Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm REALLY Loving Chief James Craig

He may finally be the right person we need to steer the DPD ship right and reduce crime.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...f#.UgGw0U_D-1t

Police Chief to Trim Executive Protection Unit

Fox2's Charlie LeDuff reports that Detroit Police James Craig is cutting the Executive Protection Unit from 20 to six.

I love it, usually its the mayor telling the police chief what to do. Chief Craig is telling Mayor Bing what he is going to do !

There is a definite increase in police presence in the areas of town I frequent, including Belle Isle! I cannot remember seeing walking patrols in the morning before this summer, it always amuses me to see the dudes in blue strolling around...wondering now what they'd do if there was a real emergency, I've seen 'em miles away from their base.

Of course, the high-speed chases seem to have increased as well...wonder how much of that we'll have to suffer before the perps realize they can't run any longer?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Of course, the high-speed chases seem to have increased as well...wonder how much of that we'll have to suffer before the perps realize they can't run any longer?!
    Or the cowboys, er, I mean cops, realize not every misdeed requires an all out chase. People keep saying there's only two cars on patrol in a precinct at a given time, but when there's a chase, there's scores of cars. Where are they keeping them?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Or the cowboys, er, I mean cops, realize not every misdeed requires an all out chase. People keep saying there's only two cars on patrol in a precinct at a given time, but when there's a chase, there's scores of cars. Where are they keeping them?
    You're walking a fine line there. I understand your point about people and property getting hurt, but what kind of message are you sending when you say "If you just drive away fast, they'll be no repurcussions"? That IS one of the big problems. Criminals feel they own the streets, and have to answer to no one.

Chief Craig does it again...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Detroit police to bring back gang suppression unit

Detroit — Police Chief James Craig plans to reintroduce a version of the Gang Squad, which was disbanded in March amid an outcry from residents.

The move comes as the Detroit Crime Commission, a private organization that works with area law enforcement agencies, is launching a program with the Detroit Police Department to identify the scope of the city’s gang problem.

“I’m looking to bring back a gang suppression unit really quickly,” Craig said. “I’m not sure what form it’ll take right now, but we will have a unit in place soon.”

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Chief Craig does it again...

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

[U][B]
    Chief Goodbee had to answer to Bing. That was the reason for virtual precints, disbandment of the gang squad, and longer hours with low pay. Chief Craig doesn't answer to Bing. Bing can't fire him. This is the reason for the positive changes

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Chief Goodbee had to answer to Bing. That was the reason for virtual precints, disbandment of the gang squad, and longer hours with low pay. Chief Craig doesn't answer to Bing. Bing can't fire him. This is the reason for the positive changes
    Those are just excuses for their mind blowing incompetence.

Those are just excuses for their mind blowing incompetence.
    I'd love to see Vice squad stop busting hipster parties and blind pigs and actually focus on the drug trade that has ruined parts of the city. That might be a good idea, you know, getting the violent criminals and drug dealers off the street instead of issuing tickets to hipsters having late night parties or a group of guys hanging out at a social club after hours.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I'd love to see Vice squad stop busting hipster parties and blind pigs and actually focus on the drug trade that has ruined parts of the city. That might be a good idea, you know, getting the violent criminals and drug dealers off the street instead of issuing tickets to hipsters having late night parties or a group of guys hanging out at a social club after hours.
    The hipsters need to start greasing palms like the drug dealers do, and they wouldn't have these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're walking a fine line there. I understand your point about people and property getting hurt, but what kind of message are you sending when you say "If you just drive away fast, they'll be no repurcussions"? That IS one of the big problems. Criminals feel they own the streets, and have to answer to no one.
    Then you are missing my point. Nowhere did I say, "If you just drive away fast, they'll be no repercussions",

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Then you are missing my point. Nowhere did I say, "If you just drive away fast, they'll be no repercussions",
    Of course you didn't, I can read. But the insinuation is there....... Or the cowboys, er, I mean cops, realize not every misdeed requires an all out chase. I have yet to read where there was a 3 car pile-up because the cops were after someone who didn't pay for an energy bar @ Ho' Foods. No, I don't think I'm missing you point, unless it wasn't very clear to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    There is A LOT of drug dealing operating of of blind pigs, not to mention underage drinking and prostitution. Every one of those busts I've seen stories on has those elements

ACCOUNTABILITY??!!!! TRANSPARENCY???!!!!! WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!? I'm really starting to like what this guy's doing.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There is A LOT of drug dealing operating of of blind pigs, not to mention underage drinking and prostitution. Every one of those busts I've seen stories on has those elements
    Have you ever been to the establishments they've raided? I've been to a handful, I [[luckily) ducked out of Bert's Warehouse before it got raided for underage drinking, drug sales and "prostitution". If someone is caught doing any type of sexual activity, they say they busted up a prostitution ring. If someone is caught with marijuana or a few pills on them, thats busting up a dangerous drug ring. I've been to a few of the establishments that were raided for underage whatever, drug dealing, prostitution, etc. I can tell you, that was not the case. Vice will do whatever they have to do to stay relevant, all the while disregarding those who are doing the true damage to the city. And like Honky Tonk mentioned, all for some kickbacks and a couple perks.

Although Orr’s report is based on numbers supplied by the Detroit Police Department, it doesn’t reflect reality, Police Chief James Craig said, because of flaws in the way officers’ activity has been reported.

The June 14 report said it takes police an average of 58 minutes to respond to life-threatening emergencies, and that homicide investigators solve only 11 percent of the city’s murders — numbers that were immediately met with skepticism within the police department.

After the report was released, Gov. Rick Snyder repeated them on network television, while national pundits weighed in, including “The Daily Show” guest-host John Oliver, who quipped, “If you get shot in Detroit, you can get a pizza faster than you can get a cop."

But Craig said police respond much quicker than the reported 58 minutes. For years, police response time in Detroit was counted from the time a resident first places a 911 call, while most law enforcement agencies start the clock after dispatchers assign the call to officers. Craig said he isn’t sure why Detroit deviated from the standard method of counting response time.
    Prior to revamping the dispatch system, Detroit counted many non-life-threatening 911 calls as emergencies, including break-ins, burglar alarms and other crimes with no immediate life-threatening danger, Craig said. About half of all calls were classified as emergencies, the new chief said.

A close examination of “life-threatening emergency” calls revealed it took police an average of 15 minutes to respond — a figure Craig said he hopes to whittle down to 7-8 minutes.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2bP6K9ij3
    Lots of good stuff coming out of Craig... but doesn't this just sound like the same old excuse making?

Is he really saying that dispatchers, on average, spend 40-45 or more minutes [[to get to his 15 minute average response time) on every call?

Is that normal? 40 minutes to assign a call? And really, if we're going to go with his logic that the cop isn't the problem in a 58 minute average response time.... THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM. isn't there? or are we to understand an hour average from dialing 911 a normal thing?
    Last edited by bailey; August-08-13 at 01:46 PM.

Think they will bring the mounted section back [[horses)?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Think they will bring the mounted section back [[horses)?
    They're still around. I've seen "mounties" @ Eastern Mark-Up on Satudays. [[VERY early in the season)

Yeah, the response time counting is an excuse and a superficial change in my mind, but being honest with the public with the mismanagement, plus re-allocating misused officers and employing Compstat is a nice start, IMO.

Or, how about the chain-gang unit?

Attachment 21084

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Lots of good stuff coming out of Craig... but doesn't this just sound like the same old excuse making?

Is he really saying that dispatchers, on average, spend 40-45 or more minutes [[to get to his 15 minute average response time) on every call?

Is that normal? 40 minutes to assign a call? And really, if we're going to go with his logic that the cop isn't the problem in a 58 minute average response time.... THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM. isn't there? or are we to understand an hour average from dialing 911 a normal thing?
    I don't think so, I believe he is saying that basically there are two problems which makes police response time an apples to oranges comparison. One is what constitutes an emergency 911 call. Two, how is response time tracked. In both cases it seems that Detroit is not in synch with how other big cities do it. I don't consider that excuse making. Craig, I think still sees a problem.

I'm just upset that our lame-duck mayor had the gall to pass over Craig not once but twice. Makes you wonder how many other good people for other departments he passed over to hire internal candidates not worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I don't think so, I believe he is saying that basically there are two problems which makes police response time an apples to oranges comparison. One is what constitutes an emergency 911 call. Two, how is response time tracked. In both cases it seems that Detroit is not in synch with how other big cities do it. I don't consider that excuse making. Craig, I think still sees a problem.
    And I really think he is addressing it by saying "In reality, 15 minutes is the average for a true life-threatening emergency, but that still isn't acceptable and I intend on cutting it down to 7-8 minutes". That shows that he knows the problem isn't JUST Detroit's back assward reporting techniques, but something deeper.

He may finally be the right person we need to steer the DPD ship right and reduce crime.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...f#.UgGw0U_D-1t

[/B][/U]
    I hope you aren't 'loving him' and a DPD officer since we have a pretty strong record of that around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Or, how about the chain-gang unit?

Attachment 21084
    Detroit's broke and can't afford the eggs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast