Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wayne State history book

I know some of the posters on this board are Wayne State alumni- so I wanted to let you know about a book that WSU Press just put out: a photographic history of Wayne State University.

http://wsupress.wayne.edu/books/1082...in-Photographs

Also, I'm giving a talk in Canton about the book, July 22, 7pm.

http://www.metrotimes.com/calendar/e...?whatID=126129

Any pictures of the sub-basement of Old Main?

Lorax Guest

Any photos of the Japanese garden around the McGregor Memorial? It really needs renovation the last time I went there.

The book has a picture of McGregor's sculpture garden [[taken when houses still stood on Second Avenue.) No sub-basement photos, though there is a picture of Old Main while it was under construction, along with medical school students from the 1890s, images of the neighborhood before it was developed into a campus, barracks used as temporary classrooms in the 1940s, student protests and demonstrations in the 1960s, and lots of other images from the university's 140-year history.

Ok, I'm curious. Why the interest in the sub-basement of Old Main?

Evelyn. The book looks interesting. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Thanks, 48202. I know it's at Marwils's, and area Barnes and Nobles, including the campus bookstore. It's also at WSU's Purdy Library, and I think the DPL as well.

Q: "Ok, I'm curious. Why the interest in the sub-basement of Old Main?"

I'm not sure what interests E.D. about the sub-basement, but, in the late sixties, some "better living through chemistry" dalliances occurred there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Q: "Ok, I'm curious. Why the interest in the sub-basement of Old Main?"

I'm not sure what interests E.D. about the sub-basement, but, in the late sixties, some "better living through chemistry" dalliances occurred there!
    Actually, when they fixed up Old Main a few years back for ~$70M, there were a lot of photos taken including those of the sub-basement. Of course rumors abound that there are old vaults down there, etc. More than likely just plumbing. The South End had a blurb about it and said that the Labor Studies building had a photo montage, but when I went there they didn't know what I was talking about.

So, just an idle curiosity that comes up when someone mentions photos... or when I'm in the basement of Old Main and see the sealed "sewer cap" type entrances to the sub-basement.

Thanks for the info, Bobl and East Detroit. Always learning stuff at Detroityes.

In 9 years [[2018) WSU will celebrate its Sesquicentennial [[150 years).