Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bucolic countryside scene. Not.

Pretty countryside, eh?

Well, it's actually the northwest corner of Grand River and Canfield. Go figure.

Like many on this site, I like to roam the semi-abandoned streets of Detroit on Google. We constantly hear about the weed-infested, garbage strewn lots but I'm always amazed at how well kept most areas are. Who's maintaining all this land?

DPS is "maintaining" it I believe. The lot on the other side of Canfield is the site of the former Wilber Wright school.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    DPS is "maintaining" it I believe. The lot on the other side of Canfield is the site of the former Wilber Wright school.
    This is actually across the street from where Wilbur Wright was. In the streetview photo Wilbur Wright would be to the right.

I witnessed whole crews cleaning up along 14th St. from MLK to the expressway. They weren't the Penski crew, couldn't make out the name on the vans that carried the lawn mowers etc. I'm not sure who is responsible but I am very grateful.

A paper has just reported that ever since Ray1936 posted a photo of a Detroit intersection that resembled a rural intersection, people have been flocking there to have their self-photos taken there.

Name:  ruraldetroitphotoshoot.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  44.4 KB

Actually, that report was fake.

Red Green!

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    This is actually across the street from where Wilbur Wright was. In the streetview photo Wilbur Wright would be to the right.
    Yep, that's what I said.

My neighborhood is rather bucolic. The neighbors maintain it with some minimal outside help.I am buying a porch swing soon.

Are goats legal, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Like many on this site, I like to roam the semi-abandoned streets of Detroit on Google. We constantly hear about the weed-infested, garbage strewn lots but I'm always amazed at how well kept most areas are. Who's maintaining all this land?
    The honest truth, neighbors. We work hard to sustain what we have. I just wish every area has what we have. Essentially we are a poor community but we have pride and self respect. I can't say enough good things about my neighbors.

My shades are open, my door unlocked, it is 11pm. That is how cool my Detroit neighborhood is. When I go to bed I'll lock the door but if I forget, no worries

C'mon Ray, honestly now, what would have been the reaction back in the day if you had uttered the word 'bucolic' among your fellow cops at the precinct station?? Or written in a report something like, "The suspect was last seen fleeing into a bucolic setting with the TV set."?

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    I witnessed whole crews cleaning up along 14th St. from MLK to the expressway. They weren't the Penski crew, couldn't make out the name on the vans that carried the lawn mowers etc. I'm not sure who is responsible but I am very grateful.
    might have been 313detroit an org that has been very helpful in the city.

^^^ An organization called Arise Detroit I think hosted a major clean up this weekend. Perhaps it was them?

Are they selling 5-10 acre country lots? How much an acre?

As opposed to only detritus and ruin, in many areas, the depopulation and destruction of housing in the city has also created a quasi-rural landscape.

There are innumerable corners, lots and pockets of the city that are lovely, wild and green - and yes, even bucolic.

There is an irony in this; those who came from the rural south [[Black and White) were met with an uncommon density of houses and buildings; today, many places in the city are much like the rural areas that many left behind, so long ago. The city turned into the country.

Believe it or not, some of these areas are quiet, peaceful. Crack cocaine slashed its way through some of these communities and did its nasty, destructive business years ago. The dealers who cut a swath of terror and chaos through these kind of neighborhoods are dead, in jail, or broken down, young old men, trying to keep from going back to prison, laying low.

Someone asked me today what I thought was the future of the city. Among other things, I said that the real beauty of Detroit is going to be revealed in many ways; unfettered by the industrial maw that supported, yet also devoured, past generations and their communities.

I don't know when or how, but I believe this.

This is a pic of a house on St. Aubin, on the East Side.

Name:  bucolic house.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  29.3 KB

Get rid of the power lines and it could be Holmes County

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    C'mon Ray, honestly now, what would have been the reaction back in the day if you had uttered the word 'bucolic' among your fellow cops at the precinct station?? Or written in a report something like, "The suspect was last seen fleeing into a bucolic setting with the TV set."?
    Why, they'd have been puzzled, of course. There were no TV sets back then. The quote might have been "The suspect was last seen fleeing into a bucolic setting with the mahogany Zenith radio."

From Ray's photo to Marsha's, it's hard for me to imagine, not being there other than a few times since the late 60's and early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My neighborhood is rather bucolic. The neighbors maintain it with some minimal outside help.I am buying a porch swing soon.

Are goats legal, I want one.
    Even if Goats weren't legal, I'm pretty sure you can get away with owning them and having them in your yard in a city like Detroit, where the police BARELY even respond to burglaries.

There are streets in Highland Park where you would swear you were in the Deep South. [[I'm thinking of streets roughly around the old waterwork dept.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Even if Goats weren't legal, I'm pretty sure you can get away with owning them and having them in your yard in a city like Detroit, where the police BARELY even respond to burglaries.
    I only want one. Cub had one and feral dogs got to it. My yard is very large and has 8/10 ft privacy fences with cyclone fences that are 5 ft as back up. A huge dog run too.

Of course I could get away with it. I could probably have a flock of sheep and chickens. I wouldn't do that. My neighborhood is bucolic but we are not farmers.

Please do not disparage police. They respond quickly for life threatening things. My area is very quiet but the other night we heard gun shots, my husband said fire crackers, I said no way, gun shots.

Made phone calls to neighbors, that shit just doesn't happen around here. I know what transpired and several police units responded, quickly. Fortunately no one was was hurt and they were not of our hood. That stuff totally creeps me.

On the very few occasions, we needed police or ems the response was suburb.

Sorry folks, I am a pretty happy Detroiter . Could things improve, of course. Mostly things for our youth!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Why, they'd have been puzzled, of course. There were no TV sets back then. The quote might have been "The suspect was last seen fleeing into a bucolic setting with the mahogany Zenith radio."
    In what percentage of your colleagues would their vocabulary even have included the word "bucolic"?

Marsha your vision is lovely. Detroit has changed and we with it.

Funny, my inner city church has a pastor who is a retired doctor, anesthesiologist, ex state representative, board member of multiple non profits,

Hear those big words all the time. Most not all neighbors are well educated and we do know how to spell with 2 ggs.

My niece, an officer has a BA and other degrees.