Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default John's Carpet House - Blues in the Backwoods - of Detroit

I hope most of you can see this facebook album.

On Sundays, after 3:00 p.m., lovers of the Blues gather in a clearing, in the middle of a block surrounded by trees, with houses that are mostly gone. On St. Aubin, near Frederick.

They listen to music, eat bbq, grill sausages, corn and whatever else is for sale. Sagged pants are few to none, and that's how they like it. This is a place for Grown Folks.

If I was amazed at anything - and when I first went there, years ago, I was simply amazed at the fact that it was there - it was the huge number of really nice cars there. There are often vintage cars on parade and dressed up motorcycles.

It occurred to me that many of these folks are retirees from the Big Three, and young folk foolishness is not welcome here.

They are there to hear the Blues.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5b0c0ab03a

I've been several times. It was always a really good time with very friendly people and some very good music.

Thank you I did not know about that. So many cool things around town.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I hope most of you can see this facebook album.

On Sundays, after 3:00 p.m., lovers of the Blues gather in a clearing, in the middle of a block surrounded by trees, with houses that are mostly gone. On St. Aubin, near Frederick.

They listen to music, eat bbq, grill sausages, corn and whatever else is for sale. Sagged pants are few to none, and that's how they like it. This is a place for Grown Folks.

If I was amazed at anything - and when I first went there, years ago, I was simply amazed at the fact that it was there - it was the huge number of really nice cars there. There are often vintage cars on parade and dressed up motorcycles.

It occurred to me that many of these folks are retirees from the Big Three, and young folk foolishness is not welcome here.

They are there to hear the Blues.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=5b0c0ab03a
    Is it EVERY Sunday? Do they always have food & drink for sale? Is it BYOC? [[bring your own chair)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is it EVERY Sunday? Do they always have food & drink for sale? Is it BYOC? [[bring your own chair)
    Ron said BYOC is bring your own chicken. But seriously this sounds interesting. Adult entertainment is such a novel idea. Hah! Ron adores his music, so how is parking? Us old farts have to consider these things.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Us old farts have to consider these things.
    Yeah, but we're not dead yet. I think this concept is GREAT! I plan on attending. The big question is: "What about bathrooms?"

Parking and bathrooms? Are you trying to yuppify John's Carpet House? Just go and try it out if your are driven by the Blues.
    Yeah, but we're not dead yet. I think this concept is GREAT! I plan on attending. The big question is: "What about bathrooms?"

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Parking and bathrooms? Are you trying to yuppify John's Carpet House? Just go and try it out if your are driven by the Blues.
    I was a member of the Dertoit Blues Society for years, does that count? I think I will check it out, it looks very appealing. I just don't want it to end up being a cesspool, like Midtown.....

I haven't been there in a couple years, but used to visit once or twice a month.

I remember a very diverse crowd of blues fans. Bring your own chair and a few bucks for when they pass the bucket. Mellow vibe, good time. There was a Porta John. Some folks bring their own small grills, like a hibachis. Some folks will sell you stuff from their own grill. Pop/water/ice cream were available. Parking can get tight. Lots of cool cars and bikes.

It isn't all old folks. I saw kids and grandkids during most of my visits. Everybody was on their best behavior. I never found anything other than friendly blues fans.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I bet you're younger than we are.....these considerations are of utmost importance, to those of us of a certain age, regardless of the dedication to the music.

Ok,

The bathroom is a portajohn. Parking is basically up and down St. Aubin, or halfway up one of the nearby blocks. Easy to figure out. The later you arrive, the further you'll have to park; maybe you'll have to walk a block or more.

They start up after 3:00 p.m., probably so that the church across the street is over before they start. Also, many of the musicians have played the night before and probably don't start up again too early.

As I said, it is a "grown folks" crowd [["grown" being not so much an age distinction, but a euphamism for "not knuckleheads"). This is a "grown" crowd; who want no trouble, just a good, Blues listening time.

There are always some whites there, and lots of real blues enthusiasts [[so Honkey Tonk, you might actually know someone there, black or white).

There's always food being sold - bbq dinners, polish and italian sausage, hot dogs, burgers and the like. Hubby and I ate pretty well for about $25, all total. You can also bring your own food, or a cooler. Some folks have an entire picnic set up.

They sell pop and beverages, too.

You have to bring your own stronger beverages [[I'm a teetoler so the details on this aren't my baliwick).

Bring your own chairs. Maybe an umbrella for the sun, if that's a concern.

It's all laid back and casual. When I've gotten there late, I've had to sit where I couldn't see well, but I could sure hear the music. When I"ve gotten there early, I've been right up front. Just follow the seating, you'll figure it out.

It's a friendly crowd.

It goes, more or less until about 9:00 or dark. I like to be out earlier than that.

It's one of those real, Dee-troit musical experiences.

Google Street View shows a PortAJohn and a curious outhouse that made a guest appearance in Vic's YouTube contribution.

I would not park on the side street directly closest to the "entry"; there is so much traffic there, and parades of vintage cars and bikes and such that it's too easy to get blocked in there when you're ready to go. I just park on St. Aubin.

Hey Marsha,
    I wrote a song about that too.

John built a shed up against his house,
    Let the neighborhood in to carouse.
    Every nation and creed would come
    to hear his blues guitar base and drum.

Music is universal, but blues is more universal than that.

I'd play harp and sing along
    make up words to fit in any song
    Drink and party til the break of day,
    wake up with women and just slink away.

I did more things than I remember, but everyone said I had a good time.

The outhouse is that last thing John Estes built before he died. His house was across the street with a huge shed attached that he built. There was a sign on it, which contained the house rules:

John's Carpet House
    LiVe bLues banD
    Don't like blues?
    don't go way mad, just go away
    No drugs no time.

That's all John ever needed to keep the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Hey Marsha,
    I wrote a song about that too.

John built a shed up against his house,
    Let the neighborhood in to carouse.
    Every nation and creed would come
    to hear his blues guitar base and drum.

Music is universal, but blues is more universal than that.

I'd play harp and sing along
    make up words to fit in any song
    Drink and party til the break of day,
    wake up with women and just slink away.

I did more things than I remember, but everyone said I had a good time.

The outhouse is that last thing John Estes built before he died. His house was across the street with a huge shed attached that he built. There was a sign on it, which contained the house rules:

John's Carpet House
    LiVe bLues banD
    Don't like blues?
    don't go way mad, just go away
    No drugs no time.

That's all John ever needed to keep the peace.
    Awesome story.... Thanx.

Will be there this Sunday

I remember when John had the shows across the street next to his house. I was a little intimidated cause I was new to the neighborhood at the time but over the years Ive watched it all grow to what it is today. Only met the man once and he was always eager to invite everyone in. What a great way to spend a Sunday. When the wind is right you can hear the music all the way over to Farnsworth and McDougall.

I could kick myself for not taking photos of the original shack. The hand painted signs were priceless.

Here are a couple pictures of the old shack and its interior.

http://johnscarpethouse.com/albums/Visit_2002-06-09/

Wish I woould have taken the time to photograph all that, Damn. I wonder if that hand painted sign is still around somewhere.

Ima gonna try and make it there later today.

I have my chairs folded and ready. I take each day at a time, so church first then we'll see. Serious surprised we have never heard of this. Ron adores all music, and his opera was driving me nuts today.

Kind of reminds me of the 70's when there was bands that played in a vacant field near WSU. Some band, I forget who, liked to toss Boones Farm bottles out and I got nailed in the head. I was serious pissed.

Thank you, thank you, Marsha, what a well kept eastside secret. I've been honest that we have slowed down but generally in the know. This one we were clueless. Ron loves his music and we invited a close friend who's in midtown now. They are music aficionados, me, I just like stuff that sounds good.

Of course I was prepared for a free will donation and it was worth every penny.

The only thing that sucked was someone had stole their porta potty. Also the originator said last weeks trash was over the top and to please keep your bad habits at home. I so concur, on a different thread, I ranted about litter.

We were there about 2.5 hrs but I taken a large diet coke from MacD and really had to "go". While leaving, A biker guy, Don, urged us to come back and bring a friend, we laughed and pointed to our friend and said we already have.

We had a great time and will go back. It was a great time so thanks again.

[QUOTE=sumas;39854}
    Kind of reminds me of the 70's when there was bands that played in a vacant field near WSU. Some band, I forget who, liked to toss Boones Farm bottles out and I got nailed in the head. I was serious pissed.[/QUOTE]

Not that I ever threw a Boones Farm bottle, but wow, that brings back some memories of the 60's and early 70's. Don't mean to thread jack, just brought back some memories.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Not that I ever threw a Boones Farm bottle, but wow, that brings back some memories of the 60's and early 70's. Don't mean to thread jack, just brought back some memories.
    Ok, old guy, help me out, what band was it that did the bottle thing. I assume you played with some bands cause you said you never threw bottles. Had loads of friends back in the day that played. Some successful, some not.

Again, its my husband who is the big music person. I can't sing or even whistle. We even have a room in our house we call the music room. We have donated most of his instruments to kids programs but we still have a dulcimer, an ordinary guitar, a fabulous classic Rickenbacker, harmonicas and a great piano.

Getting back to thread, we do have friends who made it in the music world big time and I will tell them what a great venue this is and hope to connect them with the organizer, These artists are Detroit bred and would have no issues with free performance if its a great feel.

They mostly live out of state now, but are here to see family on occasion.

It really was a great time.

I was at the jam yesterday and had a wonderful time. It was bigger that I remember, with more vending and a bigger crowd. Worst thing that happened to me was a sunburn. There were four carloads of folks from Ontario -- I think Kitchener and London.

The toilet issue has been solved, sort of. The stolen portable toilet hasn't been replaced, but a couple enterprising folks have set up their own units. I didn't stay long enough to need to use them, but I understand that they were operating on a "pay-to-pee" basis, and that at least one person in charge of a "throne" wouldn't give change.

There are probably a few metaphors about Detroit there.

Vic wrote:
    >>a couple enterprising folks have set up their own units... but I understand that they were operating on a "pay-to-pee" basis

Ha ha ha, capitalism at it's best. I could imagine the American Capitalist charging extra for toilet paper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast