Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Free Press endorses Mike Dugeon... I mean... Mike Duggan for mayor

Why so late? many people already mailed their absentee ballots back in.

You could see it coming, because he's the only candidate who has done anything real -- as far as I can tell.

Can anyone cite other candidates who have accomplished anything of note.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    You could see it coming, because he's the only candidate who has done anything real -- as far as I can tell.

*crickets*

I am a big Duggan supporter but was concerned regarding my district.I did due diligence regarding my future vote. Got my lawn sign and wear my Duggan for Detroit button daily.

Was a bit surprised to see the Free Press supporting my choices. Hollier and White are both superb choices. Sucks, but I think I will toss a coin on that one. Both worthy!

Benny once...um...

Well, Tom Barrow...wait...um...

Crittendon had the balls to...wait, she's a woman...and, um...hmmm...

Is Geoffrey Feiger finally running? No? Oh, um...

Well, back to Benny...um...hmmm...he once balanced a budget in the 1990s!

When Dennis Archer became mayor, he hadn't run anything before either.

When Dave Bing became mayor [[endorsed by the newspapers) his business was failing. Certain people knew it and the newspapers knew it as well. They didn't publish anything about it until after the election.

Saving the best for last: When Kwame Kilpatrick became mayor he hadn't run anything before. The newspapers both endorsed him, both times. So did the same business people who are endorsing Duggan. They propped Kilpatrick up, swore to Detroiters that there was no one better than him to run in his second election, gave him a ton of money in the last weeks of that election to pull victory out of his opponent's hand and then paid him to leave town when he just couldn't hide his sins any longer.

People need to just think for themselves. Go with intelligence, wisdom and integrity, it will outweigh experience in the mayor's office.

Archer had been a partner in a pretty big law firm [[Charfoos, Gilbert, Christian & Archer, P. C.) with alarge staff. He had been elected to the Michigan supreme Court.

Bing ran a big business. i guess there were some good years and bad years. Ford and GM had good years and bad years too. Its the nature of business.

I am voting for Duggan. I had a lawn sign but it was stolen last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    When Dennis Archer became mayor, he hadn't run anything before either.

When Dave Bing became mayor [[endorsed by the newspapers) his business was failing. Certain people knew it and the newspapers knew it as well. They didn't publish anything about it until after the election.

Saving the best for last: When Kwame Kilpatrick became mayor he hadn't run anything before. The newspapers both endorsed him, both times. So did the same business people who are endorsing Duggan. They propped Kilpatrick up, swore to Detroiters that there was no one better than him to run in his second election, gave him a ton of money in the last weeks of that election to pull victory out of his opponent's hand and then paid him to leave town when he just couldn't hide his sins any longer.

People need to just think for themselves. Go with intelligence, wisdom and integrity, it will outweigh experience in the mayor's office.
    What are you smoking? When Kwame ran a second time, the Freep and News endorsed Hendrix.

The first time around he actually looked somewhat promising, and who were we going to vote for, GIL HILL?

"The first time around he actually looked somewhat promising, and who were we going to vote for ........"

I have heard this statement in some form or another every election year in Detroit even whether it be for governor, legislator, mayor, councilman.

I stand corrected. The newspapers only endorsed KK the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    "The first time around he actually looked somewhat promising, and who were we going to vote for ........"

I have heard this statement in some form or another every election year in Detroit even whether it be for governor, legislator, mayor, councilman.
    Replace "Detroit" with "the United States" and it still applies. That's kind of just how our democracy works. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternative.

...you're suggesting, then, that I write in corktownyuppie for mayor?

Because based on your criteria, it sounds like there's not a single soul in this race that deserves our vote. Or am I misinterpreting?

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post

Because based on your criteria, it sounds like there's not a single soul in this race that deserves our vote. Or am I misinterpreting?
    Of course there is no perfect candidate so I guess to a certain degree you are voting for the lesser of two evils [[maybe not that bad). But look at Benny for example the way he's handled his tenure as DPD police chief it has not been good, he has danced around the issue and even called the reporter a liar during the debate. I would have felt better if he was more forthright and explained everything even if it wasn't all good. As voters we need to somehow develop some metrics by which we can give the person a grade especially in the area of transparency. Or maybe a website that reviews mayoral actions and is updated on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Of course there is no perfect candidate so I guess to a certain degree you are voting for the lesser of two evils [[maybe not that bad).
    Oh, I agree with this for sure. However, it's seemingly apparent that the gap between the leading candidate [[the "least" of the evils) and the remainder of the pack is cavernous.

Or, at least, it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post

I'm oversimplifying it perhaps, but I'm just saying I place more value on a person's intelligence, wisdom and integrity than how much experience they've had running anything. I look for a mayor who is smart enough to know how to pick a good leadership team, and develop [[as firstandten said) some metrics to hold that leadership team accountable. I also want to be able to trust them and know they aren't fleecing the city.

I want a mayor who can see through bs, wherever it's being shoveled and won't be afraid to call it what it is. I want a thinker who can formulate ideas and plans or at least properly critique the ones being formulated by others. I want a mayor who demonstrates that he/she is quick on their feet - I have no confidence in slow thinkers.

I'm oversimplifying it perhaps, but I'm just saying I place more value on a person's intelligence, wisdom and integrity than how much experience they've had running anything. I look for a mayor who is smart enough to know how to pick a good leadership team, and develop [[as firstandten said) some metrics to hold that leadership team accountable. I also want to be able to trust them and know they aren't fleecing the city.

I want a mayor who can see through bs, wherever it's being shoveled and won't be afraid to call it what it is. I want a thinker who can formulate ideas and plans or at least properly critique the ones being formulated by others. I want a mayor who demonstrates that he/she is quick on their feet - I have no confidence in slow thinkers.
    I think some of those things go hand in hand, but I agree.

I often look at the caliber of organization the candidate comes from. Someone that was a senior partner at McKinsey probably has a far better understanding of how to run a project successfully than someone that has a $45k/year consulting business.

Absolutely spot on -- although experience is an awfully good demonstration that you can do what you say.

The problem is the Michigan voters in Detroit don't seem to have the same emphasis on quality. They hear pretty words about things that matter to them, and they believe. And they've been wrong.

How can voters know for whom to vote to get quality. Where is the League of Woman Voters for Detroit. Some group that doesn't try to put out political spin, but just facts. And why don't the 'black' churches lead here? I always wonder this. There are some great leaders at these churches. Why can't they nurture and support great civic leaders? I nominate them for this role.

Good post on quality.

Absolutely spot on -- although experience is an awfully good demonstration that you can do what you say.

The problem is the Michigan voters in Detroit don't seem to have the same emphasis on quality. They hear pretty words about things that matter to them, and they believe. And they've been wrong.

How can voters know for whom to vote to get quality. Where is the League of Woman Voters for Detroit. Some group that doesn't try to put out political spin, but just facts. And why don't the 'black' churches lead here? I always wonder this. There are some great leaders at these churches. Why can't they nurture and support great civic leaders? I nominate them for this role.

Good post on quality.
    I think Vince Keenan had this idea in mind when he created Publius -- at least in terms of creating a more informed voter.

I'm going to be helping out at a hackathon for the Pew Charitable Trust's Voter Information Project this weekend in NYC. I think that the utilization of tech can be a powerful tool in drowning out rhetoric for the sake of objective voting decisions.

I can't get this song out of my head lol!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSAmk7OUg0U

The latest poll has him in the lead
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...e142105191.txt