Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Trash Pick Up in Detroit

The trash pickup in my neighborhood has been a day or so late since the holiday July 4th.
    On holidays it is the standard for them to come the day after the scheduled pickup day. This time they came on the weekend.

In the 10 years I lived in my property the trash was only late once. I called and by the time I got home it was picked up.

I know July 1 is the start of the new fiscal year and I hope the powers that be have not messed up one of the few services that was working well in the city.

I have already asked 5 other people from various areas this morning and they all said the trash has been late. I am going to call the city today to see what is going on. I will let you guys know.

Has any other Detroit residents on this board experienced this lately?

Normally, the trash pick up is a date late if a holiday falls on the day of pick up. For example, if the normal day for pick up is Thursday, and a holiday falls on Thursday, they pick up on Friday. Sometimes this also happens if the holiday falls close to the day of pick up. My normal trash pick up day is Monday. The trash was picked up in my neighborhood around the same time the last four Mondays as it always has been. I haven't noticed any difference around the holiday.

On a side note, since half the neighborhoods in the city no longer exist, trash pick up service should be better as the workload has to be much lighter.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; July-26-13 at 06:40 AM.

[QUOTE=Crumbled_pavement;395787]Normally, the trash pick up is a date late if a holiday falls on the day of pick up. For example, if the normal day for pick up is Thursday, and a holiday falls on Thursday, they pick up on Friday. Sometimes this also happens if the holiday falls close to the day of pick up."

I understand this and they have always come the next day. However, this time they were 3 days late.

"On a side note, since half the neighborhoods in the city no longer exist, trash pick up service should be better as the workload has to be much lighter."

My neighborhood and the others I have spoken too are nice neighborhoods, we have never had a problem with trash pick up until this month. I will call the city to see what is happening. Its still early.

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Normally, the trash pick up is a date late if a holiday falls on the day of pick up. For example, if the normal day for pick up is Thursday, and a holiday falls on Thursday, they pick up on Friday. Sometimes this also happens if the holiday falls close to the day of pick up.

I understand this and they have always come the next day. However, this time they were 3 days late.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    On a side note, since half the neighborhoods in the city no longer exist, trash pick up service should be better as the workload has to be much lighter.
    My neighborhood and the others I have spoken too are nice neighborhoods, we have never had a problem with trash pick up until this month. I will call the city to see what is happening. Its still early.
    That's terrible. They've never been three days late in my neighborhood [[which is so-so). They have a few times come late at night, never three days later though. It does make me curious as to what is going on. Like I said, so far so good in my neighborhood - at least as far as trash pick up goes.

I totally know what you mean. Our trash pick up is so sporadic. Supposed to be Friday, sometimes they come sometimes not. Even had it picked up one time at 11pm.

Lately they come on Sunday, half the street gets picked up. Assuming this is a union thing?

My street is really good at dragging out containers and dragging them in. 7 households were "missed" last week. 3 of us dragged our trash back and 4 did not. Can't say as I blame them, but those ugly containers make a neighborhood look street.

"Lately they come on Sunday, half the street gets picked up. Assuming this is a union thing?"

Actually I know city workers and when I have complained about services- it is the contractors that cause the problem. Lack of oversight mainly. When services are contracted out complaints go through more channels and take longer to correct.
    For instance, I complained about how long it took for DWSD to cash my check for a water bill. I learned that they no longer use a bank with a local branch [[I think it was Comerica) they use a bank out of state. Anyway, the new bank was cheaper but did not provide the same level of service.

Like I said I have never had problems with trash pickup in the 10 years I have lived here until now. I am working on getting to the bottom of this. I dont want them to just send someone out to collect the trash. I believe there is a change in the process/business rules and I want to know if it is permanent.

Dang! I couldnt get anything good out my contacts. It may not be anything.
    In summary...I was asked if I was on the East side and general response when we run behind, we have to get it on the following day. They will be in my area later today.

I tried to get the info on why she asked if I was on the east side, to see if the east side was being targeted, but I know its not. You know I had to check with the West Sider- no complaints so far.

Most services in the city are broken up by some kind of district and they have taken care of my district well over the years.

The scheduled day has not changed and from I can gather the process has not changed.

Interesting, when did we get contractors? Hope you do figure this out. East west north south, the trash pickup has been odd. I have ties to most areas and delays and selective service strange.

No, that was just me trying to find a problem where there ended up not being one. They have been behind schedule on some areas of the east side. I think its more of a result from backlog due to holiday and the district I live in more so than contracting out and business changes.
    It just never really happened before and I was scared one of the last services that I could rely on in the city had been screwed up.
    I will give them this one but if it continues, then we will have a problem.

In Woodbridge I could have set my watch by the garbagemen on Friday morning.

It's been coming on Sunday the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

Saturday's, back in the day, used to be time-and-a-half, Sunday's, double-time. Do these rules still apply? If the tardiness is due to Pick-Up people being let go, how much extra O.T. is being spent after a year of Sunday pick-ups?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-26-13 at 09:54 AM.

trash pickup was 2 days abnormally late last week in 48216

I got a communique from the powers that be [[actually THE power that is in charge of trash pickup) last week. Equipment problems. It seems the trucks are breaking down [[not unlike the buses, I guess). It has nothing to do with holidays or anything like that, and they're aware of the problems. Happening here in EEV [[where said king trashman lives), as well as throughout the city.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I got a communique from the powers that be [[actually THE power that is in charge of trash pickup) last week. Equipment problems. It seems the trucks are breaking down [[not unlike the buses, I guess). It has nothing to do with holidays or anything like that, and they're aware of the problems. Happening here in EEV [[where said king trashman lives), as well as throughout the city.
    I understand less people less trucks equal time delays but still do not understand selective pickups. Sometimes its one side of the street only and sometimes every other household.

EEV pickup is Thursday, lately it has been a Saturday pickup. Lived there for years and still have family and friends there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

Us too, 48214, Sundays has become the norm for the last several months.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This makes sense, because like I said it has never been a problem until a few weeks ago. It also explains why I saw a blue garbage truck with the initials AW on the side going through the harper/94 neighborhood as I was going down the entrance ramp on the I-94 freeway. [[one of the reasons I was worried about contractors).

No matter how many workers show up if the trucks are down they can only get to so many areas in a day. Poobert can you talk to your source and see what the problem is- did they lay off mechanics or is it just time to replace the trucks? Are they working on a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by 48205to24 View Post
    This makes sense, because like I said it has never been a problem until a few weeks ago. It also explains why I saw a blue garbage truck with the initials AW on the side going through the harper/94 neighborhood as I was going down the entrance ramp on the I-94 freeway. [[one of the reasons I was worried about contractors).

No matter how many workers show up if the trucks are down they can only get to so many areas in a day. Poobert can you talk to your source and see what the problem is- did they lay off mechanics or is it just time to replace the trucks? Are they working on a solution?
    The "solution" Kevyn Orr is working on is privatizing trash pickup as soon as possible. He's made no secret of this.

Whether the irregularities are a legitimate coincidence, or whether someone is trying to make the case for privatization by making DPW look as inefficient as possible, I couldn't begin to say. But it appears that privatization is going to happen regardless, probably in the next month or two.

I wonder if since Orr is talking about outsourcing garbage pick up there is no urgency to fix the broken equipment now. Our garbage pick-up was hardly EVER late up until about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I wonder if since Orr is talking about outsourcing garbage pick up there is no urgency to fix the broken equipment now. Our garbage pick-up was hardly EVER late up until about a month ago.
    It's certainly convenient for him if he can take credit for a such-and-such percent "improvement" in reliability since trash pickup was outsourced. It wouldn't be the first time someone pulled that kind of bait-and-switch in this town. *cough* Mark Aesch *cough*

In the Las Vegas area, including 'burbs, trash pickup is done by a private firm for which we pay $50 every three months. The city or county has nothing to do with it. Trash pickup is twice a week, and recycled items picked up every other week. The city or county therefore has NO employees involved in this.

Why Detroit and other communities have city workers doing this is beyond me. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Our trash day is Wednesday. [[48204) In the past 3-5 years or so it's gone from Monday to Tues. to now Wednesday after being on Monday for years. On Mondays, you could pretty much set your clock to the pick up time give or take an hour or two. No missed days except for holidays and it was always picked up the next day. Then pick up day changed to Tues., still somewhat reliable but since it was changed to Wednesday, pick up times are different every week. You never know when, 10 AM?, 4PM?, 10PM?, Thursday?? They have come after 10PM. This past Wed., it was after 5.

I have some small branches trimmed from the tree in front of my house. They were hanging down too low and a grass clippings bag. They've been on the curb since last week. Usually stuff like that has been picked up the same or next day, who knows when now. It's not a big pile, just a few branches not a thick tree trunk.
    Last edited by msamslex; July-26-13 at 11:19 AM.

Outsourcing is my fear, because once a contractor gets the contract, no matter how sucky the service- no matter how you complain [[if you have someone to complain to)- it wont change. The city does not deal with contractors or ensure the contractors operate efficiently.
    At least if it is done by the city, we have someone to contact to get them out, we own the trucks and know what the hold up is. If you call them they will come out. I just didnt call until today because I didnt think it would continue.

The number I found to call and get them out is DPW #224-3901 found at this link
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...blicWorks.aspx

Oh well if outsourcing is a definite, I will start double bagging because their will probably be instances where my husband will need to take the trash to the city garbage dump as backup. Like we do with bulk, since bulk day is now only once a month and yard waste is now only twice a month.

I have some small branches trimmed from the tree in front of my house. They were hanging down too low and a grass clippings bag. They've been on the curb since last week. Usually stuff like that has been picked up the same or next day, who knows when now. It's not a big pile, just a few branches not a thick tree trunk.[/QUOTE]

They only get yard waste twice a month. I believe 48204 is 1rst and 3rd trash pick up of the month.

[QUOTE=Ray1936;395879]In the Las Vegas area, including 'burbs, trash pickup is done by a private firm for which we pay $50 every three months. The city or county has nothing to do with it. Trash pickup is twice a week, and recycled items picked up every other week. The city or county therefore has NO employees involved in this.

Because that would be $200 on top of the taxes we already pay. I would be for this if the city said ok you owe a flat fee of $500 just for living in the city and then everyone 18+ resident/property owner would pay for the each additional service they got $50 for trash, $10 for Belle Isle, $20 for access to other parks, $100 for roads, $200 for schools, etc. It would be like an invoice, those that dont pay dont get the service.

Until then, as long as I pay thousands of dollars in income and property taxes and they cant maintain the contracts they have resulting in redundant work then no I dont want to pay anymore. If you cant reduce my taxes or improve the service with the fix dont bother it until you cant. If you are going to cut the cost by contracting but the service still sucks and you use the money to pay for additional politicians and consults, then I would rather see that money to go to retirees and fellow residents.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    Same here...I'm on the SW side, near Clark Park. Until recently trash pickup was always on Monday mornings. Then it started getting later on Mondays [[sometimes well into the evening.), and eventually started slipping until Tuesdays. Last week it was three days late.