Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pacino to Play Dr. Jack

http://www.wxyz.com/content/news/mov...LQoyBqJbg.cspx

[[WXYZ) - Al Pacino has signed on to play Dr. Jack Kevorkian in a movie called "You Don't Know Jack."

The movie, which is being produced by HBO, will air sometime in 2010. Production has yet to begin. It is being helmed by Steve Jones, who is also making a documentary about Kevorkian's failed run for Congress in 2008.

Kevorkian would not comment for an ABCNews.com story on the production. His lawyer, Southfield attorney Mayer Morganroth, tells ABC "I think it will be realistic. It won't be scathing and critical." Morganroth may be played by Dustin Hoffman or Richard Dreyfuss.

One of Kevorkian's other attorneys, Geoffrey Fieger, is a consultant on the movie. He calls it "a masterpiece and a tour de force." Fieger served as Kevorkian's attorney during the height of the controversy surrounding the retired pathologist.

This isn't the first brush with entertainment for the man known as "Dr. Death." He has been referenced in shows like the "Simpsons" and "Grey's Anatomy." However the project, which has been five years in the making, may be the most controversial.

Assistant Suicide advocates say they're worried it may glorify a man they believe may have done more to hurt their movement than to help it. Kevorkian first came to prominence when he assisted in the death of Janet Adkins. Since then he has been a polarizing figure in the debate over assisted suicide.

In fact, some supporters say that while 3 states, Oregon, Washington and Montana, have legalized the practice, the regulations put into place surrounding the practice are a direct result of Kevorkian and his belief in "death on demand."
    Dude got a raw deal. The President should issue a full pardon and exoneration and chastise those that persecuted him.

With Pacino and Hoffman or Dreyfuss, this should get some powerful airplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Dude got a raw deal. The President should issue a full pardon and exoneration and chastise those that persecuted him.

Meddle - I agree with you on this 100%.

And with those guys in the movie it should get powerful airplay. I look forward to watching.

I hope Dr. Jack lives to see the movie's release, and that it does him justice. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Interesting to have both Morganroth and Feiger involved. I don't think they get along anymore and I imagine they'll both have strong views on how they should be portrayed.

Maybe Al can garner himself an Emmy nomination.

"Dude got a raw deal. The President should issue a full pardon and exoneration and chastise those that persecuted him."

Amen. Talk about shooting the messenger.

I met Dr. Jack while in front of the Royal Oak library last year while he was campaigning for office. I had about a 20-minute conversation with him. I came away very impressed with his knowledge of the issues, his vitality, and his intelligence.

He got my vote.

Downtown diva Guest

the president should chastise?

full pardon and exoneration?

are you kidding?

While I agree with assisted suicide, i think our president has better things to do then to chastise a prosecuting attorney for attempting [[and succeeding) to uphold a law. Dont like the law, have it changed....

Not kidding at all. He should also be appointed to a Presidential Commission on Death and Dying with Dignity. I would also have the Justice Department look into the conspiracy against him.

Remember when Jack tried to harvest organs in the back of a van with an ice bucket ?

There must be some confusion here. Pacino's acting needs Dr. Jack lately.

One has-been playing another has-been. Jack lost my respect after dumping a body off in Beaumont Hospital parking lot.
    Al's been milking his rep for years. Pretty bad when you need to play Dr. Death to revive your career.

Who should/will play Fieger?

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    I could see Keifer Sutherland in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    Since Fieger is such a camera whore, he would probably volunteer to play himself...for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    I could see Keifer Sutherland in that role.
    He's too tiny. Maybe Tim Robbins?

Unless the President becomes governor of Michigan, he doesn't have the power to pardon Kevorkian.