Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Critical Mass

Default Critical Mass

I had ridden in the Critical Mass last night and really enjoyed myself. This is my second year riding with the movement. Had anyone on this site ridden with the group? Does anyone disagree with the groups holding up traffic as it ride through the neighborhoods and downtown? Are there more bicycle group like this one in Detroit and throughout the country?

I have, and I really like it. At least in the summer, it starts late enough that there really isn't much traffic to hold up. Maybe on a day with a home Tigers night game that isn't true, but I haven't done that. There are Critical Mass rides in other cities, and in some other places there are more cars to annoy, and sometimes there is unpleasantness.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I have, and I really like it. At least in the summer, it starts late enough that there really isn't much traffic to hold up. Maybe on a day with a home Tigers night game that isn't true, but I haven't done that. There are Critical Mass rides in other cities, and in some other places there are more cars to annoy, and sometimes there is unpleasantness.
    Sorry for the misspelling. I had meant Critical Mass as the Thread. I know of areas where traffic is very low where the Critical Mass could travel. E Vernor from Gratiot to St Jean is one. Forest Avenue from Russell to Gratiot is another. I love riding in the group but can relate to the frustration of drivers. I would be nice if there are areas the group could travel to without causing delay in traffic

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I know of areas where traffic is very low where the Critical Mass could travel. E Vernor from Gratiot to St Jean is one. Forest Avenue from Russell to Gratiot is another. I love riding in the group but can relate to the frustration of drivers. I would be nice if there are areas the group could travel to without causing delay in traffic
    Messing up motor vehicle traffic is kinda the point of Critical Mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critica..._%28cycling%29

Unfortunately there is a Critical Mass here in San Francisco. Rude, obnoxious and a royal pain in the ass. But that's the case with about half of the cyclists here.

I've been to that mall. But I won't be going back. What a terrible shopping experience! Everyone there was so judgmental and always trying to tell you what to do. Plus they seemed to be getting in everyone else's way all the time just for the hell of it.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-28-13 at 01:09 PM.