Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Has Anyone Else Been Finding Silver Certificates Lately?

Just this week I've received two $1 silver certificates in change from different local retailers. They have blue serial numbers instead of green, series 1957 and 1957A. This is very unusual. I've only seen a few of these in my memory. I'm wondering whether someone recently dumped their collection into circulation and why? FWIW, I've heard that silver prices have risen recently.

1. Has anyone else been seeing these lately?
    2. Are they worth much more than $1 [[to, say, a collector)?

Sounds like dopey ripped off his grandma's longtime cash stash jar and didn't notice anything when he paid for the 40. Fun find for you though. Worth more than a dollar.

A collector would expect to pay about $12 to $15 to buy a 1957 A uncirculated $1 Silver Certificate. A retailer, such as a coin shop, would probably pay you less than that since they need to make a profit when selling it.

somewhere in my desk I have silver certificates. Maybe I got ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sounds like dopey ripped off his grandma's longtime cash stash jar and didn't notice anything when he paid for the 40. Fun find for you though. Worth more than a dollar.
    Link repair: How much is a 1957-A $1 Silver Certificate worth?

Thanks.

If no one else is finding these then this must just be a lucky fluke.

If I registered them with Where's George, I doubt they would ever show up again. I guess I'll just keep them as novelties.