Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anti-Hipster Graffiti a sign of widening divide in Detroit neighborhood

Grant Mitchenall isn’t sure if he’s a hipster, though he probably qualifies. He’s also not sure why someone in southwest Detroit would want him to go home, or where that home would be.

Whoever painted anti-hipster graffiti on at least four buildings in the area over the weekend didn’t provide a lot of detail. But in what appears to be a locals-vs.-hipsters turf war, this could be just the tip of the spray can.

“Respect Our Roots,” read one advisory, in orange, on the side of a defunct party store at Bagley and 18th Street. “Stop Gentrification in Detroit,” said another, in black. “This Is Southwest Go Home,” declared a third, in red. There was a fairly standard Spanish vulgarity — a bit of local color in a heavily Latino district — and then there was “HIPSTER,” in red, circled, with a slash through it.

You don’t want to read too much into scribblings on a few walls, of course. It could all just be the product of three or four people and one or two six-packs.
    Where there are newcomers, though, there is often resentment. There are unfamiliar faces and different cultures and higher rents. And in Midtown and Mexicantown and Corktown and its fringes, where Mitchenall lives, there are suddenly lots of twentysomethings with piercings and tattoos.

“If anything, we’re helping,” he said. He’s 25, a waiter at the Mercury Burger Bar on Michigan Avenue near the train station, and he has the requisite nose hoops and ear studs of the wave of newcomers who have brought life and jaunty hats to sectors of the city.

He also has a sense of purpose. Having fled Shelby Township for downtown six years ago, “I feel like we’re the ones leading the renovations and getting things done.”

But not everyone wants progress, or at least not progress that looks like change. In the 1980s, residents near Wayne State groused about the influx of gays. Corktown didn’t like yuppies. Everybody wants Detroit to bounce back, but not at the expense of their property taxes.

Candidate Jean Vortkamp, a self-described community volunteer, railed at length at a mayoral forum Tuesday night about gentrification. Non-gentrification, on the other hand, hasn’t worked all that well in a city that hundreds of thousands of people have sprinted to escape.

Ok, I'm a 20 something white guy who moved to Detroit in the last two years, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster. No piercings, no tattoos, my bike has gears on it.

But the thing this guy is missing isn't that people resent him moving in, or the way he looks. They resent the attitude that leads him to say "we're helping, we're the only ones working to make this place better." That's pretty offensive to the people who have lived there their entire lives, who work everyday to make a place better.

To me the sentiments behind the graffiti are less about the hipsters/newcomers themselves, but about the "Detroit is a blank canvas" vs. the fact that people actually live here.

You just know it was hipsters who wrote the graffitti.

First, SW Detroit, overall isn't gentrifying, it's decaying. They're still ripping down apartment buildings for vacant lots. Two restaurants on Michigan Ave. don't exactly change this. And the SW white population is plummeting per the Census.

Second, the Mexicans generally don't live where the hipsters live. Mexicans are generally not around Corktown these days. They're to the far SW, around Springwells. Even the Vernor Mexican strip around Dulys and Holy Redeemer is way less Mexican [[and way less populated) than a few years ago.

And third, Mexicans are heavily homeowners, and generally trying to get the hell out. I bet you they would LOVE for hipsters to come in buy their tiny cheek-by-jowl workingman bungalows and two-plexes, so they could move out to Northville or wherever the hell.

When I was a kid I would listen to my Hungarian grandparents complaining about how blacks moved into there southwest neighborhood and it went to hell. Years later it turned Mexican now it's going hipster

There are many foundations and corporations working in and investing in SWDetroit, too - and they are often resented. It's so childish, uneducated and stupid, because change cannot be stopped. Change keeps coming in a city over decades and generations and centuries. Many of the change elements that seem to be resented are, patently, great. Why the resentment? Why the preaching? Isn't there PLENTY of room for everyone, plenty of empty housing? Plenty of abandoned storefronts? Are we crowded over here?

Like most of Detroiters over here, I came from somewhere else. Lot's of SW Detroiters are only 1-2 generations from the South. Others are only 1-2 generations from Mexico. As anyone can observe, there are few Poles, few Irish [[the originals) left here. Everyone else is pretty short-term themselves.
    And , by the way, over 30 years I haven't seen a boatload of people "making it better." most people just tread water.

Another observation: the attitude that outsiders are making too many changes [[Rashida Tlaib battles the outsider label constantly!) is the platform of Benny Napolean and, closer to home, Ellen Herrada.
    Last edited by SWMAP; August-01-13 at 08:49 AM.

I always hate when people [[especially the media...which should know better) take the action of as little as one person & act as if it reflects sentiments in a wider area.

I honestly don't think anyplace outside of downtown/midtown are even at a noticeable "hipster" level...and even in this core area, it seems to be in it's infancy.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Ok, I'm a 20 something white guy who moved to Detroit in the last two years, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster. No piercings, no tattoos, my bike has gears on it.

But the thing this guy is missing isn't that people resent him moving in, or the way he looks. They resent the attitude that leads him to say "we're helping, we're the only ones working to make this place better." That's pretty offensive to the people who have lived there their entire lives, who work everyday to make a place better.

To me the sentiments behind the graffiti are less about the hipsters/newcomers themselves, but about the "Detroit is a blank canvas" vs. the fact that people actually live here.
    Excellent post.

That article was highly anecdotal. Even Rubin admits, "You don’t want to read too much into scribblings on a few walls, of course. It could all just be the product of three or four people and one or two six-packs."

He probably should have stopped there but decided to run with a version of the Dead Rabbits vs. the Natives ala the Gangs of NY.

Until I see a protest parade with anti-hipster signs this is nothing more than a successful graffiti attack = we are talking about it and spreading the images.

The real dynamic is between those who care and are involved in Detroit's betterment, however clumsy or awkward, and those who aren't.

Those who defaced the buildings of SW are from the latter faction. They are destroyers and cowards who fear entering the public space to sell their 'ideas'.

Nothing that hasn't happened in the past.
    "Eat The Rich" was tagged on L'Espirit late 70's
    L'Espirit was an exclusive club stated downtown, similar to Studio 54. A partner in that short lived venture was Kathleen DuRoss, she became Henry Ford IIs 3rd wife/widow.

We're her, we've been here and while we like to see the new arrivals, with or without tats and studs, something has to be said about the out and out vandalism that is being called graffiti. Used to be they didn't target occupied buildings, now it just doesn't matter. The new arrivals signal that Detroit and
    my neighborhood are alive and are progressing. The vandals however, need to leave and take their spray cans and fire extinguishers with them. I don't find any of it "art" anymore, it just gives the impression that it's okay to deface property.

I grew up on the Eastside od Detroit in the 60s and 70s. The only graffiti I had seen were on the side of old abandoned buildings usually facing the alleys. Storefronts, whether occupied or empty weren't defaced with graffiti. Most of these taggers are below the age of 30 and are not married with children. They would not want graffiti on there neighborhood if they were raising a family in the community. Detroit is a playground in their young immature minds.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post

This is fantastic!! Wonderful post&insight. Very well said young man!!

Lots of graff people hate hipsters. See them as pretentious fashionistas. There's a roller in the Market that reads "Fuck hipsters" & it's been around for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Lots of graff people hate hipsters. See them as pretentious fashionistas. There's a roller in the Market that reads "Fuck hipsters" & it's been around for at least a year.
    And $20 says the tagger was a hipster. Mexicans in SW aren't thinking about hipsters. For the most part, they have no idea what the term even means, IMO.

^^That's funny, I thought the same thing.

Most SW folks I've spoken with tend to skip the specifics and go for generalities: "The white people that live down there..."" Indie? Oh that's some white people shit," etc.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-01-13 at 10:50 PM.

This thread is a bit confusing. Most if not all communities in Detroit welcome new blood. In our community we have young folk even from other countries that have moved in. Tats/piercing who cares if they are good neighbors.

Whats with trashing Ellen Herrada. I know the family, mom Irish, dad mexican, sister retired detroit police and sadly her brother and was one of my best friends in high school and after is deceased.

There been some anti-black activity in Detroit for over 100 years:

1. In 1925 Dr. Ossian Sweet and his family brought a home on the corner of Garland and Charlevoix St. in Detroit's East Side. White folks quickly surrounded the home. Dr Sweet's brother Henry pulled out a shotgun and shot a white neighbor who was sitting at his front porch enjoying the lynch mob show. The Sweets was arrested. After the trial The Sweets were allowed back home.

2. In the late 1940s McGhee family brought a home on Detroit's West Side near Tireman and Beechwood St. on the predominately white area. The Pherisons who were living next door don't want a black family living next to them. After a trial the McGhees remain in their home.

Hipsters love to live in any gentrified or post-ghetto communities. SW Detroit, midtown is one of those hot spots. It's going to take more than anti-hipster graffiti to kick them out. Let them come, even into the black ghettos. They just want to live in peace and brighten up the once blighted areas. Detroit belongs to all people, not just white folks or black folks. Detroit is where the action is where and the suburbs gets too boring.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

for Neda, Trayvon Martin, George Stinney, Guy Fawkes, the 99 Percenters and Rodney King.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Most "graff artists" are hipsters. Go to any opening and you will see a ton of hipsters.

Herrada is very worried about new people moving into Corktown. She is quite vocal that SW Detroit should be represented, for instance, in the Michigan Legislature by only a Hispanic. She is vocal against Rashida Tlaib, who she sees as an outsider.
    She was opposed to Steve Tobocman before Rashida. I have lived on this side of town [[although I did grow up near Denby myself) for more than 30 years and I know her.

She was born Ellen but now affects "Elena."

are there any local community organizations, block clubs, houses of worship, etc., that can sponsor some type of ongoing "get together" forum where the "new" folks and the "established" folks can come together for socialization and dialogue?

What does it matter as long as you're contributing to the neighborhood and have a good attitude? Keeping stuff clean, not littering, fixing up your house, helping your neighbors... as long as you do that stuff, whats the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Herrada is very worried about new people moving into Corktown. She is quite vocal that SW Detroit should be represented, for instance, in the Michigan Legislature by only a Hispanic. She is vocal against Rashida Tlaib, who she sees as an outsider.
    She was opposed to Steve Tobocman before Rashida. I have lived on this side of town [[although I did grow up near Denby myself) for more than 30 years and I know her.

Herrada's act does look a little shaky. I think it shows the limits of what ethnic bloc voting can accomplish; you get opportunistic people like Herrada who feel entitled to the big jobs because she's a "Latina" when a Jew or a Muslim does the job just fine thankyouverymuch. I've consistently felt that Tobocman and Tlaib have been tough fighters for their constituents, but I'm not so sure about Herrada ... Maybe somebody can set me straight if my suspicions are misplaced.

Well she won't be getting my vote. [[like I'm sure she cares) I don't care for that kind of segregationist\ethnic attitude. If someone is screwing up on the job, [[eg. Robert Ficano), then by all means out they go. Trying to get rid of someone because they're the wrong skin color is plain wrong. Minority or not.

Just to be professional: what I said about Herrada appears anecdotal. Here is a report from a local journalist, Martina Guzman, on this subject. Guzman wrote it in 2008 when Tlaib was first running for office:
    http://fi2w.org/2008/08/05/cross-cul...n-legislature/
    “Although Tlaib has inspired a faithful following, not everyone in the Latino stronghold is excited about the young Palestinian attorney running for office. Local resident and community activist, Elena Herrada says the district is predominantly Mexican, and a Latina like former State Representative Belda Garza should hold that seat. Garza was the first Latina elected to the Michigan legislature in 1998 and served two terms before losing to current State Representative Steve Tobocman in 2002.”
    This still sounds as if Herrada was/is mild on the subject, but she is not. She hasn’t changed her mind and her [[small) following always starts in on this.

Just to be professional: what I said about Herrada appears anecdotal. Here is a report from a local journalist, Martina Guzman, on this subject. Guzman wrote it in 2008 when Tlaib was first running for office:
    http://fi2w.org/2008/08/05/cross-cul...n-legislature/
    “Although Tlaib has inspired a faithful following, not everyone in the Latino stronghold is excited about the young Palestinian attorney running for office. Local resident and community activist, Elena Herrada says the district is predominantly Mexican, and a Latina like former State Representative Belda Garza should hold that seat. Garza was the first Latina elected to the Michigan legislature in 1998 and served two terms before losing to current State Representative Steve Tobocman in 2002.”
    This still sounds as if Herrada was/is mild on the subject, but she is not. She hasn’t changed her mind and her [[small) following always starts in on this.
    I was @ lunch @ Evie's the other day, and there was a group of Latino people there too. Their conversation turned to the Detroit Mayoral election, and they were passionately expressing they're support for Mike Duggan. I was just a fly on the wall. It isn't everyone. I personally think there's enough divisiveness in Detroit already.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    What does it matter as long as you're contributing to the neighborhood and have a good attitude? Keeping stuff clean, not littering, fixing up your house, helping your neighbors... as long as you do that stuff, whats the big deal?
    Tribal thinking is a natural human weakness. We do best for ourselves and our tribe when we trade and share with others.

Anti-gentrification is tribalism. Fighting against good from the outside is folly. Instead of fighting gentrification, communities would be helped more by learning how to profit from gentrification. We should all want our tribes to become the gentry. American gentry is bred, not born -- well mostly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast