Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit pastor, father killed after asking neighbors to quiet down

This is speaks to why people say nothing, just go along, or move...

Police say Tim Kirby was shot, killed after asking neighbors to keep party noise down

Tim Kirby, 46, was very well-known in his community. He was a local pastor, a father of four and a community activist known for doing good work in the neighborhood.

However, on Monday night, trouble arrived at Kirby's apartment.

"It was devastating. I cried for a minute, and then it was like I couldn't cry no more," said his daughter, Tatiana Kirby. "He was a good father. He was always a caring person. Every Sunday we were always in church. He always made sure we had clothes, good clothes on our backs, food on the table."

Tim Kirby was at his home off Heritage Place Monday night. Police say his neighbors were having a big party with loud music and people screaming. Kirby went outside to ask his neighbors to bring the noise down.

"I was laying on the couch and I heard gunshots around 11:30," said a neighbor.

Investigators say men at the party became angry and began yelling at Kirby. One man opened fire, shooting Kirby three times. The cement in front of his apartment has been stained with blood where he fell to his death.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...z/-/index.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-13 at 11:01 AM.

its like the wild west around here.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    its like the wild west around here.
    Dead, because he asked them to keep the noise down. Probably disrespected them.

So one good man is dead and the shooter will end up in prison, surrounded by friends who got there first, so it will be a good time with bro-hugs all around. There just isn't a serious deterrent against crime any longer.

Don't have to get a job, receive free room and board all on the taxpayer's dime and all you have to do is kill someone? Pretty sweet deal. Damned thugs are lining up to kill people.

Gun violence, or any violence for that matter, is not going to stop until the penalty for committing the crime is ramped way, way up.

It's time for some good ol' fashioned eye-for-an-eye punishment around here.

Maybe after a few rounds of plugging guilty offenders, future possible offenders may wake up. [[and I don't even want to think about the repayment to those found guilty of beating someone with a bat and then raping them....)

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    So one good man is dead and the shooter will end up in prison, surrounded by friends who got there first, so it will be a good time with bro-hugs all around. There just isn't a serious deterrent against crime any longer.

Don't have to get a job, receive free room and board all on the taxpayer's dime and all you have to do is kill someone? Pretty sweet deal. Damned thugs are lining up to kill people.

Gun violence, or any violence for that matter, is not going to stop until the penalty for committing the crime is ramped way, way up.

It's time for some good ol' fashioned eye-for-an-eye punishment around here.

Maybe after a few rounds of plugging guilty offenders, future possible offenders may wake up. [[and I don't even want to think about the repayment to those found guilty of beating someone with a bat and then raping them....)
    I understand the frustration and I agree the punishment has to be ramped up, but in certain states like Fl, Tx and Ca those states have the ultimate punishment yet it doesn't serve as a deterrent. I think the only way an eye-for an eye punishment can serve as a deterrent is if it is open and public. The way we do capital punishment is in a closed environment with very few people watching. I believe that for something to be a deterrent [[for many) it has to be something that people can see, feel or hear. That's why way back in the day the stoning's, firing squads and hangings were done publicly. If societies norms dictate that today we don't show this things in public then capital punishment as a deterrent won't work. We are better off throwing them in a super-max prison for the rest of there life.
    Last edited by firstandten; August-03-13 at 07:00 AM.

The last two comments do tickle me. It's like catching a suicide bomber and sentencing him to death. Yea, it's got to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    The last two comments do tickle me. It's like catching a suicide bomber and sentencing him to death. Yea, it's got to work.
    Yes, but in the mind of the suicide bomber, there is glory in that death. No glory in the death sentence

Party-Goers Stand your Ground Law

A few weeks back I was complaining about squatters and their offensive music. I am not brave but made sure the crap stopped by contacting police and other neighbors and collectively we got that stopped.

I am sorry to hear a person lost their life by expecting others to respect their neighbors.

Many years ago we held an outdoor party for our teenage niece, told all adjoining neighbors in advance but promised all would shut down by 11pm. No complaints. Communication is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Many years ago we held an outdoor party for our teenage niece, told all adjoining neighbors in advance but promised all would shut down by 11pm. No complaints. Communication is a good thing.
    Communication is key, but more importantly was the respect [[and common sense) you showed. Sadly, treating people with respect isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

^^^ Yes, agreed. I have good neighbors. When yard parties are done, it is within reason and only once or twice a summer. Sadly with the uh-em 'neighbors' that killed the pastor, all values related to resolvability and being neighborly is absent in their mentality and world view.

They get off on and actually want their loud, stupid and vile music to offend and yet they offend sooo easily to anyone not cowering to their behavior.

It's about poking-a-nail-in-the-eye of others. They live low, outside of any standards of hospitable living and want everyone else to share in that. How dare you 'challenge' is the prevailing mind-phych. I'd not want to live in that kind of setting.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-13 at 10:29 AM.

Yes some would say 'oh it's just a little music - mind your business'... Hah. You'd have to have experienced that kind of lifestyle full-on, full strength to KNOW how truly hard it is to co-exist with it. IMO there are some sets of underground and not so underground style of music that's mind and soul numbing relative to lyric and sound.

Two or three days of that stuff non-stop and the behavior it brings... With no care for anyone else's need to sleep or desire not to hear the offensive caste of that music. Oh you INDEED have a mess... and I love and enjoy a great deal of music but I don't force 'my' music on others.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A few weeks back I was complaining about squatters and their offensive music. I am not brave but made sure the crap stopped by contacting police and other neighbors and collectively we got that stopped.

I am sorry to hear a person lost their life by expecting others to respect their neighbors.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-13 at 10:30 AM.

What a horrible tragic story. A person from the community that matters is lost.

The real dangerous criminals like this that take lives should be the ones that end up in the private prison industry...where they will be forced to work every single day of their lives to pay back their debts to society.

It's ok though. We'll all get together here on a thread..... commiserate in unison, discuss crime and punishment, feel better and wait for our next opportunity to do it again.

The redundancy of this societal fail is disgusting.

Hey Crumbled..... I don't usually poke at extra-opinionated posters, but your complacency is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I don't usually poke at extra-opinionated posters, but your complacency is sad.
    What complacency? Please expound.

It's stories like this that are causing Detroit neighborhoods to empty out.

I don't know how we stop this...

It would be interesting to get the Detroit police department back to an efficient way of operating and then have some kind of crime bailout from the state or feds that would put police patrols on steroids [[doubling or tripling the number of officers on the street) for a minimum of five years. Get all the scum caught and off the streets.

^^^ I have seen streets where once a 'tipping' point is reached the rank and file and middle-class folk who seek at minimal a moderately functional lifestyle to come and go will leave if they can. Then you have solid blocks taken over by all kinds of carrying on.

Your know then you're in the 'odd' minority to complain. Camera phone photos of you will be taken if it gets ugly before police called, if ever - if they come. Who is going to invest to live in that?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-04-13 at 04:31 PM.

The time may be coming when the only remaining option is for all the decent, non criminals to leave the city and wait for the thugs to kill themselves off. Then, the city can be reclaimed and rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxCady View Post
    The time may be coming when the only remaining option is for all the decent, non criminals to leave the city and wait for the thugs to kill themselves off. Then, the city can be reclaimed and rebuilt.
    So basically, the city has to die before it comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Communication is key, but more importantly was the respect [[and common sense) you showed. Sadly, treating people with respect isn't as prevalent as it used to be.
    I always thought that if you wanted respect, you had to act respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So basically, the city has to die before it comes back?
    When the city is "dead" the scum will still be there. We must remove the infection to stop it from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    When the city is "dead" the scum will still be there. We must remove the infection to stop it from spreading.
    But that's the thing, no one has the cure for the infection. We've simply been shuffling the deck of chairs around. Until recently, everyone's been fleeing to the suburbs to get away from the contagious infection in the city, and now that the infection is spreading to the suburbs, everyone's moving back to the city. In the midst of all of this shuffling of course, the infection itself has not been addressed.

Heritage Place intersects Grand River. Used to be called Dunbar. Trashed in the Riot

In a better place and time, the police would have informed the gentleman that his music was too loud and advise that if they got another call, he would be ticketed. [[Yes, Detroit has an anti-noise ordinance - but good luck getting the cops to respond to that call.)

Barking rottweillers, obscene music, poorly maintained yards, etc etc, it's all part of the declining quality of life in Detroit. People with options [[i.e. working people) are forced to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Barking rottweillers, obscene music, poorly maintained yards, etc etc, it's all part of the declining quality of life in Detroit. People with options [[i.e. working people) are forced to leave.
    I.e. taxpaying people

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast