Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Old Redford

Default Old Redford

How's the neighborhood these days? The redford theatre seems to be doing well.

The neighborhood is doing very well, compared to many other commercial districts in the city. John George's "Motor City Blight Busters" has done so much good work in the area, and has been a major force in stabilizing the housing in the immediate area. Several businesses are thriving there, the Sweet Potato sensation bakery, the coffee house and artist's village, the pharmacy [[new owners, continuing the business) Paul's barber shop--to name a few.
    We have been having the best year at the theatre since the early 80s, and just re-opend the theatre after a brief shut down to replace the balcony seating with brand new 1928 style seats and new carpeting throughout the building. Come down to the neighborhood, take in a show, get a haircut, buy some baked goods and coffee and see for yourself.

The neighborhood enclosed by the golf course, Lahser, Burg and Grand River is well kept. My father lived in the Bentler Arms co op till 2008 and got his hair cut at Paul's. Sadly, he passed in 2011 due to dementia. The area around Pickford and Bentler is not so good, but that is getting away from Old Redford. Besides the theatre, another building on Lahser that remains the same from my childhood is the Silent Assembly of God.

When the missus and I head out for a night at the movies, the Old Redford Theatre is almost always our destination.

First, you just can't beat the $4 to $5 ticket price. Compound it with the very reasonable concession prices, classic films, the organ recital before, and the awesome setting...well...if you've not been there, you're missing out.

It's a special place.

Definitely going to swing by with the girl sometime after she gets back from Cali. I've been VERY intrigued by the Theater and can't wait to experience it!

Blight Busters also helped out with Detroit Tire, and it looks like it's doing well. They also rehabbed and re-opened that old Masonic Temple as a community center. There is definitely some good things going on in that neighborhood.