Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mystery building, Ferndale [[10550 W. 8 Mile)

So, looking on Google Maps, I saw an abandoned building at the NE corner of 8 Mile and Meyers in Ferndale. It's a big long building that appears to have last been used as a car lot, and then as a place called Rent-a-Lift. The address is 10550 W. 8 Mile.

What gets my curiosity is that this building looks suspiciously like it used to be a discount store of some kind, like an Arlan's or something. Anyone know if it ever was one?

That be Royal Oak Township.

The northeast corner of Myers and 8 Mile has a gas station, and just beyond that the cozy Royal Inn motel. If you're talking about the buildings that are to the east of that, those were built as a car dealership [[Mel Farr Ford?) and have been various car dealing businesses over the years. And to the east of that was a Dodge dealer. That is indeed in Royal Oak Township, despite what Google Maps says.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; July-26-13 at 06:37 PM.

I'm talking about the building in this shot right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/KuCSh

It DEFINITELY looks like it was once a discount store, but you're saying it was always a car dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by TenPoundHammer View Post
    I'm talking about the building in this shot right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/KuCSh

It DEFINITELY looks like it was once a discount store, but you're saying it was always a car dealer?

I grew up in that area on the Detroit side, and it started out as a discount department store that I believe was called Shoppers World, back in the mid to late 60's. It also was a chain grocery store at one time as well. Then it was purchased by Mel Farr in the 70's and 80's and converted to a car dealership. Since then, it has virtually been abandoned. There also is a small building directly northwest behind the flophouse motel that was at one time a NBD bank branch.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-26-13 at 09:07 PM.

At first I thought I remembered it to be a Topps.. then I found this that told me Topps was further West at Green/8. Cool old pics here.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=JNu...%20Oak&f=false

That was Mel Farr's but after he lost the Ford Dealership. He had a mega used car lot and had a Hyundai franchise located there when the company was still unknown in the US. http://wardsauto.com/news-amp-analys...ford-part-ways
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-26-13 at 09:24 PM.

Cincinnati Kid: Thanks!

DetroitPlanner: Green-8 Shopping Center is a vacant lot now, isn't it?

Wasn't it Mel Farr that if you didn't make your payments , he had a device implanted in the car and would shut the car off ?

'' There were legal problems surrounding Farr's controversial On-Time Device, which prevented drivers of leased vehicles from starting the car if they missed payments. In June 2000, Farr settled a suit with customers who complained that the device turned off their cars when they were in motion. Many claimed they had not been late with their payments. Each of the 1,500 customers received $200 worth of coupons for their troubles.''

Believe the Arlans was NE corner of Eight mile and Telegraph. My hubby argues Arlans was closer to what is now 96. I am sure he is wrong but wont stake my life on 8 and telegraph either.

lily

^ I found an old directory listing saying that Arlan's was indeed at 8 Mile and Telegraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Believe the Arlans was NE corner of Eight mile and Telegraph. My hubby argues Arlans was closer to what is now 96. I am sure he is wrong but wont stake my life on 8 and telegraph either.

lily

There was also an Arlans on the south side of 8 Mile near Schoenherr in 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    There was also an Arlans on the south side of 8 Mile near Schoenherr in 1961.
    It was on the north east corner of 8 and Schoenherr. Then there was a Shopper's Fair on the Northeast corner of 8 and Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post

lily
    Definitely 8 Mile & Telegraph. I recall shopping there with my parents when I was a young lad.

Arlans was definitely at 8 mile and Telegraph on the west, our family shopped there, and my older brother worked there circa 1972. The building still stands, it has been a manufacturing facility since the department store folded.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It was on the north east corner of 8 and Schoenherr. Then there was a Shopper's Fair on the Northeast corner of 8 and Gratiot.
    You are right, I misremembered. I lived [[briefly) just south of there at Reno and Manning while I worked for the City of Detroit [[in those days, anyone on the city payroll had to live in the city limits). I paid $85 a month [[utilities included) for a one bedroom place which was in a former income flat converted into four apartments.

The Detroit Historical Museum has Mel Farr's Super Star outfit, complete with cape.

I have the same memories with my folks.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    The Detroit Historical Museum has Mel Farr's Super Star outfit, complete with cape.
    Mel and Billy Sims together... pitching cars and flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjjmIQqgyZY

We always went to the Arlan's on Grand Blvd. in the old Packard plant. The store was really pretty raggedy, but I loved it when I was kid because all the old assembly line machinery was still in place overhead. My mom liked it because it was cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Right on top of the speedway. That broke my heart as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    We always went to the Arlan's on Grand Blvd. in the old Packard plant. The store was really pretty raggedy, but I loved it when I was kid because all the old assembly line machinery was still in place overhead. My mom liked it because it was cheap.
    Oh my goodness, I remember that. We would go there, too. The Packard has been closed a LONG time, it was closed even in my childhood.