Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bert's on Broadway

I was walking to Greektown last night and noticed "Bert's on Broadway" in the old "Dirty Jerzees" location. After a bit of research, it appears this location has been a trouble spot [[multiple shootings in the last few years), and also that Bert's on Broadway was there in the past as well. Anyone know anything about it? They are having a grand opening party this Friday, according to their FB page. Is this related to Bert's in Eastern Market? I do love a good blues club and delicious Cajun cuisine, and I hope this will bring another desirable attraction downtown.

https://www.facebook.com/BertsBluesO...60191067365265

^^^ I don't think this is the same Bert's as the one in Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I don't think this is the same Bert's as the one in Eastern Market.
    I believe Bert died or retired and his son is managing the one in Eastern Market. Could be one of his relatives is opening a satellite bar on Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I believe Bert died or retired and his son is managing the one in Eastern Market. Could be one of his relatives is opening a satellite bar on Broadway.
    I haven't been around Bert or his empire in years, but the original Bert's on Broadway was run by his son who later ran for City Council at the very end of the Kwhyme regime.

He had CONSIDERABLE real estate holdings, and I'd bet never gave this property up.

I wouldn't expect the quality of marksmanship to improve with this new crowd, but likely they'll still be shooting up the street.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if this turns out to not be the case. There is now a Z-building in the rest of that block, and it will be a Gilbert security juggernaut...so I expect Broadway to be one of the fronts of the Gentrification Wars of Detroit.

[[that is how some people view the onslaught of white skin in this town...not me, I'm just observing!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    This establishment IS related to the Bert's in Eastern Market, as the name Bert is the same Bert as the Berts in Eastern Market...it is his son running it, Bert is alive and running the Bert's in Eastern Market, and YES...they are convinced they are being targeted in a gentrification push to corral their movements, or close down completely. Of course it is bad business decisions, code violations, and archaic racial 'blame game' excuses which is affecting their bad business decisions...not some fantasy 'white man' movement to push them out. Things are definitely changing in Eastern Market, Harmony Park, Midtown, The Riverfront Park, Dequinder Cut, Brush Park, Belle Isle Park, Cass Park, Campus Martias......etc, etc. Gentrification doesn't have to be a bad thing. Rather than fighting to keep the things that are not working and keeping Detroit back...why not jump on the bandwagon, voice your ideas and fight for them. We ALL want Detroit to be a safe, fun, prosperous place to live and visit. Let's work together, rather than against. Change is inevitable.

Bert has been around Detroit for years and years. He used to be kiddie-corner from the Hotel Pontchartrain. [[anybody here remember the place with the 2 huge "coach" lanterns on it?) Bert has been holding outdoor BBQ's, karaokee, and Jazz concerts since dinosaurs started playing stand up bass. I've sent numerous out-of towners to his Thursday open mic/Jazz thing, and other then complaining about smelling of fried fish the next day, no one ever came back and complained about racism or not feeling welcome. Everyone thought it was a very cool experience. In fact, Bert's, @ Eastern Mark-Up was about the most peaceful, racially mixed crowd you could find anywhere in Detroit. When Eastern Mark-Up became privatized, things started changing. "For the better" is questionable. Bert's no longer "fit In" to Eastern Mark-Up's grand scheme of things, and the fact that market goers wandered accross the street to eat BBQ and sing karaokee, rubbed someone the wrong way. His licenses weren't being renewed, citing "violations". You'll notice he's no longer commandeering a section of Russell, or part of the sidewalk. So there's some truth to Bert's "white man" claims. I like Bert's. It is a unique "real" Detroit experience. If you like to watch magic coffee beans swirling around plastic tubes, then paying through the nose for a cup of it, then it probably isn't for you. Some people enjoy a more contrived experience.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-05-13 at 08:56 AM.

Can't we like them both, Honky Tonk?

I wasn't aware of the troubles Bert is having in EM. When I lived there, he and Dave Devries were THE two most hard-working individuals in the entire neighborhood. You almost never caught Bert sitting down, there was always something to do...even schlepping folding chairs and tables at four in the morning outside some days. He is an incredible person.

I brought up the Gentrification Wars, because they will come to a head where the younger generation bumps into friction and obstacles. Berts on Broadway was decidedly less integrated than his daddy's place in EM five years ago. If it returns in a similar fashion, there will be additional friction on Broadway.

If the powers of EM are hassling Bert...there might be some odd karma being played out. For years, it seemed like nothing happened in the market if it wasn't approved by both Rocky and Bert. They were the authorities of the area prior to Dan Carmody comin' to town.

There is the chance that Bert exceeded the legal limits in a few ways...
    Last edited by Gannon; August-05-13 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Can't we like them both, Honky Tonk?
    Why yes, yes you can. I just find the path Eastern Mark-Up is taking on the border of the ridiculous. I also find it offensive that they want to better themselves by laying waste to the people around them.

Cool, just making sure. I know they're extra funky at Bert's with the way they batter their catfish and don't use cornmeal.

Is Bert's Warehouse Theater owned by the same Bert? If so, I can say that a party I [[thankfully) did not attend got broken up for underage serving, afterhours serving, and multiple other things, no fault to the promoter. I've been to a large handful of parties that went late there, and they routinely served until 3-4 am in the morning if you went to the right area. Beyond that, I don't have much experience with Bert's besides seeing them at EM.

Bert's Warehouse is directly next door/behind and connected by doors to Bert's main EM bar, with the restaurant and "Motown Room" inbetween at the front.

They are all part of the same empire. [[I haven't been in since Harold passed, though, when the Motown Room was in construction. I cannot imagine going in there and not seeing his grin...then hearing another great story from his past. He and his brother had quite the life, since their father managed Stevie Wonder and they were all about the same age.)

They have had a very wide range of events in the Warehouse, there seems to be no bounds or exemptions to whom they'll rent it to. It seems to Bert the only color is Green. He and his team seem to keep a close lid on any troubles.

When I lived in EM, only witnessed/experienced three instances of trouble there...all which were immediately cleaned up. Exactly the same number as at Roma Cafe next door in the same time frame. Ahem.
    Last edited by Gannon; August-05-13 at 11:01 AM.

Bert's on Broadway seems to be aiming for a more diverse crowd...they are doing Blues on Thursday nights.

First night...tonight...are my friends Erich Goebel and James Cloyd, Jr with Glenn Giordano on drums.

If you don't yet know Erich for his blues guitar virtuosity, let alone depth of historic knowledge, you owe it to yourself to get downtown for this gig tonight. These fellows can jam.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; August-08-13 at 11:55 AM.

Isn't the place called "Blues on Broadway" now? I saw a banner with the name and a slogan professing New Orleans cuisine served there.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Isn't the place called "Blues on Broadway" now? I saw a banner with the name and a slogan professing New Orleans cuisine served there.
    It's "Bert's Blues on Broadway"

Thanks, Spartan. The name Bert wasn't as pronounced as "Blues on Broadway." I saw something in the top left-hand corner the other day when I drove passed and gathered that another name was on the banner.

I talked to Bert on Saturday and he confirmed that the "new" place on Broadway is a Blues club.

I didn't know about an underage drinking issue, but thanks Honkey Tonk and Gannon for giving him props.

Bert also hosts a group of Hasting Street old-timers, I think on every Monday.

Two or three summers ago, he opened his place/s on Russell for an afterparty for the World Social Forum gathering. On the Friday night of the forum, there were thousands mingling at Berts - inside and out - from many parts of the US and the world, for a very diverse afterparty.

It was quite amazing, and just as amazing to me, that there did not appear to be even one local station that covered that hugegathering that night.