Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DetroitYES programmer Wins a Michigan State Handball Championship

Congrats to Nic on winning the Class A Michigan State Outdoor Handball Championship held this weekend on Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan.

Nic is the programmer for and a partner in the DetroitYES project. He is the developer of our smart default Headline News page that displays and headlines based on member and audience activity every 15 minutes.

The following email tournament results announcement was released by the Michigan Handball Association www.mhandball.org today.

Beautiful weather at the Island this weekend as the MHA wrapped up its three wall tournament schedule. Special thanks to Rick Leonard for organizing the draws and handling the scheduling. Kudos to Dale Chimenti and special friend Joyce for handling all of the food and beverage duties, Dale works his but off and we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

In the open division, it was Pat Oliver [[MHA poster child) powering his way through the field and prevailing in a two game finale over The Road Runner - Pete Dembeck.

The 50's saw Iron Man Marty Clemens win in two games over Chris Monsour. Marty was just one point shy of making his way into the finals of the open as well the 50's division. Wow, way to go Marty!

The A division featured the younger generation from the Sims and Boileau clans, and it was a youthful Nic Boileau over a slightly older Presley. It was a real war between them as Nic outlasted Presley in the tie- breaker.

And in the black and blue 60's division, hobbling perennial Rick Howe beat fast limping Eddie Green in two games. Enjoy some rest and some Advil today guys, you deserve it!

Good luck to all of you who are heading down to the National Tournament in Toledo in a few weeks.

MHA

Yeah, we're little happy for him.

Lowell

Congratulations.

Nice job....

Lowell,
    50 years ago, another member of the Detroit Forum also won the Class “A” Doubles Championship on the old wooden courts near the beach.

Bobby Ambros [[“Cadillac Bob”) played left court and I covered the right court. Our opponents were Dr. August, DDS, and his teenage son, Steve. We beat them in two straight games.

Just a few years later, Steve went on the National Circuit and became a terrific competitor. He won his share of national titles.

Bobby worked for the Cadillac Corp. He drove a Cadillac and he always parked it on the grass alongside of the courts. The trunk was always open,,,,,, and filled with beer and a bit of other beverages. One Sunday morning, the patrolling officer stopped and was going to write Bob a ticket for illegal parking. He changed his mind when he was persuaded by a few other officers including the Assistant Chief of Police, the Personnel Lieutenant and a couple of Sergeants. They told the officer that he should, ’very definitely’ do his duty and not be influenced by their presence. The officer decided not to write the ticket.

Oh, those were the days!!!!!

Great story Tponetom. I remember the wooden courts on the beach but it was before my handball time so I never got to play on them. When you mentioned the name August, I knew it immediately. That was a great win for you. Again they were before my time but they were legends whose names I heard often in high regard.

Today was a perfect dry, sunny, 72 degree day for handball. We played until the sun went down, seven game of doubles for me, all right court just like you. The new [34 years old already] courts are great. I wish they had been built on the beach so one could just jump straight way into the water when done but they are wonderful and in great condition.

There are six courts so waiting for court time is minimal if any. Our handball association has kept them painted and the roof repaired. It's all part of handball "The Perfect Game".

Congrats to Nic!! What a Boileau Family legacy!!!

Congratulations! Funnny, I typed 'congrats' and it wouldn't let me save, has to be at least 10 characters!