Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is this building? [Forest Arms Apartments]

UPDATE: Forest Arms Restoration nearing completion 8 years after being gutted by fire. Photo during Dally in the Alley 2016.

==============================
    Is anybody here familiar with THIS building? Who owns it, when did it become abandoned and what are its prospects for the future?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...=12,238.3,,0,0

That's Forest Arms apartments, and it was occupied but then there was a fire a few years ago [[I forget how many).

It's just taking them a long time to get it fixed back up.

It was occupied but burned around 2008. Scott Lowell [[Traffic Jam, Bronx, numerous apartments around the area) purchased it. I believe he's partnered with Midtown Detroit, Inc. to stabilize it. Full renovation is planned for the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That's Forest Arms apartments, and it was occupied but then there was a fire a few years ago [[I forget how many).

It's just taking them a long time to get it fixed back up.

Designed by Baxter & O'Dell. Forest Apartments 4625 Second built in 1905 Warren-Prentis Historic District.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I recently found the architect of the building next door to the south of the Forest Apartments. Designed by Charles E. Shippey. Biltmore Apartments 4609 Second Avenue built in 1915 Warren-Prentis Historic District. Included is an image from a 1915 issue of Ohio Architect, Engineer & Builder magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I lived there, in the late sixties. Worked as "caretaker" for nearly a year. It was beautiful, inside and out. Mostly Wayne State students on the lower floors, but many long time tenants upstairs: Faculty, some professionals, and many who lived there for years and even decades.
    Toyed with the idea of leasing an apartment upon retirement one day. If/when it is actually restored, I suspect the rent will be considerably higher than the 125 dollars per month we paid then!

I'm at the point where now I'm just stunned and dissapointed this building is taking so long to renovate. I remember photographing this building in ruins back when I was still living in Michigan. I take it this place was uninsured?

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    It was occupied but burned around 2008. Scott Lowell [[Traffic Jam, Bronx, numerous apartments around the area) purchased it. I believe he's partnered with Midtown Detroit, Inc. to stabilize it. Full renovation is planned for the near future.
    Hey thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. And HP... how soon is near future? Was there any sort of time table put out?

Wow! Sad that they removed the cool balconies. Those were a nice amenity. Thanks for the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I recently found the architect of the building next door to the south of the Forest Apartments. Designed by Charles E. Shippey. Biltmore Apartments 4609 Second Avenue built in 1915 Warren-Prentis Historic District. Included is an image from a 1915 issue of Ohio Architect, Engineer & Builder magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Hey thanks for all the quick feedback everyone. And HP... how soon is near future? Was there any sort of time table put out?
    My girlfriend lived right behind Forest Arms a little while back, and they are actively working on stabilizing it, but it seems to be a very small crew pulling out, say, fridges and washers and stuff like that. I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's [[anyone with links, appreciate it) but the entire Midtown+ area threw a huge fit and he caved real quick. I would love to see Forest Arms get rehabbed, I always loved that building.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's
    I am pretty certain this was not true.

My girlfriend lived right behind Forest Arms a little while back, and they are actively working on stabilizing it, but it seems to be a very small crew pulling out, say, fridges and washers and stuff like that. I know Scott had considered leveling it and putting up parking or a Tim Horton's [[anyone with links, appreciate it) but the entire Midtown+ area threw a huge fit and he caved real quick. I would love to see Forest Arms get rehabbed, I always loved that building.
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
    It would be nice if you followed up such a brash statements with at least some facts that you indeed DO know what you are talking about... rather than just flippant comments with no further information whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It would be nice if you followed up such a brash statements with at least some facts that you indeed DO know what you are talking about... rather than just flippant comments with no further information whatsoever...
    It would be nice if individuals asked questions instead of instantaneously accusing individuals of things that are incorrect.

It would be nice if individuals asked questions instead of instantaneously accusing individuals of things that are incorrect.
    What was incorrect about the original question you seems to tick you off?

Motz said he knew Scott wanted to dismantle the property to build a Tim Horton's or parking lot. This is incorrect, The fire was under the previous owners, the city wanted to demolish it quickly. The building has been stabilized but financing is a very hard thing to get in 2013 in the City of Detroit. If the Forest Arms were operating it would have little vacancy.

We lived next to the Bronx Bar in that cool Victorian house in 1969. At the time it wasn't in the best shape, looks better today. One of the other denizens of the building back then told a story about being there the day those porches fell off. I don't know if he was smoking something, but apparently there was a stability problem with the balconies. It's still a fine looking building.

Motz said he knew Scott wanted to dismantle the property to build a Tim Horton's or parking lot. This is incorrect, The fire was under the previous owners, the city wanted to demolish it quickly. The building has been stabilized but financing is a very hard thing to get in 2013 in the City of Detroit. If the Forest Arms were operating it would have little vacancy.
    Very well stated, exactly what we wanted to know.

I lived at Forest Arms in '84/'85. Had the dubious honor of occupying the "bay window" basement apartment on the south end. I believe rent was just under $300.

Thanks for correcting me on that. I had heard from people that it was Scott, but hadn't read any articles relating to Forest Arms in quite some time. I never knew how true the Tim Horton's thing was, but always thought it was a good analogy for how "development" gets done around here sometimes.

Thanks for correcting me on that. I had heard from people that it was Scott, but hadn't read any articles relating to Forest Arms in quite some time. I never knew how true the Tim Horton's thing was, but always thought it was a good analogy for how "development" gets done around here sometimes.
    No problem. I don't think people always understand the amount of effort it takes to do things around here sometimes. I value your response. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Wow. To have the building be vacant for so long as to inspire a "What is this building?" post on DetroitYES! I remember the fanfare of Scott Lowell's announcement that he was going to rescue the building. Now, I'm not saying that it won't happen, eventually, but it's a fact that Lowell owns plenty of properties around town and isn't doing much with them. And that statement is unrelated to all the bad blood various people I know have between themselves and him. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Forest Arms. But ... yeah, what's the holdup?

Thanks for your answer... that is indeed a beautiful building....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    But ... yeah, what's the holdup?
    Financing. What else could it be? I can't believe how much pressure some of us put on single individuals, like they are magical. I, without a doubt in my mind believe if the money was there the building would be repaired.

the city wanted to demolish it quickly.
    I want us all to think long and hard about this. This is the kind of shortsighted behavior that has brought us, in large part, to where we are today: a terrifying city known for its vast tracts of vacant land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast