Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging Lowell,,,,tponetom

Paging Lowell,
    Re: The March 9, ‘post’. "...and what Don't you like about the new forum?
    and,,,,,,Re: My June 24, ‘post,’ Piddling in the Puddles

I was going to post a reply to the "new forum" question until I realized that my reply would be swamped by the naysayers. I like the new forum. So that was that, for the time being.
    I like it much better now because I have ONE CLICK access to Detroit Connections.
    Three months later I wrote my ‘piddle’ post. It was all ‘tongue in cheek.’ I asked if anyone knew who wrote that text. I did. I wrote it in1946 during my senior year in high school. Brother Brendan asked the class to write any kind of an essay using a few words with variable meanings. When he got around to editing my essay, verbally, in front of the class, he was a little apprehensive of what I might say. He asked me what I meant by using the word, "piddle." [[In those years, piddle usually referred to the act of urinating. That is a vulgar and impolite usage of the word.) I cited the dictionaries definition of the word: dawdling, wasting time, dealing in trifles etc. I think he may have been holding his breath, but then he gave a palpable sigh of relief.
    He then asked me to explain my essay in general. I said, "It means instead of wasting your time in your own little world, there is a great big world out there to splash around in."
    Today, July10, a simple analogy hit me. Yes, let the forum expand. Don’t let it get mired down in its own little world or it will surely disappear.
    Piddling in Puddles may be fun for awhile, but soon the puddles may dry up.
    Hey! I might even begin to understand some of the cryptic and esoteric features that might be useful to me. For the time being I will simply employ the 'smilies' and the fonts and colors and the bold, underlined italics.

t:
    So, I was dead wrong in my reference to Finnegans Wake!

Heh, I was so sure it was Joyce, too.

Gaz, Bob,
    I thought you might have been close. H2O refers to water which might pertain to a "plumber'. I had an older sister named "Joyce." [[dec.)