Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Police Called to Whole Foods in Midtown

Well, it happened - police called to Whole Foods.

I was parking our car, and hubby and I realized that the police car that had driven into the lot before us had parked but had not moved, and the cops were obviously checking something out.

As we - and other onlookers - stopped to see what what happening, it was apparent that the police were examining an SUV and a woman [[a white female) was standing next to it, obviously distraught, apparently answering questions.

The police were looking in and out of the van, and we wondered if she had been robbed or the car vandalized - but there was no broken glass nearby, and the police didn't seem to be looking around for a suspect.

Oh my goodness.

After a moment it became apparent that there were babies in the car.

We were later told that an employee had seen the little ones in the car, alone, and reported it. She had not only left the babies in the SUV, but left the vehicle running as well.

The police seemed to be making a report and seemed to be asking this lady some hard questions, but we left before seeing what finally happened.

A possible tragedy in the making, but for the diligence of the Whole Foods folks, and the police.

All of us standing there were sheepish about how quickly we assumed that she was the victim.
    Last edited by marshamusic; July-30-13 at 08:01 AM.

At least, it's good to hear that the kids were OK.

Did you ask what the employee told the police to have them show up so quickly?

Deleted: The original post was modified and my comment no longer applies.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-30-13 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

"A white woman is having some kind of problem in Midtown!"

Marshamusic:

Was it the Wayne State Police?

No, I didn't ask, I just assumed that when I was told that the employee reported what she saw, she reported that she saw the little ones alone in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    Marshamusic:

Was it the Wayne State Police?
    I don't really know. Might have been.

I believe that Wayne State Public Safety has Whole Foods within its jurisdiction, though I can't be sure. But if it does, their response time is generally under 3-5 minutes. For Whole Foods, it's probably even less.

They must have been there for the organic free trade donuts.

Sort of a misleading thread...just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I believe that Wayne State Public Safety has Whole Foods within its jurisdiction, though I can't be sure. But if it does, their response time is generally under 3-5 minutes. For Whole Foods, it's probably even less.
    Wayne State's new medical school is directly across the street from Whole Foods, so I would imagine that's the WSU's jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    She, a white female, had not only left the babies in the SUV, but left the vehicle running as well.
    I guess a BA doesn't automatically guarantee common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I guess a BA doesn't automatically guarantee common sense.
    What makes you think she had a BA?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Sort of a misleading thread...just sayin'
    Why, illwill, is this thread misleading?

The title says that the police were called to Whole Foods, and that's what I described in my original post.

Did it take 58 minutes for them to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    Did it take 58 minutes for them to show up?
    WSUPD in Midtown has a 3-5 minute response rate. It was about 2 minutes for me when I called them because my house alarm went off.
    Last edited by TexasT; July-30-13 at 09:25 AM.

Well shoot, this is good news, we're on our way up when stuff like this is news!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Why, illwill, is this thread misleading?

The title says that the police were called to Whole Foods, and that's what I described in my original post.
    I agree with illwill.

I initially the thread would be about someone stealing from the Whole Foods.

As I understand WSU cops have jurisdiction in all of Detroit and are not just limited to the Corridor. If I am wrong I would like to know.

I know they seem to do good work, but I kind of think WSU cops shouldn't have any jurisdiction...other that at WSU...

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I know they seem to do good work, but I kind of think WSU cops shouldn't have any jurisdiction...other that at WSU...

For what it's worth:

"All officers are sworn Peace Officers commissioned under State law and each officer has also been commissioned as a Detroit Police Officer. "

http://police.wayne.edu/

I am actually glad that someone called the police. While this may seem like a minor incident, there are regularly cases in which infants die because they are left in hot cars in the summer. In this case, the engine was left running and the air conditioning was probably on, but that is still quite negligent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Why not? They patrol areas that their students live in, and areas that are in their best interest to police. My sister goes to CMU, and often times the cops are around the off campus housing to try and stop underage drinking. If the WSU cops are in Woodbridge stopping car breakins or something such as that, what is the difference? Its in Wayne State's best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    As I understand WSU cops have jurisdiction in all of Detroit and are not just limited to the Corridor. If I am wrong I would like to know.
    Even if that were true, they clearly don't have the resources to patrol outside of WSU's campus.

Besides that, what benefit would it have to them doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I agree with illwill.

I initially the thread would be about someone stealing from the Whole Foods.
    Interesting. My first thought was "I wonder what happened?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast