Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Eastern Market

Default Eastern Market

I went to Eastern Market this morning for the first time this year [[On a Saturday). There are a couple things I've noticed. First, there might be as many real farmers at Royal Oak Farmers Market as Eastern Market. Most of the stands are just reselling produce from wholesalers, the same stuff you can buy at say Westborn Market for prices that may be equal to or more expensive. Second thing is that Devries and Rockys really jacked up the prices to the point its cheaper to buy the same exact item at Holiday Market then to buy it down there. For example, a little jar of McClure's relish is 6.50 at Devries. At Holiday market its 4.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I went to Eastern Market this morning for the first time this year [[On a Saturday). There are a couple things I've noticed. First, there might be as many real farmers at Royal Oak Farmers Market as Eastern Market. Most of the stands are just reselling produce from wholesalers, the same stuff you can buy at say Westborn Market for prices that may be equal to or more expensive. Second thing is that Devries and Rockys really jacked up the prices to the point its cheaper to buy the same exact item at Holiday Market then to buy it down there. For example, a little jar of McClure's relish is 6.50 at Devries. At Holiday market its 4.99.
    Well Cliffy, of course, all those things are true.

I don't go to the Eastern Market to parse over prices. I go for the experience of it all - the crush of people from all over, all of the other things being sold, the vendors of art and items, the antique store, the French styled boutique called Savvy Chic, the new Detroit Merchantile shop with old Detroit stuff, the new arts and crafts gallery, the vendors selling over the bridge [[when they are allowed), the Gratiot meat market, the new galleries dedicated to the old print arts, Salt & Cedar and Signal Return, Cheap Charlies on Gratiot where you can find just plain stuff, the Supino's, the pizza place with dough so thin it must be what they call pizza in LA, the new galleries where the kids new to Detroit and the suburban kids hang out, the restaurants for breakfast, running into folks I haven't seen for 40 years, the plants and flowers and trees for sale.

Devries might be more expensive, but I'm glad they reopened that store. I stay away from Rocky's, can't take the temptation of too much good stuff.

Perhaps those other markets you named are closer to you. Perhaps, because of the price issues you named, for you, a trip to the Eastern Market is not worth the drive, time nor effort.

But for me it is a 10 minute walk from my house - though I seldom walk - and I love every minute that I'm there. It is not uncommon for me to spend an entire daytime at the market, just hanging out. I mean literally, all day. Lately, I've been stopping at "the Container" that sits across from Burts [[ah yes, Burt's is a market institution all by itself, even though they've stopped him from having tables in the street), and having conversations about Detroit.

Today I'm going late, and by the time I get there, many of the prices will be way less than any of those other places. I love the Eastern Market. I pay for the experience.
    Last edited by marshamusic; July-28-13 at 04:25 AM.

I agee whole heartedly!

Exactly.

I took a couple from Amsterdam on a tour of Detroit this morn and they seemed to like the Market the most of all the sites we visited. The Packard was a close second.

I dig the way you write Marsha. Its got a great flow.

The Rocky Peanut Company has been overpriced for decades, the one exception is their spices are reasonably priced. Marsha has it right go late for the deals and go for the experience!

Look I'm not doubting the experience or the fun but they used to have really great prices. I could get Columela Olive Oil for the best price down there. Now, not so. I guess I consider myself a food elitist and IMO, the only thing worth it is the local farmers, Devries, and fairway packing. I'm not sure about that new Adams Market. I haven't gone in there yet.

Well you can always shop Whole Foods instead if you don't want to shop at Eastern Market Cliffy!

eastern market has become a tourist trap, is true!

First it is Calamatta Olive oil and frankly I might be spelling it wrong too. Love that stuff, it is the crappiest of olive oils, being a third press but I like its light flavor. Still available by the gal for cheap but find your own sources.

Adore Eastern Market and always have. Worked there for 5 yrs or so. It was kind of crazy but I like the edge. 3 shifts of bums, all different agendas.

The jobbers, the guns, the overt/covert hostility between the old style companies was fascinating. These guys would have 15K or more in their pockets. Sadly most of those companies are gone.

I love the Eastern Market. I do like the idea that more businesses are opening in the market. I bicycle shop just popped up in one of the store fronts hoping to be a permanent fixture in the market. You cant get anymore organic than the Eastern Market. I just wish that the strip of Gratiot from Russell to Jay had more stores in it besides the Candle store, Trinosophes, and the art store. I would love to see a health food store, a bakery, and even a pet store open on that strip.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I love the Eastern Market. I do like the idea that more businesses are opening in the market. I bicycle shop just popped up in one of the store fronts hoping to be a permanent fixture in the market. You cant get anymore organic than the Eastern Market. I just wish that the strip of Gratiot from Russell to Jay had more stores in it besides the Candle store, Trinosophes, and the art store. I would love to see a health food store, a bakery, and even a pet store open on that strip.
    Where did you see the bike shop? I haven't seen it; it would be nice to have another one close by.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Good suggestions. A restaurant is going to open soon on Gratiot near Russel. They have done an awesome job restoring the art deco exterior. Biggest problem on Gratiot is parking. My church St John St Luke has agreed to let them use our lot.

Maybe we could get Arise Bakery to expand or relocate. A pet shop would be great too. I like to keep my business close to home. I use M&M on East Warren currently. My dogs are so spoiled. I'd love a cat but they don't want more competition for my attention. I sort of inherited all of them in various ways. I am really more a cat person. A bike shop should do well too, sadly I no longer bike. I do have a motorized scooter though but I rarely bring it out as neighbor kids think it a great toy.

Busy Bee hardware on gratiot/Russel has parking now. 4 generations of family. Great store/good people. I like the True Value on Gratiot near the blvd too. They don't have the selection but their prices are good or better than home depot Cheap Charlie is always fun too.

I've never been in Cheap Charlies. It looks to upscale for my tastes.

I do EM as I can buying within my budget. Yes, it has 'touristy' aspects but that would be expected. And I've heard some of the former farmers are gone... But for sure remaining there are bargains and if I notice something has zoomed up in price I just will not purchase it and let the merchant know.

Thanks for the details on the various vendors and stores MMusic. Cool post!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-28-13 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    First it is Calamatta Olive oil and frankly I might be spelling it wrong too. Love that stuff, it is the crappiest of olive oils, being a third press but I like its light flavor. Still available by the gal for cheap but find your own sources.

Adore Eastern Market and always have. Worked there for 5 yrs or so. It was kind of crazy but I like the edge. 3 shifts of bums, all different agendas.

The jobbers, the guns, the overt/covert hostility between the old style companies was fascinating. These guys would have 15K or more in their pockets. Sadly most of those companies are gone.
    Its actually Columela and its a brand from Spain. I still like it and will be there in a couple weeks but someone needs to get the message to people running it that it would be nice if we can get more farmers. Who knows, maybe the rents they are charging are alot. Not sure. It seems all the farmers head to Royal Oak and possibly Birmingham. Nothing beats local stuff. I can buy Avocados at Krogers!

I think the businesses in Eastern Market are far superior to the weekend farmer's market, which as the topic poster mentioned, is essentially any other Metro Detroit farmer's market, just bigger. Gratiot Meat Market, Bert's, Rafal Spice - places like that beat the pants off of everything else, and it's nice that the allure of the farmer's market packs people into those institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Look I'm not doubting the experience or the fun but they used to have really great prices. I could get Columela Olive Oil for the best price down there. Now, not so. I guess I consider myself a food elitist and IMO, the only thing worth it is the local farmers, Devries, and fairway packing. I'm not sure about that new Adams Market. I haven't gone in there yet.
    What is Fairway Packing? What is Adams Market?

Cliffy, I was very unsettled when I realized that so many of the vendors were selling out of a bag or a box that they had bought...then I was like, oh well. Lol! They gotta make a living, too. I also don't feel so bad when they have to sell dirt cheap at the end of the day; I don't think so much about them toiling in the sun for meager reward, but rather, they just overbought.

Yes, The fact that there are more farmers in the northern markets probably is related to economics.

Most of the time, I don't have time to meander through the whole market, I do all my veggie shopping at Detroit Whole Produce, on Riopelle. They are often more expensive than in the sheds, but it's ok for my basic stuff.
    Last edited by marshamusic; July-28-13 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Maybe we could get Arise Bakery to expand or relocate.
    It's called On the Rise Bakery.

I'll stand corrected. Both names seem appropriate. Any ways, I adore/respect the Caputians for what they do.

They also have a droll sense of humor.

Had masses said during Lent for St Patricks Day and St Josephs Day at their Wednesday Healing services.

Heck, I am not even Catholic. They attract huge crowds and sell a lot of baked goods on Wednesdays.