you to the cut itself. The waterfront is a really nice ride and it's only a few minutes out of your way.

Depending upon what time you arrive there is public parking near the merry-go-round. I am unsure if they check for the State Parks Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Depending upon what time you arrive there is public parking near the merry-go-round. I am unsure if they check for the State Parks Pass.
    This is your best bet, or the one above. If you don't mind riding a bit, park away from the Cut and ride in. The ride is gorgeous.

Park in the Lafayette Foods parking lot at the corner of Lafayette and St. Aubin, [[3 blocks east of I-375). There is an entrance to "the cut" right there.

That parking lot has enough space for 200 cars and there are Never more than 25-35 at a time. It's right in front of the Lafayette Towers, across from Lafayette Park and 1300 High Rise. Like anywhere, don't leave valuables in the car.

Thanks, everyone!

Why not at the top of the Cut on Gratiot? That's where I've always parked with no hassles and no problems. Ive never noticed any broken window glass laying in the parking lot and is certainly safer than the Lafayette Foods parking lot. The lot is in the wide open right on Gratiot where only an idiot thief would try to break in a car and its at the far end of the line for the Cut. Its also easy access from I-75. I thought this would be a no brainer but no one mentioned it. On nice days there are often families with kids who park here and even BBQ keeping the lot safe from ding dongs.
    When you park on Gratiot you have the whole Dequinder Cut in front of you starting with the beautiful graffiti works where the old train tracks used to be.

Or, cross Gratiot and park at eastern market. Django, i see cars parked, where you are talking about. I dont think it is a good spot. Accident waiting to happen

Django-Old Miami, tomorrow at 4 pm. Detroit Bike Co, having a party. Detroit Cobras will be playing.

Ill try and be there at the Miami PGN,

How is that an accident waiting to happen? Its a huge parking lot.

We can argue about my accident waiting to happen at the Miami,whoever we feels won buys the Ghettoblaster.

Every time i drive by, i see 1-4 vehicles parked there, out in the open.nobody around. Sitting ducks. At least at the market, there are more vehicles, and people are around

To me -- especially if you're not savvy about the area -- the Rivard Plaza [[foot of Rivard and location of the above-mentioned merry-go-round) is a no brainer. Puts you almost in the middle of the River Walk, only a few blocks from the Dequindre Cut. You can bike east, west or north from there [[more or less). Parking is posted free for two hours [[but I've never seen them check, and a State Park pass is not required), the entire area is patrolled by River Walk Security, not to mention being across the street from the Border Patrol's HQ. On the way to the Cut, you can also take in Milliken State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Every time i drive by, i see 1-4 vehicles parked there, out in the open.nobody around. Sitting ducks. At least at the market, there are more vehicles, and people are around
    We've parked at the Gratiot entrance to the Dequindre Cut numerous times since it opened...and never had a problem or felt even the least bit wary about parking there while walking the Cut.

Yeah parking there is free. The key is to get there early as the lot fills up by 4 PM... I parked there and walked the Riverwalk to Hart Plaza, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Parking at the Cut and Gratiot is probably best for those that have bikes or are ready to walk a good distance. Im always on my bike so I didnt really consider folks that just want to walk around to check out the riverfront and a bit of the Cut. If your bringing your bikes and ready to ride I say Gratiot X Dequinder parking lot at the top of the Cut. If your walkin to see the riverfront and the art, park near the river and Dequinder.

Does anyone know if you can go to the cut and do some artwork with a can of spray paint on the walls there? Is this a grey area?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Parking at the Cut and Gratiot is probably best for those that have bikes or are ready to walk a good distance. Im always on my bike so I didnt really consider folks that just want to walk around to check out the riverfront and a bit of the Cut. If your bringing your bikes and ready to ride I say Gratiot X Dequinder parking lot at the top of the Cut. If your walkin to see the riverfront and the art, park near the river and Dequinder.

Does anyone know if you can go to the cut and do some artwork with a can of spray paint on the walls there? Is this a grey area?
    I thought vandalism and defacing private/public property were against the law?

Umm, last I checked but it's all over.......