Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unarmed teen shot inside homeowner's fenced yard -- not breaking into home

From article:

Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner, Merritt Landry, who works as a building inspector for the Historic District Landmarks Commission.

Police said the teen was near Landry's vehicle when he was shot about 2 a.m. Landry's friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor.
    According to an NOPD arrest warrant, Landry shot Coulter from 30 feet away, evidenced by the distance between the blood found on the ground and the single bullet casing outside Landry's house in the 700 block of Mandeville Street.

Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his vehicle. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...incart_m-rpt-2
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-28-13 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    From article:

Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner, Merritt Landry, who works as a building inspector for the Historic District Landmarks Commission.

Police said the teen was near Landry's vehicle when he was shot about 2 a.m. Landry's friends said the vehicle was in the driveway behind a gate just a few feet from the house's backdoor.
    According to an NOPD arrest warrant, Landry shot Coulter from 30 feet away, evidenced by the distance between the blood found on the ground and the single bullet casing outside Landry's house in the 700 block of Mandeville Street.

Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his vehicle. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...incart_m-rpt-2
    You're kidding right? The kid pulls into someone's driveway, [[read: not his) @ 2 a.m., by the back door. The article's a hoot! "He'll be your friend first", he just wants to B&E you residence, that's all...... Stupid home owner.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-29-13 at 01:09 AM.

Default Another one of those

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're kidding right? The kid pulls into someone's driveway, [[read: not his) @ 2 a.m., by the back door. The article's a hoot! "He'll be your friend first", he just wants to B&E you residence, that's all...... Stupid home owner.
    It's another Shoot First, ask questions second. Why can't people just say, hey you, what you doing?

However, the kid has a scary fb page:
    https://www.facebook.com/david.coulter.319

This is how he writes English:
    I never new love would feel like a harder tack. My trey voice n no I'm not thinkn bout no relationship
    Last edited by Chicago48; July-29-13 at 05:36 AM.

I'm betting that this will not be GZ part two. There are too many indicators to suggest the victim was up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    It's another Shoot First, ask questions second. Why can't people just say, hey you, what you doing?

However, the kid has a scary fb page:
    https://www.facebook.com/david.coulter.319

This is how he writes English:
    I never new love would feel like a harder tack. My trey voice n no I'm not thinkn bout no relationship
    Thanx for the link, I just friended him. I don't know man, it's 2 a.m., you're in bed, dead asleep, you hear a car idling, pull up, in you driveway, NEXT to your back door, someone milling around. I suppose I could walk out and ask "Hi, I'm Honky Tonk, may I help you?" and hope he's just lost and needs directions. I guess I'm amazed he'd even chance a stunt like that.

Here's an interesting article comparing that shooting with some Florida cops shooting an unarmed man in his own driveway.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/29/ci...a-deputies-sho

It'll be interesting to see who is charged and who isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Here's an interesting article comparing that shooting with some Florida cops shooting an unarmed man in his own driveway.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/29/ci...a-deputies-sho

It'll be interesting to see who is charged and who isn't.
    Let's say this happened in Detroit. You have a slim chance the police will actually respond. What do you do? Wait until the door gets kicked in? You're sitting there in the dark. You know someone's out there. How many? One, three? Where are they all? Hope you can go out the front and get the drop on them before they get the drop on you? Maybe you won't get a chance like Zimmerman did? Maybe he/they won't let you up for air. I'm not saying this guy was right. He'll probably be convicted and end up serving time in the wake of the Zimmerman/Martin outcome. But the the guy in his driveway, @ 2 a.m. in the morning, moving his hand toward his wasteband, he was totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I'm betting that this will not be GZ part two. There are too many indicators to suggest the victim was up to no good.
    I agree. Trayvon was just walking home from the store. He wasn't in anybody's backyard by anyone's back door. He was walking in plain view in the common area to get back to his father's place. This guy, however, was out at 2am by someone's back door, plus had a history of b&e. Totally different scenarios. But then again, this is America. A chocolate cake and a blueberry pie are the same thing to most people. I mean, they are both desserts, right? So in essence, they are the exact same things to most people.

Right or wrong, there is no place in the U.S where you can shoot someone for stealing outside your home [[Not even Texas). Some states have castle doctrine laws where you can use deadly force if someone is attempting to gain entry into your home or vehicle, but you actually have to be inside the vehicle to make that claim. This guy has far less legal justification than Zimmerman did in using deadly force as he did not claim to see a weapon, was not assaulted and he easily could have left the situation. The "he was reaching for something" defense might work for a police officer, but for the average citizen that's going to be a tough sell to a jury. My guess is he will be convicted, but will end up with a relatively light sentence. Of course he'll probably end up all but destitute after the lawyers are done with him.

Trayvon was just walking home from the store. He wasn't in anybody's backyard by anyone's back door. He was walking in plain view in the common area to get back to his father's place.

How do you know this? The timeline does not support TM walking on the sidewalk straight to his father's girlfriends house. GZ reported a suspicious person looking in windows. TM was found previously by police with a breakin tool and stolen jewlery.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Trayvon was just walking home from the store. He wasn't in anybody's backyard by anyone's back door. He was walking in plain view in the common area to get back to his father's place.

How do you know this? The timeline does not support TM walking on the sidewalk straight to his father's girlfriends house. GZ reported a suspicious person looking in windows. TM was found previously by police with a breakin tool and stolen jewlery.
    Never heard that how about providing some documentation in support.
    Last edited by firstandten; August-01-13 at 05:40 AM.

Never heard that how able providing some documentation in support.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...t-trayvon.html

Thank you for providing the link. First of all the article did not state that GZ said that TM was looking into windows. It states that TM looked high on drugs and was walking too slowly in the rain with a hoodie on. That is a big miss on your part. How did you get that in the article. Also how would GZ know he was high, TM was talking on his cell to his girlfriend he had on his hoodie because it was raining. So what if he was walking slowly in the rain hell, it rains so much in Florida people call it liquid sunshine and for many its no big deal. Now about the break-in tool and stolen jewelry there was no report of stolen jewelry however they suspected that it might be stolen, and they found marijuana residue. Bottom line is what did that have to do with what happened with his death, and for you to say not once but twice that GZ said he was looking into windows was irresponsible on your part.

First off, I second what firstandten said. Secondly, Trayvon did have a shotty record, I don't deny that. However, it did not appear at the time Zimmerman spotted him that he was in process of trying to break into anything. In fact, considering he was just visiting his father and went to to the store during halftime of a basketball game, it is quite doubtful his plan was to do a quick b&e and get back home before the third quarter started.

Marshall Coulter appeared to be in the process of initiating a b&e. At someone's backdoor at 2am? What could he have possibly have been doing that was legit at that hour in some strange person's backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    First off, I second what firstandten said. Secondly, Trayvon did have a shotty record, I don't deny that. However, it did not appear at the time Zimmerman spotted him that he was in process of trying to break into anything. In fact, considering he was just visiting his father and went to to the store during halftime of a basketball game, it is quite doubtful his plan was to do a quick b&e and get back home before the third quarter started.

Marshall Coulter appeared to be in the process of initiating a b&e. At someone's backdoor at 2am? What could he have possibly have been doing that was legit at that hour in some strange person's backyard?
    The NBA game started at 8pm est, so this happened before the game. Zimmerman stated to 911 that TM was acting suspicious and looking at houses. I stand corrected about looking in windows. But if you are looking at houses, houses have windows that are easy to look in after dark. So I think its safe to assume he was looking in windows and not just walking straight down the sidewalk. This would look suspicious in a high crime area after dark.

When this incident first happened, I thought GZ was guilty of murder. It just so happened I was home on medical during the trial and basically watched the whole thing. The testimony of the investigating officer was very compelling. I also got to know things the jury didn't. The fact that the police lied to GZ and said they had everything on video. GZ response to that was "Thank God". GZ also demonstrated the whole incident at the scene for the investigators the next day, without a lawyer present. You have to be pretty confident to do that without legal representation. All this combined with the coroner's testimony, the time line, the 911 tapes, background on TM etc. lead me to believe this incident happened the way GZ said. I still think GZ should have stayed in the car, but I understand his frustration with crime and wanting to give police the exact location of this suspicious person. I don't believe GZ is the monster the press has made him out to be.

I don't think TM was a hardened criminal either. He was a troubled youth heading in the wrong direction with his life. I wish he didn't attack GZ and they just talked instead. Maybe GZ could have mentored him as he had other youths. Tragic case all the way around.

The NBA game started at 8pm est, so this happened before the game. Zimmerman stated to 911 that TM was acting suspicious and looking at houses. I stand corrected about looking in windows. But if you are looking at houses, houses have windows that are easy to look in after dark. So I think its safe to assume he was looking in windows and not just walking straight down the sidewalk. This would look suspicious in a high crime area after dark.

When this incident first happened, I thought GZ was guilty of murder. It just so happened I was home on medical during the trial and basically watched the whole thing. The testimony of the investigating officer was very compelling. I also got to know things the jury didn't. The fact that the police lied to GZ and said they had everything on video. GZ response to that was "Thank God". GZ also demonstrated the whole incident at the scene for the investigators the next day, without a lawyer present. You have to be pretty confident to do that without legal representation. All this combined with the coroner's testimony, the time line, the 911 tapes, background on TM etc. lead me to believe this incident happened the way GZ said. I still think GZ should have stayed in the car, but I understand his frustration with crime and wanting to give police the exact location of this suspicious person. I don't believe GZ is the monster the press has made him out to be.

I don't think TM was a hardened criminal either. He was a troubled youth heading in the wrong direction with his life. I wish he didn't attack GZ and they just talked instead. Maybe GZ could have mentored him as he had other youths. Tragic case all the way around.
    Again Downriviera, according to the link you provided GZ never said he was looking at houses, he said he was walking slow nothing in that article said he was looking at houses, windows whatever. Even if he was looking at houses its a big stretch to assume that he might be looking to do a B&E. See its that kind of profiling that upsets African Americans. GZ should have known better I assume he had neighborhood watch training and he should followed his training and the advice of the dispatcher. In my mind he is guilty of bad judgment and I hope the Martin family sues the guy in civil court.
    Last edited by firstandten; August-01-13 at 06:52 PM.

We're getting way off topic and debating whether Trayvon was the aggressor or Zimmerman. There are two huge threads on Non Detroit already devoted to that and I think every aspect of both sides has been discussed. My statement, which it seems you took to say Trayvon was innocent, was not really to defend Trayvon as much as it was to differentiate between the two scenarios. To get back on topic, let me ask you this, do you think it is more suspicious to see someone walking slowly in the rain at evening time with a hoodie on or someone out at 2am inside your backyard by your back door? I think that was the point I was trying to make.

Can we all agree that the vigilante crap has to end????

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    But the the guy in his driveway, @ 2 a.m. in the morning, moving his hand toward his wasteband, he was totally wrong.
    The article never said he was reaching. It considered the possibility, but the reason for the shooting hasn't been released.

That's not the point of the article, anyways. The point is there is a double standard when it comes to police shootings.

A person shoots someone he caught on his property. He claims that the intruder was acting like he was going to shoot. That person is immediately arrested and investigated for homicide.

Another person is shot by cops in his own driveway. He isn't doing anything wrong. He isn't breaking any laws. There is no indication that he is doing anything wrong. Pretty much nothing happens. The cops get put on paid leave for a while during an "investigation."

There's a problem when citizens defending themselves are treated like criminals, while cops can shoot at and/or kill people for little to no reason with very little repercussion.

Again Downriviera, according to the link you provided GZ never said he was looking at houses, he said he was walking slow nothing in that article said he was looking at houses, windows whatever. Even if he was looking at houses its a big stretch to assume that he might be looking to do a B&E. See its that kind of profiling that upsets African Americans. GZ should have known better I assume he had neighborhood watch training and he should followed his training and the advice of the dispatcher. In my mind he is guilty of bad judgment and I hope the Martin family sues the guy in civil court.
    GZ said he was looking at all the houses in the 911 tape, link below. Lots of bad judgement to go around. Bad judgement by GZ to get out of his vehicle. Bad judgement by TM to confront and attack. Bad judgement by TM's parents for letting him out after dark while on suspension from school.

As for the differences in the two shootings, there are many. One theme remains. Lack of parental supervision.

http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...zimmerman.html

Thanks for the new link it clarifies your statement

GZ said he was looking at all the houses in the 911 tape, link below. Lots of bad judgement to go around. Bad judgement by GZ to get out of his vehicle. Bad judgement by TM to confront and attack. Bad judgement by TM's parents for letting him out after dark while on suspension from school.

As for the differences in the two shootings, there are many. One theme remains. Lack of parental supervision.
    ??? Lack of parental supervision? Perhaps you forgot, the incident occurred in February. On the eastern seaboard, sunset in February is somewhere around 6pm. The 911 call was around 7:15 pm.
    So you're saying a 17 year old shouldn't be allowed out of the house at 7:00?
    And the only one to say that Treyvon attacked GZ was GZ. The man who shot him. What else would you expect him to say? He was on trial for murder.

Why do you have such a hard-on for Treyvon? I'm not necessarily defending him or vouching for his character, but all this stuff you say is B.S. GZ had no information regarding him smoking weed, getting in trouble in school, not eating all his spinach, etc. You throwing out whatever dirt you could find about the kid is a strawman. GZ knew none of this. He only saw a kid walking down the street that he decided on his own accord was suspicious.

Awesome point relative to the Martin/ Zimmerman case!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why do you have such a hard-on for Treyvon? I'm not necessarily defending him or vouching for his character, but all this stuff you say is B.S. GZ had no information regarding him smoking weed, getting in trouble in school, not eating all his spinach, etc. You throwing out whatever dirt you could find about the kid is a strawman. GZ knew none of this. He only saw a kid walking down the street that he decided on his own accord was suspicious.

Wow! I walk a lot at night and look at houses all the time. I wouldn't expect any trouble unless I went into somebody's yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    ??? Lack of parental supervision? Perhaps you forgot, the incident occurred in February. On the eastern seaboard, sunset in February is somewhere around 6pm. The 911 call was around 7:15 pm.
    So you're saying a 17 year old shouldn't be allowed out of the house at 7:00?
    And the only one to say that Treyvon attacked GZ was GZ. The man who shot him. What else would you expect him to say? He was on trial for murder.

I know I grew up in different times, but I still think if you are suspended from school you should not be out after dark. I was suspended from school and whipped so hard it hurt to sit. Confined to my room for a month, no TV, radio, games, phone. No going outside day or night.

I favored no sides in this. As I stated earlier I watched the entire trial and my opinions are based on that.

You're right about GZ not knowing TM's background or TM not knowing GZ's background at the time of the incident. It all comes down to the confrontation and attack. You're saying the only one to say TM attacked is GZ, but the investigators are saying this too. They had all the evidence, facts, witness testimony, timeline etc. If you're saying that TM did not attack GZ, then we can agree to disagree because the investigation does not support this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast