Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 10 Detroit Facts You Should Know about Detroit

Retroit Guest

That first picture is interesting. I wonder if that is Woodward between 6 & 7 Mile. It looks like it has a bend in it, but Woodward doesn't bend till 10 Mile, right? So this would be a view southbound from just north of 10 Mile? Or is the bend merely an optical photographic illusion? The picture must have been taken from a tall building. The [[previous) water tower at the Detroit Zoo? I wonder if those houses are still standing?

The picture depicts the first paved section, so between 6 and 7 Mile, where it goes by Palmer Park. The road has been substantially widened over the years from four lanes to eight, so any slight bends could have been straightened in that process.

It looks like there is a parellel road way to the east in the picture. It's hard to tell where those houses would be in the current configuration, but there is a still a house on the corner of Goldengate and Woodward, that is now a combination vegan cafe and chiropractors office.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; July-12-09 at 08:14 AM.

That first picture is interesting. I wonder if that is Woodward between 6 & 7 Mile. It looks like it has a bend in it...
    Good eye. I would guess that was someting that got ironed out in a later widening. There is a slight crick just above McNichols / 6 Mile -- also one between Garfield and Canfield BTW -- but that would have to be south of that photo.

However the line in the post that says, By 1942, the world’s first urban freeway opened to the public, the Davison Freeway, may need to be changed to read first in the US. The German Autobahn which opened its first section was highly evolved by 1942.
    Last edited by Lowell; July-13-09 at 08:14 AM.

I suspect the "urban" is important.

Downtown diva Guest

old tires are not a replacement for sewer grates

Retroit Guest

Yes, Lowell, that bend I see and the slight crick you mentioned is probably where the southbound lane of Woodward now curves to form the median that starts north of McNichols. So the picture is probably taken from the apartment building one block north of McNichols, looking south [[SSE) with shadows cast by an evening sun. I don't think any of the houses are still standing, although off in the distance, that may be the gable and steeple of the church 2 blocks south of McNichols.