Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Midtown: Drug suspects used senior housing to deal narcotics

This kinda brings to mind that 'Carter Apartment' situation in the movie New Jack City...

From article:

Wayne County Undersheriff Daniel Pfannes says drug suspects intimidated residents and took over senior citizen apartments to sell narcotics. "A number of seniors had their apartments taken over by armed drug dealers who were forcing them to allow them to sell narcotics inside of their homes," said Pfannes.

Pfannes says agents were working to round up about 40 suspects at several locations, including those in the Orchestra Tower apartment building along Woodward Ave.

"This is the most vulnerable segment of our population," said Pfannes. "They need to be defended by law enforcement. We're here to make a difference in their life."
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-30-13 at 02:09 AM.

I am stunned at this one. Oh, maybe not, guess that is what happened to my 90 year old neighbor with her grandson. Difference? He hasnt been around in a month or so.........hopefully gone for good. It was a loooong couple of years for the houses near us and an even longer few years for the poor gramma but at least she had family and neighbors checking on her.

It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story on todays raids at Orchestra Towers. Were the lives of those seniors nearly destroyed by family members or by gangs that just took over?

so sad.

lily

Sad... I've always avoided walking past that building because of creepy men hanging around who would make suggestive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    Sad... I've always avoided walking past that building because of creepy men hanging around who would make suggestive comments.
    Would it be profiling if Police were allowed to stop people behaving suspiciously in such a location, and to frisk them for weapons?

http://www.city-journal.org/2013/23_1_war-on-crime.html

My grandmother used to lived in that building. Right next to proposed new Midtown Building for middle class folks and just across the street from the lofts and Whole Foods where middle class young professionals lived. ISN'T IT DISCUSSING! That area of M.L. King Bvld. [[Mack) and Woodward Ave. is not only reminds of New Jack City Carter Apts. But also Cabrini-Green projects. I'm glad law enforcement put a stop drug yahoos who tried to reclaim that area back to CRACKHEAD CORRIDOR! It would not look good for developers not only for the Midtown but also for the new Red Wings Arena just further down the street.

By the way my family got my grandmother out of there within a year. We just don't her to living next to drug dealers and crackheads!
    Last edited by Danny; July-30-13 at 08:18 AM.