Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hey, Red Cross, - Time to Build a Parking Deck and Give Up That Woodward Frontage

It's time for the Red Cross to build a parking deck so that the southeast corner of Woodward and Mack can be developed into a commercial/residential development like the Ellington. There's too much land being wasted on surface parking. Not sure if they own the old Midas muffler shop site but if the do, they should make a deal with a developer to sell that land to build Ellington II and split the cost with the developer to construct a parking deck for the residents and the Red Cross employees. Wouldn't that be a great coop?
    Last edited by royce; July-27-13 at 07:18 PM.

That would be highly desirable, but we may just have to wait until the land values are high enough make it worth their while; parking decks are expensive.

Someone could make the Red Cross an offer for the land and include building a parking garage in the offer. Much more effective than playing SimCity on the innertubz.

Maybe they will take your advice and build the structure right at Mack and Woodward? Bring us back to the days when Whinkleman's warehouse was kitty-corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Someone could make the Red Cross an offer for the land and include building a parking garage in the offer. Much more effective than playing SimCity on the innertubz.
    Maybe somebody could go play with the model trains in the basement. Much more relevant than pissing on somebody's blue-sky brainstorming.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Maybe somebody could go play with the model trains in the basement. Much more relevant than pissing on somebody's blue-sky brainstorming.
    A basement would be paradise. I haven't seen a basement since I got married in 1961 and left my parent's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Detroit 1949

Attachment 20977

Detroit 1949

Attachment 20977
    Quite a nice set for 1949 a Lionel #671 Turbine pulling #2454 Boxcar, #2465 Tank Car, I cannot make out the car behind the #30 Water Tower, #2460 Crane Car, #2420 Work Caboose, and #6400 series Caboose[[I cannot make out the exact catalog number). The bridge and Tunnel are not Lionel. Although the Bridge looks to be Marx.

From what I understand from my friends at the Prismatic Club the Red Cross can be quite prickly to deal with when it comes to the Woodward Campus.

I'm guessing the Red Cross is more concerned with, you know, blood donation and disaster relief than SimCity power politics.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Quite a nice set for 1949 a Lionel #671 Turbine pulling #2454 Boxcar, #2465 Tank Car, I cannot make out the car behind the #30 Water Tower, #2460 Crane Car, #2420 Work Caboose, and #6400 series Caboose[[I cannot make out the exact catalog number). The bridge and Tunnel are not Lionel. Although the Bridge looks to be Marx.
    Car behind the water tower was a side-dumping coal car operated from the remote control/uncoupling track.

Car behind the water tower was a side-dumping coal car operated from the remote control/uncoupling track.
    This set must have belonged to you?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-29-13 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That would be highly desirable, but we may just have to wait until the land values are high enough make it worth their while; parking decks are expensive.

Just so. Surface parking is a symptom of low land value. When land values go up a bit, it becomes economically feasible to build multistory parking decks, and when land values go up even more, it is unreasonable to provide parking for everyone who might want to be in a place, as in much of the CBDs of New York and DC, for instance. Then at least some people will find other ways to get to the core areas, because parking becomes a combination of difficult and expensive.

A parking situation in any urban environment is simply a function of the economics of that environment at a point in time. Parking is a symptom, not a cause. The only caveat to that is required parking, zoning regulations, which are a matter of local governments' views of what an area ought to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    A parking situation in any urban environment is simply a function of the economics of that environment at a point in time. Parking is a symptom, not a cause. The only caveat to that is required parking, zoning regulations, which are a matter of local governments' views of what an area ought to look like.
    Stop using your market force hyperbole, don't you know we want it [[TOD density) now!?!

In conclusion, I agree. We need to walk before we can run!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    This set must have belonged to you?
    Yes, I am on the left and my brother is on the right. My father traded his deer hunting rifle to the owner of Earl's Hardware for the set.