Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default So you care... but will you DO something? If so, what, and how often?

A grenade was removed from an alley by the Detroit Bomb Squad on July 29th near Clairmount and 3rd. No big deal. I’m not a Detroit resident, and I’m not associated with any church or organization, but I did work one block away that day, clearing trash and overgrowth from alleys and vacant lots in support of the Life Remodeled project this last week of July. It’s a big undertaking with some 5,000 volunteers culminating with the dedication of the new home built for a needy family on Philadelphia Street this coming Sunday.
    On Monday, a young woman drove down 3rd street and angrily shouted to the volunteers, “Come clean up the REAL hood!” Moments later, a man stopped me on Taylor and asked if he could get somebody to help clean up an immobile woman’s back yard, so I suggested he speak with the work coordinators across the street. On Friday, another man asked me if a project like this would happen near Conant and 7 Mile soon, near where my Italian Grandmother lived about 70 years ago. All had valid points.
    Does anyone here believe it was worth the hard work? Physical improvements alone do not define or create economic vitality. If you multiply Life Remodeled efforts by 25 times in the city limits, it might make a statement that says “DETROIT LIVES.” Walkable neighborhoods, retail, schools, FAMILIES, jobs, safety, and survival may… just may result. If organizations could step up just 24 more times in the next 2 years [[yes, that’s 3 summer months each year), residents of Detroit might just start believing… What do YOU believe?

Thanks for your effort. The rise of Detroit is happening from the countless, often unheralded, acts of care and concern like yours.

Thank you bman. It is always appreciated for any extra help.

I always rave good [[usually) things about my neighborhood. Detroit is a block by block thing.

I have mentioned these things before, as a community, this year, we have saved 5 families from eviction, we mow our vacant lots, we have done clean ups, generally, this is internal, but we have had help from various churches. Many other projects are underway, some completed, some not. A person can walk safely up and down our street. 2.75 miles.

Hell yes, I believe!