Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "This Old House" to film at the Georgia Street Garden!

Cub, Mama Cub and Blue met with a man from the TV show "This Old House" and two women from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority today at the Garden. After some discussion, they decided to do some filming at the Garden on July 23rd!

Their basic story is going to be about positive things that are going on in the Detroit area. We are so very excited that they chose to feature Georgia Street Garden!

Friends of the Garden are welcome to join us for a "Clean Up the Garden" day on Saturday, July 18th from Noon to 4pm. We want to make sure that we put on our best "face" for the filming.

The crew would also like to see folks working or taking part in activities in the Garden on the 23rd. We are not sure of the time right now, but will keep you updated in case you would like to be there for this very special occassion.

Also, we are not sure when this show will air, but again we will keep you informed, or you can check with our website www.georgiastreetcc.com for updates.

Wow,Thats great to hear...I'll try to get down for the clean up.Dave

LodgeDodger Guest

That IS fantastic news! When they begin to film the "Georgia Street" movie, who do we think will play, Cub?!?

I'm sorry I can't make it to the clean-up, but I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

*hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    That IS fantastic news! When they begin to film the "Georgia Street" movie, who do we think will play, Cub?!?
    Why, Cub of course!

Great news! Count me in for the 18th.

As normal can't really count me in, But you never know.

What wonderful news! It is so cool that the Garden is getting this kind of exposure. I was just thinking today about the TIME magazine article and how many people might have read Cub's comments. Now to be part of a great television program. My, how far Cub's dream has gone.

We can't commit to those dates as this is a busy time of year in our neck of the woods. Me and Mr. Erie wish you all the best! Attachment 2255
    Last edited by eriedearie; December-24-09 at 02:18 PM.

Sunday Morning Bump...just before we leave for the Civil War Days at Fort Wayne!

Sunday Night Bump...had a great time at Fort Wayne!

Tuesday Morning Bump

DetroitDad Guest

Bump

Awesome news!

Will try very hard to be there for the clean up. We have a flat of herbs to donate. Things have been crazy for us with two close friends being very ill. Lots of running around trying to help them. We have had major computer problems and I have not been on line for several weeks so it was great seeing Georgia Street at the top of the list regarding posts. One big bright spot is that our friend in Islandview Village has a new neighbor and they are working hard to rehab the house next door. It is a beautiful old house and I am so grateful to see this young couple committed to our city and their rehab efforts. Another big bright spot has been that EEV is now getting curb side recyling. It is also great to hear that Detroit is finally getting some good Press. Hugs to all!!!!

Reminder Bump...anyone who would like to help out with the Clean-Up on Saturday from Noon to 4 is welcome to join us. Please bring some rakes and/or shovels. If we get the garden done, we may move into doing some work on the house as well, so hammers and such will be useful also.

Hope to see you this weekend!

God I wish I was as reliable in my free time as I am at work. I do need to get to alot of things including the GS garden.

First of all, let me say a great big THANK YOU to those who came out to help clean up the Garden on Saturday. We got so much accomplished with the help of the generous volunteers. The sidewalks look great! The raised beds and most of the garden furniture were painted in the blue, green and white colors of our logo. Garden beds were cleaned out of weeds. It was a very productive day!

Now, on to the bad news. Unfortunately, the producers of "This Old House" have determined that the Georgia Street Garden does not "fit in" with the story line they are following. Evidently, they want to show more about neighborhoods that were affected by foreclosures, which was not conveyed to us at the beginning. We were told they wanted to show more positive things that were happening around the City.

However, we still cleaned up the Garden because in early August we will be a stop on a tour of urban gardens in Detroit. More information about this will be posted on our website shortly.

Again, thanks to all the volunteers who came out to help. Pics will be posted on the website in a day or two.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Glad to hear that volunteers showed up to groom the gardens. We did manage to drop off the promised herbs but couldn't stay to help out. We are working hard in our off time to restore a friends' house/gardens in Islandview Village. We thought about you all as we trimmed trees, layed sod, applied mulch and more. We are doing this project a little at a time. As everyone knows, supplies are expensive. We decided we would invest a little each week and spread the cost out over a period of time. It is starting to look great too! As a Detroit resident, I love seeing any and all improvements in our community. Next year we will restore the kitchen garden and plant a row for Gleaners. Best wishes to all who volunteered. Georgia Street Gardens is so worthy of peoples efforts. Just wish we could do more!