Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "The Detroit Almanac: 300 Years" book

A vacating department at work was clearing out officespace, getting rid of stuff-- mainly giveaway coffee mugs and other knick-knacks.. but this book stood out to me-- Published by the FreePress/Malloy, Inc., publishing date is 2000, and the editors are Peter Gavrilovich and Bill McGraw. I've just started poring through this.. It's yellow-pages thick, and it seems to be a history of Detroit, from the colonial days until 1999/2000, with lots of photos. Seems like there would be lots of good information here. Obviously nothing about the post-2000 era. Considering the city's recent "birthday" and the obvious travails of late, it was perhaps kismet I found it. Okay, just a coincidence. But still cool.

I got that book. I'm constantly thumbing through it!

It would be cool if they came out with a revised edition.

I believe I have that book. Got it free for signing up for a Free Press 7 day home delivery years ago. It's around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    I believe I have that book. Got it free for signing up for a Free Press 7 day home delivery years ago. It's around here somewhere.

Check your doorstops, could be one of them... kidding. Sounds interesting.

I have that book; it's great for leaving on the coffee table or in your bathroom "library" for occasional perusing. Lot's of good info on the history of the region and why Detroit is really worth saving despite what some parts of the national media would like you to believe.

Makes me proud to call myself a Detroiter, seriously.

We gave that as a gift to my husbands uncle who retired out of state. He was genuinely thrilled. Of course it might be we gave him something. We rarely do cards buy gifts or even wrap them if we do. We are not cheap, we donate to many causes just not sentimental.The book is a fun read of Detroit history. Lots of errors in fact but over all a decent read.

And yes I am a proud Detroiter too and we have great history.

Yeah, I cited most of my "rogue's gallery" http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ser-Fame/page4from personalities in that book. Of course, the book is worth having on hand for far better things.

I found it when I was cleaning out my mother's apartment after she died.

It'd be nice to see an updated architecture book on Detroit. Last one I can think of that was pretty comprehensive was "American City" but that only covered up to 2005. Been a hell of a lot happening in the past 10 years.