Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Early Fall Symptoms-2013

So...other than the weird weather, which is cooler by far than usual, we've noticed some trees already changing color...throughout the city. Started a week ago.

This is turning out to be one strange Summer.

Heard some say the birds are flying south earlier, too, but I've not seen that yet...other than an increased Canada Geese population on Belle Isle.

Average high this time of year is 84°F. Forecast highs for the next seven days is in the 70s. I'm loving it.

I'm seeing more yellow leaves too — mainly from our locust tree. Glad it's not just me.

Bumper crop of giant wisteria bean pods this year — over 20 collected just from the driveway. The flowers were spectacular. Lots more baby squirrels too. They sure do love to play. Yep, more Canada Geese too.

Law Cabin reports that grackles and redwings are yarding up already.

Hummingbirds are starting their feeding-frenzy early.

Arctic high pressure systems sitting further south than usual have pushed the jet stream south. Places like Ellesmere Island - Canada's Northernmost island - have reported record high temps this summer

A cool La Nina summer means a very colder La Nina Winter. There will cold spells, winter storms, blizzards starting late October in Western Rockies. The Eastern part of the U.S. will get its cold spell by mid November. Be prepared.

Not a la nina year, and the west coast/southwest have been hotter [[8 degrees higher than the mean) and drier than normal this summer. This is all the jet stream, and largely a result of arctic ocean temperature increases

This is one of those threads where I hope everyone's wrong. But I have an eerie feeling about it too. I actually turned my furnace on twice this year for about a half hour in the evening to warm the house up after Memorial Day. Can't remember ever having to do that before. Left flowers and veggies in the greenhouse till really late in the spring because of cold weather. Then the monsoon season, a short period of really hot weather, and now cool again with a drought.

I'm still hoping for a decent fall. It would really help the economy around here.

And less than a month ago everyone was complaining that it was almost 100 degrees for over a week.

^^^ I was not complaining much. I like hot, for the short time that we have it. I rarely complain as we have a short hot season. Though the humidity is hard at night.

It has been different. I've had to shut close windows a bit and don a blanket a few nights. Odd for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    This is one of those threads where I hope everyone's wrong. But I have an eerie feeling about it too. I actually turned my furnace on twice this year for about a half hour in the evening to warm the house up after Memorial Day. Can't remember ever having to do that before. Left flowers and veggies in the greenhouse till really late in the spring because of cold weather. Then the monsoon season, a short period of really hot weather, and now cool again with a drought.

I'm still hoping for a decent fall. It would really help the economy around here.

I'm not sure, but I think this weather pattern may make for some top-notch vintages for MI vineyards

If Chuck Gaidica issues a cuddle alert you know its real. Or when Bell's breaks out the Special Double Cream Stout.

I live in the South these days and remember we ALL had a mild January but then there was "Marchuary" and a Cold May. We are Warm but not HOT this year [[kinda sticky, though) The Earth Ain't Coolin' friends. There was a Heat Wave in Southern Alaska, and Death Valley made it to almost 130! China and Siberia are Sweltering, too.

Highs in the 70s are fine by me. Much more comfortable and I don't have to pay to run the AC.

Anyone enjoying the searing heat today? I'm not. I thought we might be done with the 90s this year. Stay safe out there everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Anyone enjoying the searing heat today? I'm not. I thought we might be done with the 90s this year. Stay safe out there everyone.
    Thankfully it's supposed to cool off tomorrow.

Today reminds me of this miserable 24-minute classic Twilight Zone episode: The Midnight Sun. Why don't they don't write TV stories that well anymore?

Tip: Fill a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol and spray your arms to cool off. It stinks but works well. Stay away from open flames though!

my throw rugs dried super fast today