Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default so who voted? Duggan and Napoleon Win Detroit Mayoral Primary

We got an early start. Two ggs people. I know, I am just being annoying. Please vote for who ever you wish but please vote.

I had a difficult choice cause we have so many good candidates in district 5. It was a hard decision.

Voted here, too. Turnout was pretty solid early at my polling location

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Voted here, too. Turnout was pretty solid early at my polling location
    that is good news. sadly we were 24 and 25. It was early though. Did joke with poll workers. I think my street are the major voters in our area and they concurred.

Media just reported that only 17% of the population will vote today at the rate it's going now. What a shame. You want change, you need change, you demand better...but you don't participate. What's wrong with people? Things in Detroit won't just change without change in the administration [[even with Orr at the helm today). Orr will leave and someone will have to take over. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Duegon gets more votes than many of the candidates who are qualified. The "I don't care" attitude is alive and well in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Media just reported that only 17% of the population will vote today at the rate it's going now. What a shame. You want change, you need change, you demand better...but you don't participate. What's wrong with people? Things in Detroit won't just change without change in the administration [[even with Orr at the helm today). Orr will leave and someone will have to take over. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Duegon gets more votes than many of the candidates who are qualified. The "I don't care" attitude is alive and well in Detroit.
    Yep, just blame Detroiters for everything. And let the media reinforce your opinions without looking for perspective.

Off year elections, elections for local officials, and primaries almost universally suffer from low voter turnout.

From fairvote.org:

Low turnout is most pronounced in off-year elections for state legislators and local officials as well as primaries. In many cities, for example, mayors of major cities often are elected with single-digit turnout ; for example, turnout was only 5 percent of registered voters in a recent Dallas mayoral election, 6 percent in Charlotte, and 7 percent in Austin.
    Just check out that "I don't care" attitude in Charlotte and Austin! Those dumps! And that was for the general election, not the primary. But it's so much easier to blame all Detroiters, isn't it? Even if Detroit shares many of the same societal problems that exist throughout our country.

BTW, I was voter # 139 at my precinct when I voted at 10:30am.

I was voter #006 at 7:30 a.m. and wrote in Mike Dugeon for City Clerk.

CTY

[[only one of the above statements is true).

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yep, just blame Detroiters for everything. And let the media reinforce your opinions without looking for perspective.

Off year elections, elections for local officials, and primaries almost universally suffer from low voter turnout.
    Just check out that "I don't care" attitude in Charlotte and Austin! Those dumps! And that was for the general election, not the primary. But it's so much easier to blame all Detroiters, isn't it? Even if Detroit shares many of the same societal problems that exist throughout our country.
    While I don't disagree generally.... don't you sort of think THIS particular primary should be viewed as a little more important than just any old off year election primary? I don't recall any off-year primary being discussed, debated or covered like this one.
    Last edited by bailey; August-06-13 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I was voter #006 at 7:30 a.m. and wrote in Mike Dugeon for City Clerk.

CTY

[[only one of the above statements is true).
    you mean that your spelling is better than your sense of humor

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    While I don't disagree generally.... don't you sort of think THIS particular primary should be viewed as a little more important than just any old off year election primary? I don't recall any off-year primary being discussed, debated or covered like this one.
    And I don't disagree with you, Bailey. The fact is voter participation of all Americans frustrates me to no end. Some of it has to do with roadblocks endemic in the voting process. Why do we hold elections on what is usually a workday for most people? Why not hold them on weekends? Why just one day? Why not over two days, or more?

But more to the point is my frustration that Detroiters and/or Detroit voters are often used as the whipping boy by the media, the peanut gallery, and in this particular instance by cla1945.

From fairvote.org:

BTW, I was voter # 139 at my precinct when I voted at 10:30am.
    ^^^Post of the year.

This post is too intelligent for this site.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ^^^Post of the year.
    But it doesn't belong here. Too much thought was put into it.

Voted 7:35am at St. Matthew. I was #15. Very few campaigns represented in the parking lot. In past elections it was like running a gauntlet to get into the building.

"so who has voted?"

Guilty...

Voted at 7:30, was #5. I'd say we had about 100 voters by noon at Frederick Douglas in District 6.

I pay taxes to the city but I don't have the right to vote. Taxation without representation....

Hollier for 5

And I don't disagree with you, Bailey. The fact is voter participation of all Americans frustrates me to no end. Some of it has to do with roadblocks endemic in the voting process. Why do we hold elections on what is usually a workday for most people? Why not hold them on weekends? Why just one day? Why not over two days, or more?
    Anyone who's truly motivated to vote will find a way. Absentee is a viable option if one's schedule is an issue. I question whether we really want unmotivated and unengaged voters.

But more to the point is my frustration that Detroiters and/or Detroit voters are often used as the whipping boy by the media, the peanut gallery, and in this particular instance by cla1945.
    Well, given the parade of clowns elected in Detroit by Detroiters can you really blame them? Pugh, Conyers, Reeves, Bates, Kilpatrick, Watson, BRC, Reverend Murray, etc.. I know the choices aren't always that great, but the electoral decision making of a large number of Detroiters understandably brings ridicule upon the city.

I am blaming Detroiters for this particular problem with the no shows. Who else would you refer to when you speak of an election that is voting for the Mayor of Detroit...Lapeer voters?

This particular election has been written about, been on television, been discussed at the churches, on the corners and in the barbershop...it's a very important election for Detroit.

There has been some hairbrained things that have happened and I would guess that many people do have an "I don't care" attitude. Believe me, I wish it were different...we'll see what kind of turnout there was after it's over.

Whatever happens in Detroit has an impact on myself and 20,000 other people as well. I have a hard time understanding why people choose to disrespect the messenger and smooth over a lackadaisical disinterest in what happens in their hometown.

Based on my facebook feed, a good and healthy chunk of my Detroit-based friends and former colleagues have done so. Good on them.

As for us here in NYC...well, we're just counting down the days until we can vote Anthony Weiner into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I question whether we really want unmotivated and unengaged voters..

^^^^ Yeah that! I never did understand the push to get everyone [[No matter how uninformed they may be) to the polls. Of course we should all have our say in a democracy, but I think we end up with a better results when those casting their ballots are making informed choices and not just filling in circles next to the names that they recognize.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-06-13 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Well, given the parade of clowns elected in Detroit by Detroiters can you really blame them? Pugh, Conyers, Reeves, Bates, Kilpatrick, Watson, BRC, Reverend Murray, etc.. I know the choices aren't always that great, but the electoral decision making of a large number of Detroiters understandably brings ridicule upon the city.
    Yeah, and the mayor of Toronto smokes crack, the mayor of San Diego sexually harasses any woman who comes within a hundred feet of him, one of Wisconsin's US Senators thinks global warming is caused by sunspots, the governor of Virginia took millions in bribes from a quack peddler of snake-oil pharmaceuticals, and let's not forget the mayor of Troy [[elected in Troy by...Troy-ites? Trojans?) who tried to turn down free money to build a transit center because something something Obama, and ended up accepting a reduced amount of free money in exchange for a somewhat crappier transit center.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Whatever happens in Detroit has an impact on myself and 20,000 other people as well.
    Will you care so much when bankruptcy is over and the fate of your pension is decided? Your posting history makes it clear that your concern has nothing to do with the residents and the state of the city, it is just your pension that is driving you to give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Yeah, and the mayor of Toronto smokes crack, the mayor of San Diego sexually harasses any woman who comes within a hundred feet of him, one of Wisconsin's US Senators thinks global warming is caused by sunspots, the governor of Virginia took millions in bribes from a quack peddler of snake-oil pharmaceuticals, and let's not forget the mayor of Troy [[elected in Troy by...Troy-ites? Trojans?) who tried to turn down free money to build a transit center because something something Obama, and ended up accepting a reduced amount of free money in exchange for a somewhat crappier transit center.
    Don't forget that there was only about a 15-20% turnout in troy when there was a question about booting the crazy Mayor out of office.

Pretty certain that the best way to guarantee a higher voter turnout is to turn Election Day into a national holiday, or hold it on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I pay taxes to the city but I don't have the right to vote. Taxation without representation....
    You want to vote somewhere, you have to fucking live there as a citizen. You want to vote in Detroit, then move there. It's not rocket science. You draw a paycheck here apparently, so just be grateful for that. I pay sales tax when I shop in the suburbs, so how about you let me screw around with your elections? Resident aliens pay taxes, how about we let them elect our president? Please try to think these things through before you start on with your tea party nonsense.

I voted today. #16 at 720 this morning.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast