Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone remember Wallich Lumber?

Amazing how many local businesses have disappeared over the years and how little remains of their existence. Wallich Lumber is a perfect example. You can hardly find any mention of it on line anywhere. They were a staple off Lyndon in NW Detroit [[not far from Twin Pines) for years and advertised quite a bit. Do you recall this business?

Sure do. Was a name I heard everyday growing up. My dad and my Grandfather had a lumberyard at 12375 Southfield south of Schoolcraft From the mid 40's to the mid 60's. My grandfather was President of the Detroit Lumber Fabricators Association a couple of times. Some other lesser known names in that area were Roger Hansen Lumber on Meyers and Boltrick Coal and Lumber at 19651 Schoolcraft. Of course there was Mohawk and Greenfield Lumber in the area too. I'm attaching a couple of photos of the Westside Lumbermen's bowling league from 1960.Name:  001.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  52.5 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  52.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Amazing how many local businesses have disappeared over the years and how little remains of their existence. Wallich Lumber is a perfect example. You can hardly find any mention of it on line anywhere. They were a staple off Lyndon in NW Detroit [[not far from Twin Pines) for years and advertised quite a bit. Do you recall this business?
    Sure do, worked at Norwest Plumbing/Heating Supply at nw corner of Meyers and Lyndon til they went out in about 92 or so. Nearby we had Wyoming plbg, mcNichol hdwe, Wallside lumber, a cemetery , Moskovitz mechanical and the Northwest Activities Center where PAL was very active years ago to get local kids involved in ice hockey, baseball and other sports. Remember it well. Remember lots of ice hockey games there watching our son. Worked at norwest til 4:30, then home for a quick meal then off to life as a hockey mom.

Jack Adams Arena is what you're referring to. Played there in the 70's and 80's. Coached there in the 90's up to a couple years ago.

Wyoming Plumbing is still there. You better know what you want, the sarcasm there is free.

HT, I coached at Jack Adams in the early 70s. Might you have been a pee wee or bantam about that time? PM me if you want to know more.

A friend worked at Friendship Building Supplies [[or something along those lines) for a while in the late 70s. I think it was right by Lyndon and Schaeffer. He would pile up bricks and help load them onto trucks, definitely got him into shape! Same general area. I was golfing with a group last year, somehow it came up in conversation that one of the guys did business with Friendship, I think they're still in business.

Remember it well - lived near GR & Meyers [[Mendota), anyone have a photo of it from the 1950's or 1960's ?????

You'd swear the place never existed if you check the web. No photos, references... nothing. They used to advertise a lot in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Jack Adams Arena is what you're referring to. Played there in the 70's and 80's. Coached there in the 90's up to a couple years ago.

Wyoming Plumbing is still there. You better know what you want, the sarcasm there is free.
    Wyoming plumbing was well known for that forever. There was a guy there named Burt, keep me laughing ever time i called there.

yes, you are right, it was Jack Adams Arena. My son played there against the pal hockey bantham team as i recall. We had a female player, got a bit sticky, no dressing room and some of the kids had never played with female on the team. Little rough in the beginning but once everyone calmed down and they saw that she was simply a girl who play hockey just fine with the boys, last 2 periods went grand.

ICE HOCKEY
    those were the days, everynight either a game or practice and Redford board meetings, every weekend tournaments......just recover from that and it's
    BASEBALL
    practice day and evening, unless playing in a tourney or game

miss that. Hockey mom [[retired) baseball mom [[retired). Now its just plain

Lily