Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dee-troit Bankrupt, Dee-troit Bankrupt...

Did anyone else pick up that chant by Cleveland fans at the Tigers-Indians game in Cleveland last night?

It arose as Indian fans tried to drown out the large contingent of Detroit fans who annoyed them by chanting 'Eat'em up Tigers, Eat'em up'.

So it was sweet when the smoking hot Tigers shut them up in a 14 inning thriller that has knocked the hopeful Indians 6 games back and has them facing a four game sweep on their turf.

I guess our fans get to chant 'Sweep'em up Tigers, Sweep'em up' or maybe even 'Shut'em up Tigers, shut'em up'.

Cleveland likes to pretend. Downtown is clean -- and dead. I've been there 3 times in the last year and it turns into a ghost town after 5.

My heartfelt letter posted on the official Cleveland Indians FB page:

Cleveland, we aren't even mad. Fact of the matter is, if you went bankrupt, nobody would care. Your basketball team is owned by a guy who left your city for Detroit. That's right, he left you for a bankrupt city. As in, even when bankrupt, our city is still more desirable. Now is a good time to collectively stumble back into your mothers' basements and pursue more productive hobbies such as finding slightly higher paying jobs in the fast food industry. See you at the truck stop next time I pass through your states main attraction, the turnpike on my way to Philly, Chicago, or any other city in the country that people actually care about. Making fun of Ohio is like making fun of the autistic kid in class. Distastefully easy and mean but occasionally necessary to set the record straight. You're welcome for our auto industry and the resulting manufacturing jobs that have allowed you to piggy back upon our success for the last century or so. Feel free to throw your tail between your legs and hop back on after we bootstrap our way up a second time. Your entire existence is absolutely derivative of ours, and truth is your over fed, under educated, uncultured fans just set the entire city's head on a tee worse than Danny Salazar pitching to Cabrera in the bottom of the 8th last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    Cleveland, we aren't even mad. Fact of the matter is, if you went bankrupt, nobody would care.
    That's all that really needs to be said.

Case and point, 1978:

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...'s_Default

I had no idea until I read one of those deadspin comments.

As seen/posted many times before; these are as priceless as they are pertinent:

http://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY

http://youtu.be/oZzgAjjuqZM

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    As seen/posted many times before; these are as priceless as they are pertinent:

http://youtu.be/ysmLA5TqbIY

http://youtu.be/oZzgAjjuqZM
    You beat me to it.

"The sports team from my area is SUPERIOR to the sports team from your area."

Traxus, you just went to the bottom of my list, lol. I mean, really, what's the point in insulting an entire city, particularly a city that has more in common with your city than uncommon? Cleveland is just Detroit without the auto industry, so it's fall has been smoother, it's heights perhaps not quite as grand.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Traxus, you just went to the bottom of my list, lol. I mean, really, what's the point in insulting an entire city, particularly a city that has more in common with your city than uncommon? Cleveland is just Detroit without the auto industry, so it's fall has been smoother, it's heights perhaps not quite as grand.
    I reiterate:

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    ...Distastefully easy and mean but occasionally necessary to set the record straight...

I mean, it's not really THAT big of a deal, but I was irritated. I'm fine with smack talking and such, but keep the off the field stuff exactly that. I remember watching a Tigers-Red Sox game and someone was chanting DUI when Cabrera was batting. Classless. Just like the fans last night. I'm going to the Lions-Browns game in October and I hope they don't start that.
    Last edited by dmike76; August-08-13 at 01:48 PM.

The biggest crowd at Indians games is for dollar dog night. They're barely drawing 20,000 for the most important series of the year. nuff said.

What a weird thing to chant in Cleveland, of all places, As pointed out above, they beat Detroit to insolvency by 35 years [[and they haven't been all that fiscally healthy since).

People with glass houses, or in this case houses that imprison young girls for 10 years, shouldn't throw stones. No chanting tonight as we are destroying them. Bless you boys!

This sums it all up!

They are not a "real" sports town anyway.

From WRIF's FB page.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-08-13 at 08:24 PM.

Maybe we can start up the Michigan/Ohio war of the 1830s again and finally take Toledo back.

On the other hand, forget that.

I'm not excusing what Indians fans did. It was tasteless. However, it's not a surprise they were mad. Most home fans would be ticked off if visiting fans were that loud. Not excusing what that Indians fans said, but I can see why they were mad. They could have found something different to chant, though. And my understanding is that Cleveland is that much better off than Detroit. The Deadspin comments are entertaining, though. We have similar sentiments between Cardinals and Cubs fans. The Cardinals fans joke about 1908 and Cub fans talk about how we're all rednecks and how rundown St. Louis is. You don't hear it chanted at the games, though.
    Last edited by LeannaM; August-08-13 at 10:38 PM.

Yes I caught that chant, it was sad and tasteless. Obviously meant to demoralize our team. Didn't work. We won so no BFD

The mistake by the lake team is now seven games back. Let them chant.

When your fan base can only fill half the stadium, including a lot of fans from Detroit, in a battle of the top two teams in the division, you deserve to be called out by the visiting. The bankrupt cheer was classless, but I don't expect much more from Cleveland fans. Back when their team was good and the Tigers sucked, they use to drive up to Comerica and were extremely obnoxious.

Ditto. Chant not worthy of any more space here.

Lily