Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Urban Prairie Views

I find this whole concept fascinating.

Here's one from the East side near the airport:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  27.8 KB

All
    What would be really interesting is if you could juxtapose the exact same street view to a point back in time before the very first home was abandoned or burned to the ground. There would be cars in the driveways, nicely trimmed lawns, a canopy of trees lining the streets and then of course kids, kids and more kids [[our parents, aunts and uncles) playing on the sidewalks or street hockey in the middle of the street... it would be a neat little trip to see the "with people" view and today's view "without people" view. I'm coming back to Detroit for a visit with my kids later this month and plan on taking them on a tour of my old neighborhood on the lower east-side that has fairly large tracks of urban prairie and many bombed out burned out striped out crumbling on its foundation type housing stock.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    All
    What would be really interesting is if you could juxtapose the exact same street view to a point back in time before the very first home was abandoned or burned to the ground. There would be cars in the driveways, nicely trimmed lawns, a canopy of trees lining the streets and then of course kids, kids and more kids [[our parents, aunts and uncles) playing on the sidewalks or street hockey in the middle of the street... it would be a neat little trip to see the "with people" view and today's view "without people" view. I'm coming back to Detroit for a visit with my kids later this month and plan on taking them on a tour of my old neighborhood on the lower east-side that has fairly large tracks of urban prairie and many bombed out burned out striped out crumbling on its foundation type housing stock.
    The kids will be thrilled......

I'm calling it shock and awe, they will probably say "Daddy where did you, Grandma and Grandpa pitch your tent" I'll have to tell them that the grass was much shorter back when I was a kid. Honestly even for me as an aging adult that used to roam those streets as a teenager 30-40 years ago I still find it difficult to wrap my brain around all the neglect, destruction, looting of internal organs of homes and abandonment.

I'm calling it shock and awe, they will probably say "Daddy where did you, Grandma and Grandpa pitch your tent" I'll have to tell them that the grass was much shorter back when I was a kid. Honestly even for me as an aging adult that used to roam those streets as a teenager 30-40 years ago I still find it difficult to wrap my brain around all the neglect, destruction, looting of internal organs of homes and abandonment.
    I know exactly what you mean. I no longer live in my original neighborhood either. I drive through once a year or so, and I too "find it difficult to wrap my brain around" the fact we used to walk to school, play in playgrounds, neighbors helped neighbors, etc., etc., etc. I almost question myself if it really happened or not.

Yep...those streets are straight out of a Twilight Zone episode. Just what was Ron Serling smoking in that pipe afterall!

Yep...those streets are straight out of a Twilight Zone episode. Just what was Ron Serling smoking in that pipe afterall!
    Rod Serling. And he smoked cigarettes, lots of cigarettes. It would be interesting to see what he would have written about Detroit's urban praries.

All I can say is things change.

When my Mom 's home got burnt down I knew about it, never told her, I let her out of town sister deliver that news. Yes, I am a gutless wonder.

Honestly and said it before, I like my prairie. People moved to the burbs, for the "country life style", we stayed and have amazing vistas.

They have traffic.

I still want a goat though. I will amend that, I want a horse too.

And one from the West Side near the former site of a sign all West Siders who are over the age of 40 should know very well.
    Name:  westsideurbanprairie.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  31.4 KB

And a different kind of urban prairie, this one is so interesting I've started a thread about it.
    Name:  downriverurbanprairie.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  26.7 KB
    Last edited by mtburb; August-06-13 at 06:18 PM.

This is 16th, just north of W. Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    All I can say is things change.

When my Mom 's home got burnt down I knew about it, never told her, I let her out of town sister deliver that news. Yes, I am a gutless wonder.

Honestly and said it before, I like my prairie. People moved to the burbs, for the "country life style", we stayed and have amazing vistas.

They have traffic.

I still want a goat though. I will amend that, I want a horse too.
    You mean, you want a goat like this? I was fascinated with the video in this post:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...highlight=goat

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    You mean, you want a goat like this? I was fascinated with the video in this post:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...highlight=goat
    You've never been? You've GOT to get invited to a night on the tug.

No, I know she means a real goat. Keep the grass down without the commotion and sweat involved with a power mower. As for the horse, not enough room and she is allergic. Do like the Goat Yard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    No, I know she means a real goat. Keep the grass down without the commotion and sweat involved with a power mower. As for the horse, not enough room and she is allergic. Do like the Goat Yard, though.
    You might not have to mow, but you're going to have to have a pooper scooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You might not have to mow, but you're going to have to have a pooper scooper.
    With 3 dogs I have one. It doubles as a great yard tool too.

We had cousins when I was a kid who lived semi rural in Ohio. They had pet goats, apple, peaches, pumpkin and pie. I acquired a fondness for those critters. They also had a pony on site named pony.

It was like a city kids idea of heaven.

They leased farm land and part of the deal was to maintain several Arabian horses. As a kid and into my 20's I loved to ride but Ron is right I developed allergies and can't go near a horse. For that I feel sad.

Urban prairies depress me.

I love 'em. So peaceful. Probably not good for the city's tax base, but as a non car owner it's kind of hard for me to make it to the country. So I'll take an urban prairie in a pinch. Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I love 'em. So peaceful. Probably not good for the city's tax base, but as a non car owner it's kind of hard for me to make it to the country. So I'll take an urban prairie in a pinch. Great thread.
    I take the complete opposite stance.

I want to live in a big city. If I wanted to be surrounded by the countryside, I would move to the countryside.

That's another reason why I must leave Detroit. As JenniferL said, it is depressing, I'm sure especially for those who remember all sorts of commercial, industrial and residential properties occupying these prairies.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-10-13 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    I have to go with KJ5. I love the quiet and the wildlife, [[read: nature) that has moved back into the City with the additional space.

If what passes for nature for you are trash-strewn vacant lots [[above basements and foundations filled with the contents of what used to be the house on top of them) with weeds that grow 6 feet high in the summer time, then I really feel sorry for you.

It's not like the areas are safe, either. There's no one around to hear you scream, so to speak.

Go to Huron National Forest if you like nature. Just because a rat-eating pheasant runs accross a pile of mattresses in a vacant lot doesn't mean you're at Yosemite in the 'hood.

What I wouldn't mind is if these tracts truly were turned into honest-to-God nature reserves [[or redeveloped) instead of left languishing. Of course, that would require creativity, planning, and work, none of which are natural to the leadership around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You've never been? You've GOT to get invited to a night on the tug.
    No, I don't really know where this is,never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    If what passes for nature for you are trash-strewn vacant lots [[above basements and foundations filled with the contents of what used to be the house on top of them) with weeds that grow 6 feet high in the summer time, then I really feel sorry for you.

It's not like the areas are safe, either. There's no one around to hear you scream, so to speak.

Go to Huron National Forest if you like nature. Just because a rat-eating pheasant runs accross a pile of mattresses in a vacant lot doesn't mean you're at Yosemite in the 'hood.

What I wouldn't mind is if these tracts truly were turned into honest-to-God nature reserves [[or redeveloped) instead of left languishing. Of course, that would require creativity, planning, and work, none of which are natural to the leadership around here.
    But obviously, we're not referring to the trash filled, ill kept lots. Even the photos posted don't reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    But obviously, we're not referring to the trash filled, ill kept lots. Even the photos posted don't reflect that.
    But what poobert describes makes up the majority of these empty lots in Detroit, especially away from Downtown/Midtown.

Try driving through the lower east side, 48205, the neighborhood NW of Tiger Stadium, North End, Delray, etc. and his description is quite accurate.

This alone drags down the morale of many Detroiters and is really the straw that breaks the camel's back when convincing them to leave. No normal/well-off person wants to live around/drive through this crap everyday.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-10-13 at 08:18 AM.

I much prefer prairie to burnt out hulks of homes. I am a little spoiled though. My block is half prairie but as a block association we keep the blvds mowed and 65% of vacant land mowed as well. We also get some help from local churches. Our street [[Jefferson to Gratiot) is a little well run community

We do several cleanups a year and my complaint is trash. We pick up Amazing quantities. That certainly isn't just a detroit problem, drive any freeway. How so many people litter drives me nuts.

We have one serious eyesore on the corner. Other than that I love my street.
    We do leave some areas wild for the pheasants, bunnys and fox but could do without the opossums.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    But what poobert describes makes up the majority of these empty lots in Detroit, especially away from Downtown/Midtown.

Try driving through the lower east side, 48205, the neighborhood NW of Tiger Stadium, North End, Delray, etc. and his description is quite accurate.

This alone drags down the morale of many Detroiters and is really the straw that breaks the camel's back when convincing them to leave. No normal/well-off person wants to live around/drive through this crap everyday.
    Hey, HEY, HEY!?!?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast